Quantcast
Long Term Truck Thoughts? Balancing Cost / Reliability / Features - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Long Term Truck Thoughts? Balancing Cost / Reliability / Features

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Default Long Term Truck Thoughts? Balancing Cost / Reliability / Features

Hey all,

My parents are looking at getting into a full size (1/2 ton) truck soon. I had some thoughts, but figured why not ask the experts here.

Their situation -
    1. Retiring soon, do not want repair bills etc
    2. Will tow a trailer for camping few times a year, likely in the 5000-7000 lb range I believe
    3. I don't think they need all the creature comforts... they told me they 'really want leather seats'
    4. They don't drive a ton, last truck is a 2010 dodge dakota with 130,000 kms on it.

Taking all this into account, I figured a late 2010's Tundra really fits their bill... but would be curious what others think around here. I'm not super deep in the truck world but always seem to hear about problems with Dodge's, Ford ecoboosts, etc. Maybe a GM with a tried and true 5.3 is a good option?

Thanks in advance

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Tundra is a great option as long as they are ok paying a premium to buy it and fuel it. By far the worst 1/2 ton on fuel.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Is most of the use pulling a trailer? If so, just get a 3/4 or 1 ton and be done with it. Just makes life so much easier and lower stress. And Thats coming from a guy who tows with a half ton.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Tundra is a great option as long as they are ok paying a premium to buy it and fuel it. By far the worst 1/2 ton on fuel.
    Yea I know its a bit of a pig on fuel. But based on how much they drove their other vehicle (and how long they had it out of warranty) that fuel cost would maybe be a bit of a wash?

They will also have a small SUV (CRV or the like) for farting around town

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Is most of the use pulling a trailer? If so, just get a 3/4 or 1 ton and be done with it. Just makes life so much easier and lower stress. And Thats coming from a guy who tows with a half ton.
    I wouldnt say most of the use, but it will be used for this. For reference they pull a 3500 lb rockwood with their dakota now... So I'm thinking an upgrade to a 1/2 ton for a slightly bigger trailer would still feel like a big upgrade to them

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    Hey all,

My parents are looking at getting into a full size (1/2 ton) truck soon. I had some thoughts, but figured why not ask the experts here.

Their situation -
    1. Retiring soon, do not want repair bills etc
    2. Will tow a trailer for camping few times a year, likely in the 5000-7000 lb range I believe
    3. I don't think they need all the creature comforts... they told me they 'really want leather seats'
    4. They don't drive a ton, last truck is a 2010 dodge dakota with 130,000 kms on it.

Taking all this into account, I figured a late 2010's Tundra really fits their bill... but would be curious what others think around here. I'm not super deep in the truck world but always seem to hear about problems with Dodge's, Ford ecoboosts, etc. Maybe a GM with a tried and true 5.3 is a good option?

Thanks in advance
    I basically just went through this and ended up with a Tundra. I do recommend going with a 2016+ as they had a larger gas tank from factory. But every single person I spoke to that owned a high mileage Tundra said they are just bullet proof. Oil changes and brake pads and they just run forever without major issues.

I get 15-16 L/100 in the city which is pretty on par with any 1/2 ton. On the weekends I do a bit of dedicated highway driving an can get it down to 12-13 L/100.

I cannot speak about towing yet.

Just a warning about 2021+ Chevy's, they come with very little options these days. No heated seats, manual drivers seat, 4cyl engines for some dumb reason. The V8 Chevy's get expensive real quick and just don't have options their competition have included.

I may be a bit biased but I think the GM 5.3L trucks are a good choice. They're comfortable, cheap on maintenance and generally quite reliable. My uncle has had an 07 Yukon and a 15 sierra both with the 5.3 and he has run em both to upwards of 350,000km just city driving. I think Sierra he rebuilt tranny in the 200s and that's really it, besides regular maintenance. I've got a 14 Sierra with a 6.2L as well and I love it, it's got about 160k on it and no issues.