Quantcast
Repair a TV? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Repair a TV?

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Default Repair a TV?

Seeing the repair a monitor thread reminded me...

I have a VIZIO TV, about 7 years old, all of the sudden has a big ol pink line right through the bottom of the screen.

I did a little bit of reasearch (key word little) and it looks like there is really only a few components in the back. Most likely I need to replace the 'T-con' board?

Has anyone fixed their own TV or knows of a shop that does it? It's old, but was $2500 when new so I'm willing to throw a few hundred bucks at it to try and extend it's life a bit.

If its right at the very very bottom, electricians tape is your friend.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

I'd be interested to know of a shop as well.

My Vizio died this week too after 6.5 years. Looks like the problem with mine is the mainboard as it still gets power.

Apparently it just needs a reflow and some people toss it into the oven for 10min. I might try that if I can't find anyone that can do it.

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

i repaired a sony once, like you said it was the t-con board, its simple plug and play if you can find the part online for a reasonable price, however any chip level repair, i don't think it would be worth it

I've used these guys recently https://calgarysmartfix.ca/ for my parents TV, unfortunately the TV required a new LCD panel so wasn't fixable as they could source the part. The troubleshooting fee is $30, but is applied as a credit if you choose to fix the TV.

did I trust their work, yes as I spent a couple of hours troubleshooting the TV after the fact to prove it wasn't any T-con board or failed pin on the connectors to the T-con board.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by hrdkore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've used these guys recently https://calgarysmartfix.ca/ for my parents TV, unfortunately the TV required a new LCD panel so wasn't fixable as they could source the part. The troubleshooting fee is $30, but is applied as a credit if you choose to fix the TV.

did I trust their work, yes as I spent a couple of hours troubleshooting the TV after the fact to prove it wasn't any T-con board or failed pin on the connectors to the T-con board.
    Oh right on, $30 troubleshooting fee seems reasonable.

I fixed my Samsung by replacing the entire board. Open it up and read the model number on the board and see if you can buy it online.
    Still use it in the gym today.

My Ride
    95B

I have used these guys (https://www.bestech.ca) in the past for HT receiver repairs.
    Looks like they repair TV's as well. Doesn't hurt to give them a call

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have used these guys (https://www.bestech.ca) in the past for HT receiver repairs.
    Looks like they repair TV's as well. Doesn't hurt to give them a call
    I've used these guys before too.

One of the boards on my Samsung LED TV went years ago. I think I was getting audio but no visual and I thought I could fix it myself by opening it up and searching up some part numbers. Got a replacement part and it didn't work so I took the TV to Bestech. Same deal as that other link: they'll charge for a troubleshoot and if you decide to go for it, the money is credited towards the repair. I can't remember what the quote was but the final repair actually ended up being less than the quote so that was a nice surprise. They could have easily pocketed the extra cash.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

My Panasonic plasma from ten years ago blew a speaker. $50 later and arrived to my door in a couple days. Probably 40 screws to take the back panel of but otherwise plug n play. Not a lot going on back there.
    Ultracrepidarian