• 7-10

1 4.76%
  • 10+

4 19.05%

Thread: Financial Advisor returns

My Ride
    g2 teg

Default Financial Advisor returns

Was reading through another thread which got me to thinking.

For those who use a financial advisory. What kind of returns are you seeing. I went back and looking at my last 5 years and are averaging around 6% for a full managed portfolio. Feels low to me.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

10-13% every year but 2022 for the last 5 years.

The last couple years have had some dips, but 10+ on average.

Plus much more sound financial advice outside of my investments.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

At what dollar figure did everyone go financial planner over self directed?
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    V8s

Those posting %return should also be posting other contextual info. Like what did you tell your advisor your risk tolerance was?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those posting %return should also be posting other contextual info. Like what did you tell your advisor your risk tolerance was?
    Great post.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’m low-medium risk tolerance. Went with an advisor when my accounts hit ~150k saved.

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

In addition to risk tolerance, it depends heavily on what your advisor is investing in. If it was entirely Canadian equities, then 6% is OK (not great, not terrible), as the TSX averaged an annual return of about 4.6% over the 2018-2022 (inclusive) period. However, 6% vastly underperformed the S&P 500 (~9.3%) over the same period, so if your advisor had any US (or international) equities, then yeah, 6% is lousy.

Last I checked, there was consensus among academics that passive investing beats active management, so index funds are likely the better option rather than sacrificing 1 to 1.5% for some active portfolio manager who likely doesn't know what the hell they're doing. For a laugh, watch Market Call on BNN Bloomberg, specifically the "past picks" segment, where -30% (or worse) is not an uncommon sight for these fund managers and their "top picks" from 12-18 months ago. It's also reassuring to hear from these bozos how they got out of a long position sometime mere weeks after touting a stock as a "top pick" on television (I guess you had to be lucky enough to employ them to get the heads up on when to bail from the stock). For good financial advice read "Millionaire Teacher" by Andrew Hallam - he's a strong advocate for investing in low cost index funds.

As for myself, I manage my own investments and have (miraculously) outperformed the TSX with my Canadian investments for 5+ years now. My streak is likely to end this year with the underperformance of telecom and bank stocks (TELUS/Rogers/Bell/the Big Six banks have long been a big chunk of my portfolio).

I have mine structured as low/med for long term growth and a small position of high risk.

Same as others here, for the $ I have invested in the market, low-med risk, more on the low side, and avg roughly 10-13% over the last 5/6 with the exception of one year that was 7%. I'm one of the crazies that has a lot of my portfolio in gold - not gold stocks, gold coins/bars/etc, I've been buying it since it was sub 300 USD/oz, and have slowed substantially in the last couple years, but still have a double digit (just) percentage of my $ sitting in that shiny metal. It's done well enough over the 25 years I've been buying it.

My uncle has been my financial adviser for a couple decades now, and the team he's handing it off to when he retires shortly are as good and trustworthy as he has been (family as well). The market investments are in pretty solid funds/etc, and I don't lose sleep over the fees and costs involved in having them do it instead of doing it myself.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Whatever employer uses w/ lower fees. Set it and forget it based on your risk tolerance.

It doesn't need to be that complicated and honestly an advisor doesn't really do much. It's like getting someone to do your taxes. You could, or you could spend 30 minutes to an hour doing it and at the same time educating yourself. I'm simplifying things a bit, but really it's not that hard. My RoR is 14% and I literally clicked a couple buttons based on a low to medium risk fund.

The question that interests me more is how much rainy day fund people have laying around vs. Invested. I'm talking about literally just keeping it in HISA doing almost nothing in case you need it in a flash. You would be surprised how many people have quite a bit. Not saying it is wrong, it is just different people in different situations and ways of thinking.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 07-21-2023 at 02:02 AM.

My Ride
    '04 E46 330ci ZHP

This poll means absolutely nothing without context.

At the very, people should share what % of your investments are in fixed income relative to equity. Anyone saying they are "low risk" with 10% returns doesn't actually know what they are invested in, and if those are your expectations long term, you will 100% be disappointed.

To answer the original question, if your annualized rate of return over the last 5 years is 6%, and you're in a 50/50 balanced DIVERSIFIED portfolio, I would say it's performed perfectly fine, and in line with long term expectations. Returns in excess of this either have a higher equity allocation, or have had a higher concentration in US equity/tech over the last 5 years. Some may say luck, some may say skill....

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Getting similar returns to those on here. However, I'm getting annoyed paying the 1.25% yearly fee as it's adding up to a lot of money each year. Thinking of just sticking the money in some funds and monitoring on my own.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Everyone should read one book and simplify this for themselves

Name:  Simple-Path-to-Wealth-720x340-1.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  62.2 KB

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Whatever employer uses w/ lower fees. Set it and forget it based on your risk tolerance.

It doesn't need to be that complicated and honestly an advisor doesn't really do much. It's like getting someone to do your taxes. You could, or you could spend 30 minutes to an hour doing it and at the same time educating yourself. I'm simplifying things a bit, but really it's not that hard. My RoR is 14% and I literally clicked a couple buttons based on a low to medium risk fund.

The question that interests me more is how much rainy day fund people have laying around vs. Invested. I'm talking about literally just keeping it in HISA doing almost nothing in case you need it in a flash. You would be surprised how many people have quite a bit. Not saying it is wrong, it is just different people in different situations and ways of thinking.
    It’s all discipline
    Developing relationships with adviser and accessing things good too
    Stick to the plan
    My portfolio is 50% veqt and 50% xqq - beats the spy thank you tech lol
    But my one bet on tlry fked me up good lol if I had an adviser I probably wouldn’t have went so heavy lol bye bye the gains from last few years lol

Heloc for emergencies - ez pz
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2008 Z06

I like the idea of paying for someone to manage mine, but the bank-managed performance has been meh in my experience so far. I should look into switching plans, or maybe advisors.

Managed
    (RSP) 6% average over 7 years - A mix of US, Canadian & global equities. Very meh performance.

Self managed
    (TFSA) 17% average over 5 years. Most the gains were 2020-2021, dumb luck.
    (RSP + non registered) 10% average over 20 years. Mainly PPL and BMO bought 20 years ago (thanks Mom).