Quantcast
Newish Small SUV - What's the best option for long term ownership - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Newish Small SUV - What's the best option for long term ownership

CRV engine seems to be very good for reliability according to CR even going back a ways.

Tranny was definitely an issue for a while though.

My Ride
    V8s

The newer crvs are not remotely close to the typical Honda reliability of days past. The only two people I know that have had them, had problems. One with HVAC, the other the fucking engine blew. And they religiously maintained it.

New Hondas might not be junk, but they’re more like ford than they ever have been.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The newer crvs are not remotely close to the typical Honda reliability of days past. The only two people I know that have had them, had problems. One with HVAC, the other the fucking engine blew. And they religiously maintained it.

New Hondas might not be junk, but they’re more like ford than they ever have been.
    Yea I’ve known people with them and their experience was the same. Terrible cars that I couldn’t Recommend to anyone. They weren’t even cheap either which at least ford is.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Have to agree I wouldn’t recommend a newer 1.5T Honda to anyone who would want reliability and long term ownership.

Only problem is everything else seems to be worse.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

This Honda reliability decrease is illuminating
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Anybody try out the RDX or MDX recently?
    Close to 100k kms on our 2020 RDX A Spec and beside going into limp mode in -40c from a frozen air filter and a crappy infotainment systems (mostly apple CarPlay issues) it been only fluids and standard maintenance. We love ours. It’s small though, probably upgrade to MDX next recession.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Close to 100k kms on our 2020 RDX A Spec and beside going into limp mode in -40c from a frozen air filter and a crappy infotainment systems (mostly apple CarPlay issues) it been only fluids and standard maintenance. We love ours. It’s small though, probably upgrade to MDX next recession.
    Haha, you actually drive yours, I’m pretty sure we bought at close to the same time.

Did you get that letter about the infotainment warranty extension? Has a whole list of issues that are supposedly traced back to poor connections from factory in the 19-20 models
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    Rage 2 said it first...
    I literally said I hated it.

I agree with all the views about modern Honda. I used to be a fanboy too. They’re just not as good as they used to be. Same goes for performance side of things. Both the type-r and nsx were underwhelming for me. My expectations were way too high.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    4Runner TRD Pro

RDX is a pretty good "luxury" suv. Size is good and the performance is good too. I will have my slightly used one up for sale soon when my integra type s arrives.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by alex9119 View Post
    RDX is a pretty good "luxury" suv. Size is good and the performance is good too. I will have my slightly used one up for sale soon when my integra type s arrives.
    Go on... the way things are going im feeling i will push them to a lightly used RDX / NX300, or take a look at a new CX-5

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Isn't lightly used like 99.6% of the new price with 75,000 km's these days? The used market is more fucked than the new market.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Haha, you actually drive yours, I’m pretty sure we bought at close to the same time.

Did you get that letter about the infotainment warranty extension? Has a whole list of issues that are supposedly traced back to poor connections from factory in the 19-20 models
    I did get the letter yea. Pretty sure I already had the infotainment system wire/connection replaced a few years ago, need to check to make sure.

But the infotainment system (and specifically Car Play) is so laggy, but I think thats more on Apple? Or is that Acura fuckery? Maybe I need to get it checked out again.

I really like the Lexus NX 250/350. The 450H plug in would be perfect for small/mid size SUV IMO, but holy hell are they hard to find. The RX plug in is almost as much as our LC was slightly used, so fuck that noise, 100$k for a mid sized SUV is ridiculous to me, no matter how nice.

Lightly used low KM NX is what I'd be after in a similar position.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    1.5T oil dilution issue is mostly solved by burning more gas in cold weather. I think it's somewhere between uninspiring but reliable 4 bangers from Toyota and self immolating 4 bangers from the Koreans.

Honda since 2015 has been more American than Japanese and quality shows.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ts/4389232002/
    That was actually interesting to read. But it cited JD power:
    In J.D. Power's study of vehicle dependability in the United States, one of Honda's two main auto markets along with China, the Japanese brand fell to 18th place this year from 5th in 2015 and 4th in 2002, its highest ranking.
    The engine oil dilation issue was blown out of proportion.
    Quality I get. All cars have some sort of recalls. Newer cars will have more electrical problems. What kind of recalls were they? I know the air bag issue was common. But only one major recall was related to the engine.
    The oil dilution issue was the engine not warming up/radiator vents opening in colder climates. The 1.5T is better efficient thermally. Thats one of the reasons. Its a byproduct of a fantastically designed engine by people who know what good rice is. It was solved with a software update.

In the north American market the media will blow this up to make it out more than it is so consumers run back to driving a heap of shit Chevy or Chrysler.

OP if you test drive the NX300. Pay attention to the seat size and ride quality. Drive a Ford beforehand if you can. A friend bought a Ford as she just found it more comfortable.

My Ride
    4Runner TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    Go on... the way things are going im feeling i will push them to a lightly used RDX / NX300, or take a look at a new CX-5

Mines a 2023 White on Red Aspec with extensive Ppf, tint and ceramic coating on it along with a few accessories. Has 3k km on it right now but Im sure when my type s comes I'll probably have about 10k km. I think for a SUV the RDX is probably one of the best choice as the driving dynamic is good its not super fast but reasonable. Look for a 2022 or 23 if you are looking for a RDX most of the kinks are ironed out. What's the time frame like for your folks? Also silverhill with and issues and service is top notch haven't had any issues with that dealer however can't say the same with the other in town.
    Last edited by alex9119; 08-08-2023 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    That was actually interesting to read. But it cited JD power:

The engine oil dilation issue was blown out of proportion.
    Quality I get. All cars have some sort of recalls. Newer cars will have more electrical problems. What kind of recalls were they? I know the air bag issue was common. But only one major recall was related to the engine.
    The oil dilution issue was the engine not warming up/radiator vents opening in colder climates. The 1.5T is better efficient thermally. Thats one of the reasons. Its a byproduct of a fantastically designed engine by people who know what good rice is. It was solved with a software update.

In the north American market the media will blow this up to make it out more than it is so consumers run back to driving a heap of shit Chevy or Chrysler.

OP if you test drive the NX300. Pay attention to the seat size and ride quality. Drive a Ford beforehand if you can. A friend bought a Ford as she just found it more comfortable.
    https://mycarvoice.com/news/honda-oil-dilution-lawsuit/

All the way back to 2018.

Hell of a rationalization you're doing there.

My Ride
    an econo box

I was cross-shopping in this segment a little over a year ago for the wife's new car and test drove a bunch.

CX-5 was pretty good, peppy. The CX-50 turbo was a lot better though. It's not much bigger than the CX-5 but it's laid out nicer. The turbo model is pretty quick.

Rav4 was decent, Toyota reliability and build quality, but she didn't like the way they did the infotainment screen (looks like a tablet glued to the dash). And we couldn't get over the loud engine noise when accelerating.

Honda CRV was lame in all aspects. Super boring. Granted this was the previous gen.

Bronco Sport. Nice interior layout but she didn't like the forward visibility (all she could see was the hood).

Hyundai Tuscon. She hated the capacitive touch for everything. Plus I'm still wary of Korean cars.

We ended up buying a Subaru Forester. She loved the visibility and the overall layout etc. It's a beast in the snow too which is nice.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I don't understand how people could cross shop CUV's and settle for a RAV4. It's such an underwhelming vehicle from the low grade interior to the buzzsaw engine especially when you consider the price. Clearly these vehicles are selling on reputation only.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    I don't understand how people could cross shop CUV's and settle for a RAV4. It's such an underwhelming vehicle from the low grade interior to the buzzsaw engine especially when you consider the price. Clearly these vehicles are selling on reputation only.
    I don't think people cross shop as much as you think they do.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast