Quantcast
Concrete pad in back yard - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Concrete pad in back yard

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thats good to know, I am just going by what several websites said in terms of cost. I really have no idea for comparisons sake. If its even 5k plus, its certainly not worth it.
    I used kijiji source sidewalk blocks for where my kids trampoline is. Spend $200 on 50 of them. When they stop using it in a few years you give them away on facebook and lay some sod. Easy peasy.

Note: Do not give your kids away on facebook, i mean the blocks. Or maybe your kids too. You do you.

My Ride
    Ram truck and some bikes

Just moved into a place with a concrete pad just off the stairs from the rear deck and behind the parking pad. To me it was a bonus as it makes a great place for a hot tub and patio down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    For a square pad with vehicle access. Do it yourself with the u-cart stuff. Concrete is not rocket appliances.

Where do you live? Maybe I'll help for 36 bud lights..... Actually no, I'm not that helpful.
    But I'll argue the finishing surface is as easy as mud and taping drywall.

My Ride
    This and that.

Just to give some perspective, I was quoted close to $5K for a 13'x13' paving stone pad built out in the backyard and was told that this would be a more economical way of doing that rather than pouring out concrete. So I don't see how a 20x20 pad poured in concrete would be anywhere under $10K.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Just to give some perspective, I was quoted close to $5K for a 13'x13' paving stone pad built out in the backyard and was told that this would be a more economical way of doing that rather than pouring out concrete. So I don't see how a 20x20 pad poured in concrete would be anywhere under $10K.
    I think they were trying to take you to the cleaners. That price sounds insane.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Shak not getting a rock bottom good deal? #leshockedface.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Yeah, definitely this. The pavers are ~$800 from Home Depot plus a bit of sand for a base. No way that job would need 4k in labour.

Whole bunch of engineers in this thread really flexing their PMP training. Also highlighting how they have zero fucking clue what they are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Compared to any other type of hardscaping, concrete in a backyard is virtually irreversible, so please consider it very carefully and from a long term perspective. This will very likely diminish your resale value and limit your market of buyers when (not if) you choose to sell.
    It also usually looks like shit as it's very difficult to blend into an overall backyard theme. Less is more.

Everything about this post is simple wrong!
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Lex350 View Post
    Everything about this post is simple wrong!
    Hey, if want to to put a giant, driveway-grey slab of guaranteed-to-crack concrete to "blend in" with your brown fence and green grass, you totally can. It's only 15,000 kg of material to remove if you change your mind (assuming you already have an industrial jack hammer and rebar cutters).
    And if you do anything radically different with a back yard, I think it's fair to say that it impacts resale value. It's a bit like adding a pool. Those who want a pool will gladly pay a premium. All 7 of those people will pay that premium.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Shak not getting a rock bottom good deal? #leshockedface.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Yeah, definitely this. The pavers are ~$800 from Home Depot plus a bit of sand for a base. No way that job would need 4k in labour.
    I am obviously no expert, but the way the guy explained, he had to first get rid of the grass/sod, make a bit of a pit, then dump a bunch of gravel/rocks to stabilize the bottom and then put paving stones on top and finally put cement/grout whatever it is that goes in the cracks/corners etc. to close it all up. His point was that it would be just as good as concrete being poured, but significantly cheaper. And perhaps it wasn't quite $5K, but was definitely at least $4K.

I told him to go ahead and do it but then shit changed with him and he couldn't do it so I still don't have that in my backyard. Will re-look this summer and try to get some quotes again I guess.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 04-26-2023 at 10:35 AM.

My Ride
    *The First*

Properly installing paving stones is a metric shit-pile of labour.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Might as well just toss a rig mat down and be done with this

My Ride
    Has wheels

2? Years ago, I found a guy off of FB or Kijiji (can't remember). I paid like $1k for a 8'x8' hot tub pad. I already had the grass removed.

Also not Calgary area but you should be able to find someone to do it for a reasonable cost.

Been looking into this stuff too, but for parking a 14,000 lb vehicle. Concrete seemed too much to justify... Any ideas what gravel might cost?
    dv/dt

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    I am obviously no expert, but the way the guy explained, he had to first get rid of the grass/sod, make a bit of a pit, then dump a bunch of gravel/rocks to stabilize the bottom and then put paving stones on top and finally put cement/grout whatever it is that goes in the cracks/corners etc. to close it all up. His point was that it would be just as good as concrete being poured, but significantly cheaper. And perhaps it wasn't quite $5K, but was definitely at least $4K.

I told him to go ahead and do it but then shit changed with him and he couldn't do it so I still don't have that in my backyard. Will re-look this summer and try to get some quotes again I guess.
    That price is definitely in the ball park. Just for a decent paver it's around $12/sq.ft., there's the shipping factor too. I just built one:Name:  stairs and walkways-2.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  644.4 KB

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by zieg View Post
    Been looking into this stuff too, but for parking a 14,000 lb vehicle. Concrete seemed too much to justify... Any ideas what gravel might cost?
    Gravel or recycled asphalt is cheap…the key is knowing someone with a dump trailer or a dump truck!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Both Concrete and Paving stones take a massive amount of prep and labour. If a homeowner is OK doing all that work, they can do either job themselves. None of it is complex, but it sure isn't easy. If you do fuck up any part of it, repairing or re-doing pavers is something a homeowner can also tackle themselves.

Landscaping labour is really expensive up here, count on like $40/hr or more. Need to let in more mexicans.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

The prep for concrete and pavers is pretty much the same. Install a well compacted base, at least 4" (3/4" minus aggregate works well). Ensure the base won't be undermined. There's obviously steel reinforcement for concrete, but that is fairly simple too. I think a paver project is more homeowner friendly. A good finish on concrete is an art in itself and not easy for the diy person.

My Ride
    Lease

feels like we have a labour shortage for these high prices, need more immigrants

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast