Default Reality check for the future of energy

I love this video

Why do you hate polar bears?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Baseless right wing racist propaganda.
    -thacoma
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

I dunno, this is the sort of guy who might be thinking that 2 million pounds of fuel to go 250 miles up is/was a good idea to start with.

Some Chinese dude is working on delivering a pizza and coke with 1/20th horsepower @ 1/350th the energy needed to use a combustion engine and human driver.

The other Chinese dude is building the Tsangpo Dam, 100 coal power plant equivalent. 100% free clean falling water.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

Fairly sure 2-3 solar panels per house is sufficient.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dunno, this is the sort of guy who might be thinking that 2 million pounds of fuel to go 250 miles up is/was a good idea to start with.

Some Chinese dude is working on delivering a pizza and coke with 1/20th horsepower @ 1/350th the energy needed to use a combustion engine and human driver.

The other Chinese dude is building the Tsangpo Dam, 100 coal power plant equivalent. 100% free clean falling water.
    Huh?

Did you even watch the video? LOL

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Huh?
    Pretty much covers his posts for the last 10 years.

When you say its just not happening, is that a statement of fact as the way it should be, or a statement of shame?

Bias is extremely important. Oil people will only see the statement of fact. Renewable people will see the statement of shame. 50% will vote UCP, 50% will vote NDP. Is the dress black and blue or white and gold?

Not all scientists are hippies. Personally I see Buzz Aldrin more as shame (especially the failures placed upon three generations of US white male scientists), as you go toward octogenarian he is more of a hero.

This is one of those videos, where you make your parents and grandparents watch, and have them write up a conclusion about what the main message was.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 06-02-2023 at 08:07 AM.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you focus only on oil, the IEA suggests demand will not see significant decline until after 2050 and that's only if there's significant government intervention to force consumers into more expensive energy forms. And that decline is pretty gradual after that.

The transition is real, and probably inevitable. However timing matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I for one plan to be long retired by 2050.
    Drill baby drill.

5 cars per 100 or 80 cars per 100. OK.

Now, I'm assuming that Beyond would say we should try to bring the 5 cars up to some higher number like maybe 25 out of 100. But if that means that the 80 cars out of 100 people have to be brought down to 50 out of 100, what then?

Since the entire video is about scarcity or abundance, this becomes the main issue. Some would see everyone gets to 99 cars out of 100, others might think - lets just go drones for all small deliveries and bring it down to 3 out of 100 (bias), so that all our food and every good produced is cheaper because the fuel can be used for things like food production and mass transportation.

Is spending 2 million pounds of fuel to send a pizza to a construction astronaut on the moon, really a good use of combustible fuel? The more you consume, the more you save? Elon equates distance with progress, which is true-ish up to a point, but not for sending a pizza to keep a human alive for 6 hours so he can put a couple screw piles on the moon.

Distance as progress has traditionally been a British thing. Where you spend as much resources as possible to gain as much distance as possible, and then conquer the non-English speaking guy at the other end as compensation.

Distance as progress on the first moon landing was initially a Nazi thing. Where you hired the Nazi to lead the team to drop bombs as far as possible.

Did Buzz burn up all the fuel so that he has forced his grandkids to never use a car?
    Last edited by ZenOps; 06-02-2023 at 09:14 AM.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Removed Zenops drivel.
    No NASA involvement, but If we can convince Elon to fire Zenops into space he can finally see the curvature of the earth on his one way trip... Worth it.

China has already solved the "pizza delivery for 37watts" problem: bicycles. But bikes suck.

Tell me how clean solar & hydroelectric dams are when your concrete requires vast amounts of non-renewable material & energy to produce.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by e31 View Post
    No NASA involvement, but If we can convince Elon to fire Zenops into space he can finally see the curvature of the earth on his one way trip... Worth it.

China has already solved the "pizza delivery for 37watts" problem: bicycles. But bikes suck.

Tell me how clean solar & hydroelectric dams are when your concrete requires vast amounts of non-renewable material & energy to produce.
    China needs to build future dams from plastic as concrete is entirely too polluting. Stream results on TikTok, thank you.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Dams are not green. It's just cheaper form of energy.

But given Chinese cycle of drought and flood, dams are as much of a liability as asset.

Our future will again be nukes. There is no way we are dropping fossil fuel without more power from nuke.

That said, the Greeks are doing a $1.7B solar project here?
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...erta-1.6862891
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-02-2023 at 09:35 AM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

You'd have to do some very complex calculations evaluating the the energy input and materials required to build a dam and the resulting expected energy output over the life cycle of the dam vs. the same thing using NG.

And then evaluate total mass emission rates (kg/hr) over their estimated life cycle.

There are a lot of 'gut feelings' about this stuff but once someone's big brain crunches all the numbers, it's the only way to say one way or other.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Dams are not green. It's just cheaper form of energy.

But given Chinese cycle of drought and flood, dams are as much of a liability as asset.

Our future will again be nukes. There is no way we are dropping fossil fuel without more power from nuke.

That said, the Greeks are doing a $1.7B solar project here?
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...erta-1.6862891
    Dams are pretty green. Not sure where you are getting your information from.

And yea Nuclear is a clear cut, no brainer. https://apnews.com/article/georgia-n...51be9115e88a64

Ouch

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    Dams are pretty green. Not sure where you are getting your information from.
    https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...climate-change

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

SMR nukes are the answer. Will be interesting to see how inexpensive they get when building batches of 4, 8 12 of identical units in a controlled factory setting. Plop one down beside every SAGD steam plant, and one near every city, and you have a really nice baseload power source.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    SMR nukes are the answer. Will be interesting to see how inexpensive they get when building batches of 4, 8 12 of identical units in a controlled factory setting. Plop one down beside every SAGD steam plant, and one near every city, and you have a really nice baseload power source.
    Not looking good out of the gate.
    https://www.cato.org/blog/cost-escal...uclear-power-0

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Dive a bit deeper than some random article into the data and you'll see hydro is our current best bet in terms of being 'green' (Look at BC, MB, and QC)

https://www.cer-rec.gc.ca/en/data-an...es-canada.html

Not everyone has access to easy hydro, which is where Nuclear could play a big role. But after seeing how things went in GA I'm not sure people are going to be lining up to fund these things.

Not saying the LCA of Carbon Intensity of various energy sources is perfect, but it certainly is rigorous.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast