Quantcast
Help needed, garage door not staying up - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Help needed, garage door not staying up

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,100
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Help needed, garage door not staying up

    My warehouse guy decided to spray our garage door opener with some wd40 to lube the areas and now when we open it up, it doesnt stay open and just drops down slowly til it closes. Its the lift master side mount med duty. Tried everything and google but i guess this is not common or im a moron and cant search properly. Anyone know the potential causes or have a trusted repair guy? Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Upstairs
    My Ride
    Natural Gas.
    Posts
    13,638
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Tony at Best doors inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    look, if you stick your dick on my shoulder, then I'm gonna stick my dick on your shoulder. That's how shoulder dicks work.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Strathmore
    My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax
    Posts
    2,231
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Lubing a track won't cause this. Sounds like either the emergency pull isn't fully reset or your springs have failed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,100
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Calling Tony now, Thanks!

    They lubed the unit itself too, the pulley wheels and around there
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,100
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lubing a track won't cause this. Sounds like either the emergency pull isn't fully reset or your springs have failed.
    I also dont see an emergency pull but this is a commercial door and if the springs failed would the door still be able to be opened? The door opens like normal but once it opens all the way it stops as normal and then just slowly drops down, tried to stop it mid way and same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    V8s
    Posts
    4,716
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Disclaimer: this won't be helpful at this point, but it bears mentioning...

    WD-40 is not really a lubricant, it's a penetrant. It might have some lubricating properties, but I wouldn't using it for that purpose.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Strathmore
    My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax
    Posts
    2,231
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disclaimer: this won't be helpful at this point, but it bears mentioning...

    WD-40 is not really a lubricant, it's a penetrant. It might have some lubricating properties, but I wouldn't using it for that purpose.
    It also sucks as a penetrant and really serves no purpose I have found.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    403
    My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's
    Posts
    6,608
    Rep Power
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It also sucks as a penetrant and really serves no purpose I have found.
    Dust and grime collection.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Elbonia
    My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus
    Posts
    6,854
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    WD-40 is great at displacing. Use it to clean out areas before using the real lubricant. The solvent flushes old shit out really well, when the solvent flashes off it leaves behind the light oil as a temporary protectant. Then use your preferred lubricant as a final step.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    4,348
    Rep Power
    90

    Default

    Usually it's the spring that needs tightening.
    Caution should be used. Enough force to end your life if done wrong.

    Lube to keep your door up? Laughed at the premise.
    Works for other stuff, why not the door? Lol

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    DT 780
    My Ride
    LEXUS LX470
    Posts
    1,527
    Rep Power
    68

    Default

    if lube is not working to keep it up, you may need some time of over the counter or prescription medication.

    However, If the door stays up for more than 4 hours, call your health care provider.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

  12. #12
    Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Rage2
    Posts
    3,868
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    likely needs the spring tension adjusted, might be one of the set screws isnt completely right and it's slowly backing off the tension, cant really see how this would be related to lubing it, maybe just coincidental.
    User title molested by Rage2.

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked


    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Elbonia
    My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus
    Posts
    6,854
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    If the door is connected to a jackshaft opener as you say, I don't see how the door could fall even with an undertensioned spring. Jackshaft openers are worm-gear driven and it should be basically impossible to backdrive one. There should be a double-clamp that connects the opener to the jackshaft, make sure it's tight and and lubricant-free. If he went buck wild with the lubricant he may have gotten it into the clamp and it's slipping on the jackshaft or opener output shaft.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Strathmore
    My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax
    Posts
    2,231
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the door is connected to a jackshaft opener as you say, I don't see how the door could fall even with an undertensioned spring. Jackshaft openers are worm-gear driven and it should be basically impossible to backdrive one. There should be a double-clamp that connects the opener to the jackshaft, make sure it's tight and and lubricant-free. If he went buck wild with the lubricant he may have gotten it into the clamp and it's slipping on the jackshaft or opener output shaft.
    My main door has a side lift and when its up it will creep down ever so slightly. Haven't been bothered to look at it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    V8s
    Posts
    4,716
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if lube is not working to keep it up, you may need some time of over the counter or prescription medication.

    However, If the door stays up for more than 4 hours, call your health care provider.
    You are on fire today.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,100
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It also sucks as a penetrant and really serves no purpose I have found.
    Agreed

    Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if lube is not working to keep it up, you may need some time of over the counter or prescription medication.

    However, If the door stays up for more than 4 hours, call your health care provider.
    I was actually going to say something viagra related but figured yall would derail this lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    likely needs the spring tension adjusted, might be one of the set screws isnt completely right and it's slowly backing off the tension, cant really see how this would be related to lubing it, maybe just coincidental.
    I actually saw 1 thing mentioning the spring but yeah i aint messing with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he went buck wild with the lubricant he may have gotten it into the clamp and it's slipping on the jackshaft or opener output shaft.
    I was thinking something very similar or it could be the same because i have no idea what the parts are called but there was a rubber belt that goes around 2 pulley wheels and i thought that was slipping but it wasnt.


    Thanks for all the replies but i got a guy coming tomorrow AM. Ill update this once we figure it out
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,655
    Rep Power
    88

    Default

    WD40 is a cleaner that evaporates quickly. It has no other use.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,100
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Usually it's the spring that needs tightening.
    Caution should be used. Enough force to end your life if done wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    likely needs the spring tension adjusted, might be one of the set screws isnt completely right and it's slowly backing off the tension, cant really see how this would be related to lubing it, maybe just coincidental.
    You guys called it! It was the spring tension or lack of. Found a guy on FB to come yesterday just to tell me he had no idea and to call lift master(which i shouldve from the start) and had another guy booked for this afternoon but it was a $250 charge just to come out.
    You'd think this would be a more common thing but i searched all over and only found one mention of potentially the spring so i thought it wasnt but when my trusted beyond brothers mr2mike and Thaco mentioned it I had to try. Went up and had the bars in and not gonna lie it was pretty intimidating knowing how dangerous it could be but once i loosened the tightening bolts there was little to no pressure on the bars so i turned it a 1/4 turn twice and tried the door and you could tell right away it was holding better but still slipping a bit so i did another 2 turns and bingo.

    PM me your email mr2mike and Thaco, ill send you guys some e gift cards for your help. Really appreciate this boys
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Strathmore
    My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax
    Posts
    2,231
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    LOL I originally said the spring may have failed Ok fine it didn't but it still had issues.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    V8s
    Posts
    4,716
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL I originally said the spring may have failed Ok fine it didn't but it still had issues.
    Name:  star.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  5.4 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Raising my garage door- garage door advice

    By craigcd in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 17
    Latest Threads: 04-01-2018, 09:17 AM
  2. Furnace problem - not staying lit

    By Afrodeziak in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 10
    Latest Threads: 10-05-2012, 01:56 PM
  3. Radiator fans staying on!

    By '93 SR-V in forum Mechanical
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 05-15-2009, 08:36 AM
  4. Behind the Wheel - January 25, 2006: Staying Between The Lines

    By skidmark in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 02-01-2006, 02:56 AM
  5. Question about staying at a Hotel....

    By izzoblitzo in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 01-07-2005, 12:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •