Quantcast
Newish Small SUV - What's the best option for long term ownership - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Newish Small SUV - What's the best option for long term ownership

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I don’t hate the bronco sport as much as many seem too.

A lot less vanilla looking than an escape in a sea of vanilla cars.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    There is nothing really wrong with an escape or bronco sport
    He said long term ownership. Fords shit the bed after 4 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

Rogue was redesigned, apparently much better.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by SJW View Post
    He said long term ownership. Fords shit the bed after 4 years.
    +1. Bob's experience is more akin to the rule than the exception w.r.t. Fords. Their trucks used to be different but some co-workers have had a hell of a time with their F150s, constantly in the shop (though thankfully under warranty).

Biggest issue I've with my 4Runner after 12 years and 208,000 km is the fuel mileage sucks. Otherwise it's been regular maintenance stuff.

My mom's CRV has had its own set of issues, mainly tied to electrical gremlins that the dealership can't diagnose.
    Last edited by msommers; 08-04-2023 at 12:15 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I'm just about to hit 30,000km (will roll over on the drive home) on my RDX and I can't even think of a real complaint I have with it, maybe another 20L of space in the fuel tank would be nice. The only real issue that I've had is a park sensor that probably took a small rock hit and is acting up. And I'm not a huge fan of 20" wheels and low profile tires, but thats not a car issue and is easy to fix
    Last edited by FraserB; 08-04-2023 at 12:54 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    I'm just about to hit 30,000km (will roll over on the drive home) on my RDX and I can't even think of a real complaint I have with it, maybe another 20L of space in the fuel tank would be nice. The only real issue that I've had is a park sensor that probably took a small rock hit and is acting up. And I'm not a huge fan of 20" wheels and low profile tires, but thats not a car issue and is easy to fix
    I do think the new RDX / MDX are real lookers as well. Probably my favorite new SUV in terms of aesthetics, unless you go full Lexus with their cool new boxy SUVs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Rogue was redesigned, apparently much better.
    That new front end is awful... but maybe they will like it? Probably worth a drive

My Ride
    Trucks

The Rogue is a 3-cylinder with a CVT. Is this really what Beyond people are advocating for? What forum am I on here.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    The Rogue is a 3-cylinder with a CVT. Is this really what Beyond people are advocating for? What forum am I on here.
    Rage 2 said it first...

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    I do think the new RDX / MDX are real lookers as well. Probably my favorite new SUV in terms of aesthetics, unless you go full Lexus with their cool new boxy SUVs

- - - Updated - - -

That new front end is awful... but maybe they will like it? Probably worth a drive
    I test drove the Lexus's. They look good. But I found the interior designed to be targeted towards women in the late 40s who own Michael Kors handbags. The drive was very dull and uninspiring... a bit on the harder side too. My bones hurt after the drive.

As for the Rogue do any of you feel confident the engine will last 15 years? I test drove one a while back. The Nissan was like the chicken and rice you get at Nandos. Nandos was good back in its heyday but its lost that magic. When you bite into the chicken, its like you can taste the chicken did not have a happy life. You get the feeling the workers who put the Nissan together were not happy. They knew it was not great but management kept telling them its a great idea.
    Then again, why would you get the Chicken and rice at Nandos when the Asian mom and pop restaurant you get the real deal (& better rice).

RDX is not a bad choice come to think of it.

How the hell is Ford mentioned in this thread? Like wtf. That's like having a Jeep Off Road thread and someone mentioning (prob me) there is nothing wrong with a Honda CRV.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    I test drove the Lexus's. They look good. But I found the interior designed to be targeted towards women in the late 40s who own Michael Kors handbags. The drive was very dull and uninspiring... a bit on the harder side too. My bones hurt after the drive.
    Perfect. Will get for wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Well it is for old folks, so there's that.

I have no comment on the Rogue other than my anecdotal evidence of the handful of people I know that have been very happy with them. 2 Elderly. 1 Female. Take that for what you will.

After cheap F150 lease was up we got a 2023 Rav4 for the wife. I will agree with the other comments that the 2.4l gas Ravioli is not great & somehow feels sluggish for a bigger NA 4cyl. The ride is surprisingly rough for a what it is compared to the rest as well. 2023 was an update year, so they fixed some of the infotainment/interior complaints (or so I'm told). My biggest complaint about the damn thing is the doors don't auto lock themselves LIKE EVERY OTHER NEW CAR IN THE WORLD - It's not even an option. You have to press the button on the fob likes it's 2005 again. WTF Toyota. It was for the wife again, not my first choice but we got a good price & there was one exactly as she was going to spec it available (keep in mind this was Feb).

We test drove the Bronco Sport. The bigger 2.0l turbo was great. the base 3cyl was anemic and does not belong in that SUV. No complaints other than it was a lot of money for what you got and had some weird options included or omitted vs the competition at $50k.

CRV was good. Only a 1.5l turbo, but it never felt sluggish like the base Bronco or ancient Rav engine. The creature comforts really didn't kick in until you get into the EX trim though & unfort the wife didn't like the interior or Honda styling.

The RDX is great BUT Acura isn't selling anything less than the Aspec package in Canada now - The Tech was the perfect blend of price vs creature comforts. Design is great. Aspec price starts getting into real luxury SUV territory & at that point I'd say take a NX350 over it.

Did not dabble with the Koreans, Mazda or VW/Audi. I can say, I really, really like the VAG interiors though.
    Last edited by Pauly Boy; 08-04-2023 at 02:46 PM.
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's a Chrysler, it won't last long enough to depreciate.

Anybody try out the RDX or MDX recently?

I test drove the Lexus's. They look good. But I found the interior designed to be targeted towards women in the late 40s who own Michael Kors handbags.

That's actually the perfect way to describe them, lol.
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's a Chrysler, it won't last long enough to depreciate.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

As for the Rogue do any of you feel confident the engine will last 15 years? I test drove one a while back. The Nissan was like the chicken and rice you get at Nandos. Nandos was good back in its heyday but its lost that magic. When you bite into the chicken, its like you can taste the chicken did not have a happy life. You get the feeling the workers who put the Nissan together were not happy. They knew it was not great but management kept telling them its a great idea.
    Then again, why would you get the Chicken and rice at Nandos when the Asian mom and pop restaurant you get the real deal (& better rice).

RDX is not a bad choice come to think of it.

How the hell is Ford mentioned in this thread? Like wtf. That's like having a Jeep Off Road thread and someone mentioning (prob me) there is nothing wrong with a Honda CRV.
    The latest CRV’s are kindof crap. I bet the ford is more reliable.

Unpopular opinion. Hondas haven’t been the premium / reliable product people make them out to be for a long time.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Unpopular opinion. Hondas haven’t been the premium / reliable product people make them out to be for a long time.

According to CR BMWs are more reliable than Hondas.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I'l bet you a bag of Tilda Basmati Rice.

Trigger warning. The video shows a women and her daughter cooking in the kitchen.

Just curious why you think that?

The K Series engine went all the way up to 2016 in the CRV's. That was a very reliable engine, decent power output for tootling around town and good fuel economy. Then you had the 1.5 Turbo thats gone in most of its lineup. It was purpose built for the CVT.
    I would not say the CRV is premium. Its premium in terms of fuel economy in the 50-80km range, and reliability. By reliability I mean the engine. Not anything else. You dont get the same nik nacks like you would in the Hyundai which has more. The CRV Rear doors open fully at almost 90 degrees, very handy with car seats and babies. Honda knows its target market. Thats I think is key... consumer values of its target market.

I would not say Ford is unreliable. Its affordable. But it costs more to maintain. Thats less money for premium rice that's my theory anyway. I don't think Ford owner eat as much rice as East Indian/ Asians.

Also If Ford is just as reliable if not more, then why is it not competitive in the Asian Markets? The cost to maintain it was one of the factors. Come to think.... Ford exited out of the Indian market in 2021. Thats a big market, India surpassed China in population this April. Thats a lot of potential consumers.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/86083123.cms

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think you should lay off whatever you are smoking lol.

I have never heard a good thing about the Honda 1.5T. Quite a lot of bad things actually. Especially in the CRV.

I don’t think what people do/want in India has any bearing on what Rianders mom wants.

fact.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Mrs. Penguin had a Rogue for a couple of years. It was OK, but really made you want a Murano. She's now on her second Murano. No problems with any of them.
    We tried driving a Rav 4, a few years ago. Holy crap we both hated it.

You couldn't run fast enough to give me a free Hyundai. Anecdotal, but every friend/co-worker/family member that's had one has had major problems. My sister and sister-in-law both had engines replaced.
    A co-worker had 2 turbos replaced. And the earlier ones had rust issues.

Funnily enough Kohler also left India.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I think you should lay off whatever you are smoking lol.

I have never heard a good thing about the Honda 1.5T. Quite a lot of bad things actually. Especially in the CRV.

I don’t think what people do/want in India has any bearing on what Rianders mom wants.
    1.5T oil dilution issue is mostly solved by burning more gas in cold weather. I think it's somewhere between uninspiring but reliable 4 bangers from Toyota and self immolating 4 bangers from the Koreans.

Honda since 2015 has been more American than Japanese and quality shows.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ts/4389232002/

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast