Views: 713
Size:  79.0 KB

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

"what is cyberattack and can I eat it?"
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got insider information... I don't work there, but have friends that do, in IT....

It all happened on Friday afternoon. The hackers were even able to setoff the building alarms. The building is owned by Brookfield, so who knows if they got hit as well or not. My buddy isn't too sure on how the building alarm system is setup or interconnected.

From what I know, they got everything, so the 2-4 week time frame is complete PR. My own company got owned a few years back, and it took us 2 month to get everything cleaned up. We were up for critical systems within a week, and after that it was just restoring redundancies, cleaning up ect. When you go through something like this, your primary objective is to get things up, so you throw shit together as fast as possible, and worry about the cleanup after the fact.

Now, their environment is like 20x bigger than ours, with lots of legacy systems, every storage vendor on the moon, every server hardware under the moon ect. The hackers got their main datacenter, Azure, AWS, and somehow the DR (not sure on details here). Their payroll system is internal and owned as well, so people might not get paid this week. They got owned by BlackCat, which is apparently an offshoot of DarkSide, who owned us back in the day. Their systems are very complex in terms of a mix of vendors. I think they had something like 30+ vCenter servers.....it's ridiculous. Their patch cycle is an ongoing thing, they never stop. It takes them a month to apply a patch across their entire environment.....we patch in one night...just to give you the idea of scale.

They have a backup system....but it has a central catalogue, which got owned as well. Their backup system will also only restore to identical hardware, so they are in desperate need of hardware to restore to..I don't understand this part too well as we have a modern backup system here....but perhaps they can't use existing hardware due to an ongoing investigation and forensic audit. This happened to us as well but we were quickly cleared to restore, as long as we preserved the old VMs and datastores.

Far as my friend knows, there has been no ransom demand, but perhaps he is kept a bit out of the loop on those details. CSE has warned of this happening: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/oil...yber-1.6882777

From what my friend said, they have to start from scratch basically...but perhaps he is exaggerating.

That's mostly all I know for now. Eventually I will get all the details, but as of this point, I wished him a happy new year, as he will be working on this for the next little while...
    What does he mean by THE building? Is this a building on Syncrude or Suncor sites? At Suncor refinery? Fort Mcmurray office building? Edmonton office building? Calgary office building?

They already confirmed on the weekend we would get paid, and we did on payday yesterday.

They already communicated it is likely 2weeks for criticals, minimum 2 weeks for non-criticals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    "I found the list of lay-offs! Click here to find out if you're on it!!"
    What I've been saying is, they're layoff list just made itself. Anyone too stupid to not click a malware link, when you literally get yearly mandatory training on this, is obviously not offering any value to the company. Hopefully they hand slips to anyone that clicked on this.

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    lol. Contractors not getting paid makes perfect sense, but forced vacay is outrageous. I assume this will only fly for employees that have skills that aren't in demand, or mediocre ambition.
    Contractors are only not being paid because that gets done through SAP. And SAP is fucked for now.

My Ride
    *The First*

SAP is fucked, "for now"?!!!?

That's cuter than a puppy falling in its own shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    SAP is fucked, "for now"?!!!?

That's cuter than a puppy falling in its own shit.
    Touche. I'll give you that one. haha

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    What does he mean by THE building? Is this a building on Syncrude or Suncor sites? At Suncor refinery? Fort Mcmurray office building? Edmonton office building? Calgary office building?

They already confirmed on the weekend we would get paid, and we did on payday yesterday.

They already communicated it is likely 2weeks for criticals, minimum 2 weeks for non-criticals.

I was told it was the Calgary petro-canada building. My buddy tends to exaggerate things, so don't really know. All my knowledge about the event it from TXT messages, one or two a day, haven't had in-person chat in a while. I know that it will be a while for systems to come back up, I think their timeline is wishful thinking.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    I'm glad that our organization is small, patching only requires 1 night outage but execs are scrambling now asking our team how secure our environment is.
    I can tell you that for us it was a blessing in disguise. We were able to restore almost everything from the cloud using Veeam, and what we couldn't restore was never backed up and thus was not important. Think we lost about 30% of our servers, so it was a good cleanup, as many teams have servers that they never use and never tell anyone...and they just sit dormant for years. We have made many improvements and redundancies since, so in a way it was a net-positive for us. Definitely opened the budget at that time.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

For smaller orgs, is it standard to have backups in something like amazon glacier or similar?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I can tell you that for us it was a blessing in disguise. We were able to restore almost everything from the cloud using Veeam, and what we couldn't restore was never backed up and thus was not important. Think we lost about 30% of our servers, so it was a good cleanup, as many teams have servers that they never use and never tell anyone...and they just sit dormant for years. We have made many improvements and redundancies since, so in a way it was a net-positive for us. Definitely opened the budget at that time.
    This is what I don't understand. With so many good options to create backups there should be almost no excuse for most to be able to restore and be up pretty quick.

We have a client who got hit with ransomware and they are now looking to do a complete rebuild because of data loss and no good backups.

Backups are critical for any business and there is no excuse to be not doing them.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    For smaller orgs, is it standard to have backups in something like amazon glacier or similar?
    Very little in traditional corps is offloaded to Amazon Glacier. Typically unless you're already leveraging AWS, you don't do that.

In a traditional corp you'd have something like tape backups with offsite storage at something like Iron Mountain.

Everyone saying "just restore from backup", more than likely, like most high profile ransomwares, it's actual an older hack that was dormant. The ransomware got into the backups, and if they restore those, it would be instantly nuked the second you brought it online, even air gapped, because it's going to be related to something like a timestamp.

What's the point of hacking someone and encrypting all their shit, if they can just restore it from backup?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Very little in traditional corps is offloaded to Amazon Glacier. Typically unless you're already leveraging AWS, you don't do that.

In a traditional corp you'd have something like tape backups with offsite storage at something like Iron Mountain.

Everyone saying "just restore from backup", more than likely, like most high profile ransomwares, it's actual an older hack that was dormant. The ransomware got into the backups, and if they restore those, it would be instantly nuked the second you brought it online, even air gapped, because it's going to be related to something like a timestamp.

What's the point of hacking someone and encrypting all their shit, if they can just restore it from backup?
    Veeam has an option to scan before restore, never used it but seen it there. In our case, we teamed up with a security company that was being used by some of our partner companies already and is highly regarded, and had their agent installed on machines off-net, before they were allowed to connect to the network. This product was much better than anything we ever had and could analyze that is going on and block things as they are detected. They did a forensic thing and and blocked known signatures ect. Seemed to have worked well in our case. We also knew the files that were being executed (via scheduled task) and blew those files away before bringing machines online. Been a few years now, so that process seemed to have worked well enough.

Many companies don't bother with backups seriously, so think that's the hope of these hackers. Even if you restore to last nights backup for example, you are still kind of hooped for things that happened during that day, especially with financial transactions ect, back to pen and paper and manual remediation.

Since then we have improved our backup posture big time, SAN snapshots, SAN Snapshots for local backup copies, hardened Linux repositories with immutability, instant offload to Azure cloud moment backup is made, Azure backup immutability, Azure backups with Veeam, Azure backups with Azure Backup for few critical things, Zerto replication..... Hoping between all those things we would be able to recover much quicker if it ever happens again. Lots of investment into general cybersecurity tools as well after that event. So far so good...*fingers crossed*

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This is what I don't understand. With so many good options to create backups there should be almost no excuse for most to be able to restore and be up pretty quick.

We have a client who got hit with ransomware and they are now looking to do a complete rebuild because of data loss and no good backups.

Backups are critical for any business and there is no excuse to be not doing them.
    Most of these hacks target backups, they wipe windows shadow copies which are used by versioning if you still run on-prem file servers, they look for all backup vendors and try to render backups useless ect. So even if you have backups, things can still take some time. In our case they took out Veeam servers (along with all other servers) and all our backups were also encrypted....but luckily we had everything set to offload to Azure, so we spun up a Veeam server in Azure, connected to our buckets, and started recovering everything. Veeam doesn't have a central catalogue, so you can import your backup files and start restoring right away basically.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Veeam has an option to scan before restore, never used it but seen it there. In our case, we teamed up with a security company that was being used by some of our partner companies already and is highly regarded, and had their agent installed on machines off-net, before they were allowed to connect to the network. This product was much better than anything we ever had and could analyze that is going on and block things as they are detected. They did a forensic thing and and blocked known signatures ect. Seemed to have worked well in our case. We also knew the files that were being executed (via scheduled task) and blew those files away before bringing machines online. Been a few years now, so that process seemed to have worked well enough.

Many companies don't bother with backups seriously, so think that's the hope of these hackers. Even if you restore to last nights backup for example, you are still kind of hooped for things that happened during that day, especially with financial transactions ect, back to pen and paper and manual remediation.

Since then we have improved our backup posture big time, SAN snapshots, SAN Snapshots for local backup copies, hardened Linux repositories with immutability, instant offload to Azure cloud moment backup is made, Azure backup immutability, Azure backups with Veeam, Azure backups with Azure Backup for few critical things, Zerto replication..... Hoping between all those things we would be able to recover much quicker if it ever happens again. Lots of investment into general cybersecurity tools as well after that event. So far so good...*fingers crossed*
    I've heard good things about Veeam. I believe some corps are using it post-ransomware as well, so I'm not surprised. But large corps like Suncor tend to move slow, and things aren't upgraded/processes aren't updated until something happens.

It's similar to safety processes. Every safety process is written in blood. Every IT process is written in lost costs and downtime. I've previously worked in IT at both large and small O&G Corps, that being said, I haven't worked Corp IT in O&G in about 4 years, since I made the move out of the industry. But it was impossible to get approval on anything other than renewals until something broke, or one of the C-suite was inconvenienced.

Backups are only good if you test the restore, and straight tape backups take forever to restore, if they're not compromised. DR isn't DR until it's proven.
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

This was us at around 100 employees. We also kept about 3 months worth of backups on rotation disconnected and on site when they come back from Iron Mountain. The key is backups should be completely offline. Always online and accessible backups are convenient, but is a massive failure point.

We backed up at multiple layers. VMs/Server image backups, as well as data backups. Our SQL servers back then dumped all their backups and diffs hourly, which gets offloaded to the backup servers, and tapes/drives pulled weekly. So at a minimum, we could fresh rebuild and just restore the data in a worst case scenario where everything was breached. More work but it's possible.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Always online and accessible backups are convenient, but is a massive failure point.
    I think immutability really helped with this. With it enabled, I can't, as a full admin, even do anything with them until their retention window expires. It's a good option for cloud providers, they basically got you by the balls for the duration of your immutability policy. We have this enabled now for all out backups, both short term dailies and all monthly/yearlies ect. Conventional thinking would lead you to believe that you can just blow away the storage account or the resource group and that will delete your immutable backups, but that's not the case, as you basically can't do anything with them, or anything they tie into for the entire duration.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post

Backup doesn't matter if they got your creds.

They are usually in your system for weeks before acting. By then, they should know most of your admin passwords or accounts of importance used to maintain your storage/backup systems. So cloud or not, it doesn't matter unless you set your backup to be immutable (IE, pay more).

Most major corp's storage/backup system has switched to Multi admin verification instead of just MFA. IE, nothing get deleted unless 2 human submit their creds. Nobody should be using root/admin/domain admin account to do anything. you elevate access when needed.

Smaller orgs tends to have lower manpower and probably still use standard root/domain admin to do everything. That's how you get pwned.

I think immutability really helped with this. With it enabled, I can't, as a full admin, even do anything with them until their retention window expires. It's a good option for cloud providers, they basically got you by the balls for the duration of your immutability policy. We have this enabled now for all out backups, both short term dailies and all monthly/yearlies ect. Conventional thinking would lead you to believe that you can just blow away the storage account or the resource group and that will delete your immutable backups, but that's not the case, as you basically can't do anything with them, or anything they tie into for the entire duration.
    End of the day, your org basically has to put an number in outage cost in order to spend properly on defense. It will happen sooner or later. We just send out a phishing test about what people want for Stampede Breakfast, 10% people gave out their creds after receiving the email. People are stupid.

Corps need to drop email as communication standard or send out links to anything.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-29-2023 at 11:39 AM.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Our internal security team does constant phishing tests. They sent out a legit email that looked so awful, and everyone ran to slack to report it, only to find out it was legit.
    My car sounds like shit.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".
    Because of this my experience during peak wannacry was as pleasant as could be. I'll paraphrase, but I was first notified that honeypot fileshares were being accessed by offending user (in AP dept). I lookup the office ext, office switchport #, see the port unusually at 100% util and disable it. Calmly grab a spare laptop and walk across the building, politely engage the user whose only awareness was their internet radio suddenly cutting out. Soft interrogation, remove offending PC, reconnect user with their terminal session & additional instruction. Spend the rest of the morning double checking access & restore logs.

I sympathize with Suncor's IT dept. By letting this get out of control it's like the worst version of a total power outage in a datacenter built on Indian burial grounds during a solar eclipse while you're away on scheduled vacation.

I remember doing exactly this in the past. The worst thing was that the tapes always had some stupid write error and rarely could you actually restore what you needed.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by S-FLY View Post
    I remember doing exactly this in the past. The worst thing was that the tapes always had some stupid write error and rarely could you actually restore what you needed.
    Yea, the error rates during recovery simulations was brutal. We went from tapes to HDD's pretty early on.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast