Quantcast
Edmonton Oilers MEGA THREAD 2022-2023 Season - Page 12 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12

Thread: Edmonton Oilers MEGA THREAD 2022-2023 Season

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Thats fair. At some point in the regular season you are what your record says you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    You mean the 6th place overall team in the NHL got beat by the 5th place overall team in the NHL, in the second round of the playoffs?

I don't know much, but calling them "good" isn't a stretch for either of those teams.

Great? No, not yet. That's still a ways away. But I don't think the "good" part is that inaccurate.
    Regular season standings means fuck all.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

Oilers window is shrinking by the day, Cap hell next year and only getting older, and thats a lot of miles on 29 and 97 considering they don't know what a shift change is (mostly due to lack of depth which gets worse next year)

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Yes and no. All teams at all times need to be targeting a playoff position and that is governed precisely by a thorough record of 82 games played. Yes, placing high with over 100 points is a key indicator of success, but this isn't football in that losses happen and hockey is a game of mitigating losses rather than eliminating them.

It's still INEXCUSABLE that Boston lost in the first round. But it's a good example of how "you can't win it if you're not in it" with respect to simply making the playoffs for a team like Florida and that's why all teams at all times need to be targeting a playoff position. It's been a year of giant-killers with Boston and Tampa dropping in the first round and the gamblers' favorite Oilers dropping in 6 to Vegas. The Oilers chances have been radically inflated by piss-poor statistical analysis and feelings instead of actual analysis. With two tenders at <.900 save percentage, they needed to be scoring 5+ goals every every game to actually warrant their position and while they managed to do that frequently, that's not the same as always.

The winner of NY/NJ dropping early is also a giant killer. This is a very strange year in playoffs but it's unfair to say the reg standings are meaningless just because of this anomaly.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Yes and no. .
    This triggers me. Off to the pet peeves thread.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Reg season and playoffs are quite different animals, BUT there's 16 teams a year who don't even make the playoffs, so you need to avoid one of those. Probably "mitigating losses" is the right way to look at it for regular season. There are enough games a decent team doesn't need to lose that a decent team should get in. If you don't get in you are not a decent team.
    Then you need to be reasonably healthy, have reasonable goaltending, and be performing better than average, all at the right time for playoff success.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    As ES and TPiM said, regular season standings are definitely relevant for getting into the playoffs. But once you're in, I agree they're not relevant at all towards winning the Stanley Cup. All of that is true.

But your point was that Edmonton was not a good team, and that Vegas was a mediocre team. Your point was not about the Stanley Cup. I'd argue that an 82 game sample is a helluva lot more relevant for determining a "good" team than a few rounds of playoffs.

So yes, regular season standings mean fuck all in terms of winning the Cup. But they're a much better indicator of a team's overall ability than a few games in the playoffs.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    As ES and TPiM said, regular season standings are definitely relevant for getting into the playoffs. But once you're in, I agree they're not relevant at all towards winning the Stanley Cup. All of that is true.

But your point was that Edmonton was not a good team, and that Vegas was a mediocre team. Your point was not about the Stanley Cup. I'd argue that an 82 game sample is a helluva lot more relevant for determining a "good" team than a few rounds of playoffs.

So yes, regular season standings mean fuck all in terms of winning the Cup. But they're a much better indicator of a team's overall ability than a few games in the playoffs.
    If they literally mean "fuck all" then the distribution of cup winners over the last 100 years would be completely random.
    Do we even need to look that up?

Does the 16th place teams win the Cup as often as the President's Trophy winners?
    Come on... There will be a strong, positive correlation between the teams with more regular season points winning more cups than the others.

This is also discounting Home Ice Advantage...

Let's not skip past the oilers players exit interviews. You don't hear a negative word from any player. Everyone wants to stay and win. Everyone's expecting to win a cup. It's cup or bust.

When I listened to the flames exit interviews players refused to answer questions, refused to say they'd like to be there again next year and dodged anything they were asked.

I think only one player spoke positively about the city. HAH.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    Your confusing the oilers as tho they played for Calgary. Their exit interviews today were nothing like the flames.

Everyone discussed the desire to stay and win in Edmonton. It's amazing how drastically different players attitudes are when their not part of the flames organization where players want out.

Guess that's the difference when you enjoy playing for a good team.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    Let's not skip past the oilers players exit interviews. You don't hear a negative word from any player. Everyone wants to stay and win. Everyone's expecting to win a cup. It's cup or bust.

When I listened to the flames exit interviews players refused to answer questions, refused to say they'd like to be there again next year and dodged anything they were asked.

I think only one player spoke positively about the city. HAH.

You're more pissy than Drai. LOL

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yes the flames are shitty in and off the ice. That's not disputed. Doesn't make the Oilers a model franchise.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Holy shit you oilers fans are sensitive. I'm a Knights fan, so I'm just calling out the fact that the team isn't great this year. Hell even oddsmakers have Vegas at the worst odds of winning the cup. I can't believe you guys are defending regular season standings relevance to make the knights qualify as "a good team" so that oilers can be beat by a good team. WTF

Last year flames reg season standings were up there too. Doesn't means shit. But if it makes you feel any better, the oilers got beat in 6 by a team that made the playoffs thanks to their regular season performance.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    *The First*

I didn't realize this was the Oilers thread and I don't see how an argument about the meaningfulness of reg season points could pertain to Edmonton...

My Ride
    Trucks

If they literally mean "fuck all" then the distribution of cup winners over the last 100 years would be completely random.
    Do we even need to look that up?

Does the 16th place teams win the Cup as often as the President's Trophy winners?
    Come on... There will be a strong, positive correlation between the teams with more regular season points winning more cups than the others.

This is also discounting Home Ice Advantage...
    I did look it up a few months ago. 1st place has the highest correlation with winning the cup (shocker, I know), followed by 3rd place?

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't realize this was the Oilers thread and I don't see how an argument about the meaningfulness of reg season points could pertain to Edmonton...
    Ever. Since the franchise started I think they lead the league once. Barely sliding into the playoffs has been the norm. (discounting the dreadful drought years)

Why is this thread still going? Don’t fret, I’ll make another in 10 months.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12