Quantcast
Newish Small SUV - What's the best option for long term ownership - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Newish Small SUV - What's the best option for long term ownership

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

They'll need to drive to tell. People, especially non-car people, often end up completely surprising you with what they like.

I wanted a Rav4 for the wife's next car, but she vetoed it immediately after the test drive. She's not a "car person" but hated the engine, felt it was underpowered. Numbers were comparable across the board for most models, but she hated driving it. We got a Rogue.

I know this is an anti-Nissan fan forum, but honestly the Rogue gave her everything she wanted, price was better, she felt the engine was peppier, she's much happier with it.

The Rogue was recently rear-ended and she has a Rav4 rental while her car is in the shop, and it just confirmed that she still hates the engine and doesn't like driving it.

Just my .02

Whoever is owning the car really needs to test drive, because you'll be amazed at the comments you hear from people who aren't "into" the car stuff. What makes them happy about cars can be amazing.

My Ride
    Trucks

I’m shopping for the same size of vehicle in the next month, short list is a CX-5 (lots) / CX-50 (rare) or an Outback Wilderness. Was considering an EV for the last while, finally noped out as we tend to keep the wife’s car for 10 years. Maybe yes if Tesla makes another big price chop.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They'll need to drive to tell. People, especially non-car people, often end up completely surprising you with what they like.

I wanted a Rav4 for the wife's next car, but she vetoed it immediately after the test drive. She's not a "car person" but hated the engine, felt it was underpowered. Numbers were comparable across the board for most models, but she hated driving it. We got a Rogue.

I know this is an anti-Nissan fan forum, but honestly the Rogue gave her everything she wanted, price was better, she felt the engine was peppier, she's much happier with it.

The Rogue was recently rear-ended and she has a Rav4 rental while her car is in the shop, and it just confirmed that she still hates the engine and doesn't like driving it.

Just my .02

Whoever is owning the car really needs to test drive, because you'll be amazed at the comments you hear from people who aren't "into" the car stuff. What makes them happy about cars can be amazing.
    Sounds just like my MILs story.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Yup. Went through a car buying process for the MIL a couple years ago. Finalized on the Nissan Rogue and the RAV4 from looking at #'s. I loved the RAV4, drove like a car. I hated the Rogue, CVT made it drive like a sponge. She chose the Rogue because it was so smooth. The sponge feel was preferred. I was blown away.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    NC1

My gf is also team rogue. She loves hers.
    I thought it was okay.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    I dunno I rented a latest-gen RAV4 last year and the ride on it sucked donkey balls.
    Did you drive it at more than 80% of the speed limit? You’re not supposed to do that

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

I have friends that were set on getting a rav4 until they rented an escape for a weekend. After that they couldn't go back. Same story. Engine was rough, interior felt dated, felt like the rav was a lot of money for what you got, even in higher trims.

My Ride
    *The First*

With the Escape, the key benefit is the touch screen. It's only 8 menus deep to turn the heat up, or release your own seatbelts.
    #Safety

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Rav4 is a touchscreen and wireless CarPlay too. Believe it was updated this year. The older one was also touchscreen but it looked old and dated. I have it in our sienna.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Wife picked up a Honda HRV last spring and really enjoys it.

AWD, a little less cargo space than a CRV but a bit cheaper as well.

Passenger compartment seems to be the same size.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    I have friends that were set on getting a rav4 until they rented an escape for a weekend. After that they couldn't go back. Same story. Engine was rough, interior felt dated, felt like the rav was a lot of money for what you got, even in higher trims.
    I had a 2019 Escape bought brand new. Loved it until just before 60,000km the short block had to be replaced. Then at 65,000km the head had to replaced. Then at 75,000km the turbo had to be replaced. I got rid of it and got an NA 2022 Rav4 and so far it has been solid...

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

I have a CX-50 GT, it's a nice vehicle. Drives like a go-kart which is awesome, but the gas mileage is terrible. Partially due to me having a lead foot, partially with how the gas pedal is programmed, it's way too easy to get into boost and go for smiles per gallon.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Unpopular opinion but Kia Souls are super roomy in the front seats... and the way the doors open in that boxy style are just so good for old people swinging their legs in

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Unpopular opinion but Kia Souls are super roomy in the front seats... and the way the doors open in that boxy style are just so good for old people swinging their legs in
    Korean 4 bangers and long term ownership doesn't belong in the same sentence.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Honda CRV.
    The Rav 4 is a second choice but the ride will be too hard for elderly. Body hurts. I know mine does. Do a long drive in the Rav 4 then get into a CRV. You will feel the difference.

The vehicles may cost more. But that's the difference where you save on long term maintenance and reliability.
    Other option would be the luxury arm (Lexus and Acura).

If you are going down the Mazda route, then find a reputable mechanic for their input. But if you are spending that much money, why not spend a little more and get the Rav4/CRV?

Its like buying rice. Indian/Asian people are gona buy the premium Basmati/Jasmin rice regardless if its on sale or not. We buy it because we know its good shit. The slightly cheaper brands of these are the people who drive Mazda's.
    But then there are people who are gonna buy the cheap crappy rice to save $7.79. These are the people the drive Ford's, Nissans and Hyundai's. But every time one eats that cheap rice for the months to come, its exciting at first. Then the suffering comes... One spends hours making a delicious curry. Only to be served with cheap rice... The horror...But one can take comfort that they saved $7.79 with every mouthful as the tears roll down.

If you are not sure, go to the parking lot of a TNT grocery store and look at the vehicles parked there.

On side note for funnies. Ask your parents what kind of rice they eat and see if that correlates what kind of car they end up buying. Science yo.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Honda CRV.
    The Rav 4 is a second choice but the ride will be too hard for elderly. Body hurts. I know mine does. Do a long drive in the Rav 4 then get into a CRV. You will feel the difference.

The vehicles may cost more. But that's the difference where you save on long term maintenance and reliability.
    Other option would be the luxury arm (Lexus and Acura).

If you are going down the Mazda route, then find a reputable mechanic for their input. But if you are spending that much money, why not spend a little more and get the Rav4/CRV?

Its like buying rice. Indian/Asian people are gona buy the premium Basmati/Jasmin rice regardless if its on sale or not. We buy it because we know its good shit. The slightly cheaper brands of these are the people who drive Mazda's.
    But then there are people who are gonna buy the cheap crappy rice to save $7.79. These are the people the drive Ford's, Nissans and Hyundai's. But every time one eats that cheap rice for the months to come, its exciting at first. Then the suffering comes... One spends hours making a delicious curry. Only to be served with cheap rice... The horror...But one can take comfort that they saved $7.79 with every mouthful as the tears roll down.

If you are not sure, go to the parking lot of a TNT grocery store and look at the vehicles parked there.

On side note for funnies. Ask your parents what kind of rice they eat and see if that correlates what kind of car they end up buying. Science yo.
    I last drove a CX-5 from years ago and hated it. However the latest gen with CX-5/50 w/ the 2.5 turbo and 6 speed auto, I think offers an almost Q3/Q5 level of creature comfort and driving performance, yet cheaper than utilitarian leveled CR-V/Rav 4.

However reliability... Nissan and Mazda are maybe a step above a Ford/GM.

I really liked the Ford Escapes since the 2nd Gen using the Ecoboost. However that US made 2.0 version for many years would have full on block issues (hoping the latests have solved that in the Maverick/Bronco)

If they actually have, the Bronco/Maverick isn't a bad choice neither

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Indian/Asian people are gona buy the premium Basmati/Jasmin rice regardless if its on sale or not.
    This changes everything I thought I knew.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Did you drive it at more than 80% of the speed limit? You’re not supposed to do that
    lol I thought it was just me.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    I had a 2015 and man I miss that thing. Dinan stage 3 FBO was something else in that little thing. I love my BMWs though, so I am bias.
    Haha I appreciate how fun a stage 3 X1 might be... but not exactly what the old folks are looking for here

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XylathaneGTR View Post
    I'd vote for an NX300. Have enjoyed ours - usual toyota/lex quality & comfortable. Hate the trackpad in the previous gen, but it's manageable.
    Good to know, I had an IS250 (last gen) and the infotainment was terrible. But it will still be better than the fiat500 its replacing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    *snip*
    100% they will need to drive and make the choice. I'm just trying to narrow it down to 3-4 winners instead of them going off the board.

For reference they drive a 2011 dodge dakota and a 2012 fiat 500 right now. Not exactly class leaders in their day, and they are god awful cars. I'm hoping to prevent them picking the worst car on the market again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Sounds just like my MILs story.
    Haha thats hilarious. My younger brother has a 5-6 year old rogue. It's not bad, but it's certainly not great either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Yea I'm steering them away from Korean cars for long term ownership. Not worth the risk despite the great packages / options they all come with.

- - - Updated - - -

*snip*
    We are white, and yes we use china lily for soy sauce.. so that mean's they'll probably end up with a Ford

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

There is nothing really wrong with an escape or bronco sport
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    There is nothing really wrong with an escape or bronco sport
    Bronco sports were pretty middle of the pack in all the car review / comparisons (for whatever they are worth)

An Escape is probably worth tossing in for a test drive with the rest of the lot forsure.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast