Quantcast
AC with single stage furnace? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AC with single stage furnace?

My Ride
    Blue boy

Default AC with single stage furnace?

Hey Beyond,

Has anyone got AC installed on an old single stage furnace? Have gotten a few quotes to install central AC and everyone said it won't work and wanted to sell me a new furnace as well except for one guy who came out and said he can install AC on my dinosaur no problem. Any insight?

Why should it matter.

AC uses the fan...not the two stages of heating...

Even if its a 2 speed fan it shouldnt matter.

(Not a HVAC guy)
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

HVAC companies are mostly shit bags who make more for markups on equipment replacement than anything else.
    You don't need a new furnace.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

The only thing about old furnaces that affect A/C installation is the size and location. I've got some funky ductwork that literally everyone noped out of when getting quotes and said I needed a newer smaller furnace to make it work. Even the most honest guy told me to keep my old furnace and forget about a/c until the old one finally dies on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    The only thing about old furnaces that affect A/C installation is the size and location. I've got some funky ductwork that literally everyone noped out of when getting quotes and said I needed a newer smaller furnace to make it work. Even the most honest guy told me to keep my old furnace and forget about a/c until the old one finally dies on its own.
    In my Renfrew house I had same situation. Guy said the ductwork re-work woukd cost more than a furnace.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    HVAC companies are mostly shit bags who make more for markups on equipment replacement than anything else.
    You don't need a new furnace.
    I agree with that. furnace was made in 1976 and still going strong. i dont want to throw it and put a HE one that's going to break down yearly. just want AC. no duct rework needed. Had one guy give me a quote who came in highly recommended on here, need to install fan controller which isnt worth it and just get a new furnace. The one guy who said he can do AC on my furnace wants $5500 for just AC while the other came in at $3750 for the same AC paired with a new furnace for 9k.

My Ride
    Trucks

Some older furnaces and ducting can’t provide the necessary CFM required to properly cool the house. My 1996 house was marginal when I put a/c in 20 years ago which I improved with a 4” filter box. Manufacturers are now making heat pump units with indoor coils installed above existing furnaces. Having the option of central heat pump heating and natural gas heating for backup is a great design IMO.

Had 3 companies quote my place with original 80s era furnaces (only wanted it on my upstairs furnace). W&J and I think Arpi’s said nope unless you get a new furnace. Smaller owner operated company called Lendrix agreed to it. The furnace even had tiny ductwork, that wouldn’t fit the coil, but he expanded it and made it work. Not pretty nor perfect and you have to understand and agree it’s not going to work optimally/efficiently, but it’s definitely possible if you just don’t want to invest in a new furnace. No regrets in my case… I figure having a/c that works 85% well is better than no a/c at all.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Had 3 companies quote my place with original 80s era furnaces (only wanted it on my upstairs furnace). W&J and I think Arpi’s said nope unless you get a new furnace. Smaller owner operated company called Lendrix agreed to it. The furnace even had tiny ductwork, that wouldn’t fit the coil, but he expanded it and made it work. Not pretty nor perfect and you have to understand and agree it’s not going to work optimally/efficiently, but it’s definitely possible if you just don’t want to invest in a new furnace. No regrets in my case… I figure having a/c that works 85% well is better than no a/c at all.
    Thanks for that info, ill reach out to lendrix as well for a quote

My Ride
    Pipe

I suspect your 1978 furnace does not have the R,W,G,Y,C connections at the control board (likely does not have a control board at all, it likely just has 2 wires that go to your gas valve from your thermostat). When your thermostat calls for AC to come on, the furnace blower motor needs to come on and simultaneously low voltage power is sent to your AC condenser outside to start it up. Furnaces that don't have the R, Y and C terminals on the board aren't set up to have AC added. There are retrofit relay thingy's that will work called a Y block and serve this purpose, but they are finicky and can fail so most companies won't offer these (or don't know they exist). This is likely the reason why no one has been willing to quote you on a new AC with your old furnace.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by Cash Money Hoes View Post
    I suspect your 1978 furnace does not have the R,W,G,Y,C connections at the control board (likely does not have a control board at all, it likely just has 2 wires that go to your gas valve from your thermostat). When your thermostat calls for AC to come on, the furnace blower motor needs to come on and simultaneously low voltage power is sent to your AC condenser outside to start it up. Furnaces that don't have the R, Y and C terminals on the board aren't set up to have AC added. There are retrofit relay thingy's that will work called a Y block and serve this purpose, but they are finicky and can fail so most companies won't offer these (or don't know they exist). This is likely the reason why no one has been willing to quote you on a new AC with your old furnace.
    That explains it, one guy said i would need to replace the fan motor and put in a fan center control which is $$$ apparently and that's why he wants to sell me a new furnace. I will reach out to the one guy who can do it and see how he makes it work, as his quote was ~$1750 more

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

It's hilarious how these guys can't operate "outside the box". I hooked up an entire relay/bypass system for $30 so I could control the fan from upstairs without the thermostat, but they can't get a normal blower to come on without changing half the furnace?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I has A/C installed on a single stage furnace 2 years ago. But my furnace is somewhat newer Lennox Value Series from 2000 era I believe.

But its wired up kinda funky. Not the A/C itself but something is mixed up. My 2nd floor has a switch that turns the furnace fan on to blow cold air up from the basement. That works fine BUT my 2nd floor bathroom, if anyones taking a shower and turns on the bathroom vent fan, that also activates the furnace fan to blow up cold air from the basement. Noticed this during winter why house got cold when that shower was used. Is there a fix for this?
    Last edited by dj_rice; 03-30-2023 at 10:56 AM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    That works fine BUT my 2nd floor bathroom, if anyones taking a shower and turns on the bathroom vent fan, that also activates the furnace fan to blow up cold air from the basement. Noticed this during winter why house got cold when that shower was used. Is there a fix for this?
    That's a feature, not a bug. It helps push hot air from the second floor out of the house, and cycle cold air upstairs.

My Ride
    Taco

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    That explains it, one guy said i would need to replace the fan motor and put in a fan center control which is $$$ apparently and that's why he wants to sell me a new furnace. I will reach out to the one guy who can do it and see how he makes it work, as his quote was ~$1750 more
    I have a 1990's era furnace with only two wires - black/white to a new Rogers wifi thermostat. AC company installed relay box but wouldn't guarantee it would actually work with that thermostat. I had it installed in winter so had to wait to actually try it out. They can turn on the AC from outside to ensure it works but not actually trigger demand from my thermostat in winter. It didn't end up working in the spring so rather than call the company back I just bought 50 feet of HVAC 5 wire cable from Home Depot, fished it through wall and wired it up to my furnace/ thermostat myself - works perfect now.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    That's a feature, not a bug. It helps push hot air from the second floor out of the house, and cycle cold air upstairs.
    This.
    New houses so tight that without the normal leaks, we literally have to push air that we paid to heat outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash Money Hoes View Post
    A workaround is to just leave the furnace blower fan on 24/7 during a/c season. This is what I opted for vs a relay switch. Electricity use isn’t as bad as people might think because you avoid those big draws of power that are needed when starting up the motor from idle.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

So its supposed to do that when someone uses the bathroom fan vent switch as well? The switch that operates only that function is separate on the outside hallway. I thought it would wired separately not together on both switches?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    So its supposed to do that when someone uses the bathroom fan vent switch as well? The switch that operates only that function is separate on the outside hallway. I thought it would wired separately not together on both switches?
    Yes. It's called an interlock. Just read my post again, and think about it logically.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Yes. It's called an interlock. Just read my post again, and think about it logically.
    It's actually code with exhaust fans over a certain CFM rating.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast