Quantcast
Disney with disabilities? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Disney with disabilities?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Disney with disabilities?

I know @rage2 had some great suggestions regarding the private guide option, or whatever they call that. Has anyone used the "disability access services" at Disney?
    . Disability Access Service (DAS)
    Learn more about how this service works and the exciting new features that are now available.
    Accommodating Guests with Disabilities
    Disney Parks have an unwavering commitment to providing a welcoming, inclusive environment and accessible experiences for our Guests. As part of this commitment, Disability Access Service (DAS) is a program offered at Walt Disney World theme parks to assist Guests who have difficulty tolerating extended waits in a conventional queue environment due to a disability.
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en...ccess-service/

Interested in personal experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I know @rage2 had some great suggestions regarding the private guide option, or whatever they call that. Has anyone used the "disability access services" at Disney?

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en...ccess-service/

Interested in personal experiences.
    My co-worker recently got back (Anaheim) and one of his summaries was "finally we got to enjoy some advantages from having a disabled kid!"
    I recall him mentioning that they just needed to be organized and make bookings with whatever the DAS Pass let them do and it all went really well. I think he said Genie+ knew they had DAS, so it was all pretty slick. He said they managed to get on a lot of rides within a full day.

I believe his one kid is in a wheelchair and cognitively impaired, so I'm not sure of what criteria were needed to be met. I would find out before hacking off a kid's thumb with a meat cleaver or something.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Had a coworker that used to abuse the original disability service with an autistic son. It used to be as good as the VIP host for rides, basically free rein on lightning lanes, and exit as entrance. It was so good that handicap people would sell themselves as a guest of yours so you can take advantage of it. $500 a day gets you VIP access the entire day.

Disney killed that off from the rampant abuse, and you see what you have here. Basically a couple of Lightning lane passes. You're better off getting Genie+ for more rides/day.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

We went to Disney once with my dad in an air cast from a ski accident the week before.

Was basically a free for all.

They have way pulled back on it
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Unless something has change since Nov 2022, you guys are sorely mistaken. DAS is basically a cheat code and you DO NOT need to get Genie+ at all.

- You get to pre-select 2 DAS eligible rides ahead of your trip for your entire party per day you have tickets to the park.
    - DAS and rider swap means someone in your party can go twice for whatever ride you've selected - even for paid rides like Cosmic Rewind.
    - DAS works for character meets.
    - Fireworks, Parades and shows get DAS dedicated seating, which is prime seating/view.
    - The moment you scan your entire party you can start booking your next DAS and anyone in your group can do it.
    - For rides 15 mins or less you can talk to a cast member and tell them you have DAS and they MIGHT just let you through lightning lane. This obviously varies depending on who you talk to.

With proper use of DAS you won't ever have downtime unless you choose to. I know I'm missing other perks/benefits, but this is what I can remember off the top of my head. It is game changing.

BRB breaking my leg.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

That’s a far cry from the days of walking in through to exit to whatever ride you want all day long

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Kg810 View Post
    Unless something has change since Nov 2022, you guys are sorely mistaken. DAS is basically a cheat code and you DO NOT need to get Genie+ at all.

- You get to pre-select 2 DAS eligible rides ahead of your trip for your entire party per day you have tickets to the park.
    - DAS and rider swap means someone in your party can go twice for whatever ride you've selected - even for paid rides like Cosmic Rewind.
    - Fireworks, Parades and shows get DAS dedicated seating, which is prime seating/view.
    - The moment you scan your entire party you can start booking your next DAS and anyone in your group can do it.
    - For rides 15 mins or less you can talk to a cast member and tell them you have DAS and they MIGHT just let you through lightning lane. This obviously varies depending on who you talk to.

With proper use of DAS you won't ever have downtime unless you choose to. I know I'm missing other perks/benefits, but this is what I can remember off the top of my head. It is game changing.
    This is closer to what I heard from my friend and timeframe.
    I'll have a chance to confirm with him later this week.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

Following

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Kg810 View Post

Everything you’ve explained (minus character meet) can be accomplished using genie+. With genie+ you can split off the group as well for parts of the day. I wasn’t aware of prime seating. Id rather pay for genie+ than to pretend to be handicapped.

That’s a far cry from the days of walking in through to exit to whatever ride you want all day long
    This. The old setup was pretty much vip without the host. The current setup is like genie+ but free.

Btw, you can do it at calaway park too. We went with an autistic kid once, and the shitty rollercoaster was tolerable when there’s no wait compared to the usual 45 mins. Just need to get this card, which is ridiculously easy.

https://access2card.ca/
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It was so good that handicap people would sell themselves as a guest of yours so you can take advantage of it. $500 a day gets you VIP access the entire day.
    Haha that's fucking wild
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Everything you’ve explained (minus character meet) can be accomplished using genie+. With genie+ you can split off the group as well for parts of the day. I wasn’t aware of prime seating. Id rather pay for genie+ than to pretend to be handicapped.
    I really don't think you understand the differences. So no it isn't just character meets. Let's look at it differently, here's everything Genie+ has to deal with that DAS doesn't:

Genie+
    - $15-$29USD per ticket per day you choose to purchase it
    - You'll still need to buy lightning lanes as not all attractions are on Genie+
    - Limited to one use per ride
    - Limited availability
    - Limited to 120 rule
    - Cannot pick times - you take what you can get
    - No advanced pre-selection before you arrive
    - Cannot use it for fireworks, parades and shows
    - Cannot use it for character meets
    - Meal planning is less efficient due to points above
    - How you get around the park is less efficient due to the points above

No one is telling you to pretend to be handicapped. Is this thread not about doing Disney WITH a disability? So your advice of skipping DAS in favor of paying for Genie+ is seriously wrong.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't think anyone should pretend to be handicapped for perks.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I just assumed it was pretending to be handicapped when it was leading with a comparison to VIP. If it wasn't, then my bad. People are still abusing this, but it's not worth it based on the feedback from the person I know that abused the old and current system. Funny this came up because one of the people I know that abused this just came back and we had a chat about it.

Going through your points, I think you're exaggerating a lot of the points. Cost is 100% a big differentiator, but overall the DAS program is very similar to Genie+. Only 1 ride has DAS without lightning lane, think it was pirates of the Caribbean. DAS return times are the same as genie+, with the exception that it doesn't expire (which if you drag it out lower your # of additional bookings). Advanced selection is there, again, small advantage there but just for Disneyland.

This is for Disneyland. I think there's advantages in using DAS + Genie+ at DW due to how busy it is, and by using both you get way more rides than just doing Genie+ pre bookings.

Regardless, if you genuinely have a use for DAS by all means do it. It's clearly laid out why DAS is there, and it's a no brainer. Your goal isn't to maximize rides, but to give a good experience to the person needing it. Abusing the system is kinda shitty for people that actually need it, and I'm glad these changes made it so the people I know that used to abuse it stopped doing so. Extraslow sounded like he was looking for a loophole and I 100% discourage it. IF that wasn't the case, I apologize for being aggressive about it.

My Ride
    *The First*

LoL as if he was going to pretend and as if the Bawss was coming off as hostile.

Name:  u6dVYe.gif
Views: 187
Size:  722.5 KB

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm surprised how many people are willing to do what it takes for Disneyland. The people I knew abusing the system were religious never swearing types. You just never know haha.

I'm all for figuring out how to game Disney to get the best experience, I mean, @ThePenIsMightier and I chatted about all our tricks over drinks at Disneyland last year. The line is drawn at abusing DAS. That's all.

We went to Disney once with my dad in an air cast from a ski accident the week before.

Was basically a free for all.

They have way pulled back on it
    You think your dad claimed just the air cast?
    Probably told them other stuff out of your ear shot.

This. The old setup was pretty much vip without the host. The current setup is like genie+ but free.

Btw, you can do it at calaway park too. We went with an autistic kid once, and the shitty rollercoaster was tolerable when there’s no wait compared to the usual 45 mins. Just need to get this card, which is ridiculously easy.

https://access2card.ca/
    If you really want to do this, consider respite work. Lots of people need the help.
    Talked to a guy that did this for a guy that loved the Flames, saw all the Flames games. Said it started out as a watch the games but also got to know the guy and created a good lasting friendship with him. Turned into going to the game with a buddy that both enjoyed it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    You think your dad claimed just the air cast?
    Probably told them other stuff out of your ear shot.
    You didn’t used to have to justify anything. Visible handicap/injury and you could go to town

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah sorry about the confusion from the first post. We have a family member who would almost certainly qualify for the DAS program based on their disability, and if they didn't qualify, we'd look into the genie+ thing.
    I'm not a big Disney guy, been exactly once, and that was as a (young) adult without kids. But hey maybe every kid should go once, right? And I have kids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast