Quantcast
Finally! Garage tear down and build - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally! Garage tear down and build

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

How far ahead did you have start planning to have the concrete pumped with the hose not placed with a wheelbarrow? And how many times did someone try to talk you out of it? Looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    How far ahead did you have start planning to have the concrete pumped with the hose not placed with a wheelbarrow? And how many times did someone try to talk you out of it? Looks good.
    Yaaa...I'm honestly not picking up what you're putting down lol but yes, looks good so far, thanks lol

Edit: was tired and didn't sleep last night. I get what you're saying now lol, but ya I was talked off the ledge a couple times by ones self lol
    Last edited by 03ozwhip; 09-21-2023 at 01:41 PM.

My Ride
    changes every year

All done!

My Ride
    Has wheels

Congrats on finding someone to show up! Hope it didn't end up costing too much, if any, more than originally planned for.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by brucebanner View Post

Congrats on finding someone to show up! Hope it didn't end up costing too much, if any, more than originally planned for.
    Cash deal helped lol in total, dirt work and concrete cost me about 19k with the engineered drawing included. More than half of my original budget of 35k lol ya right.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Looking good. I'm excited for you!

I'm curious what your lot looks like. It must be an interesting shape to have a huge garage beside your house that looks like it already has a double front attached?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

That rebar detail is pro, especially for simple residential construction. Leave those guys a great review

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

They chair'd the rebar! Why would they do that when they could just "lift it up while we pour"

lol A+
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    *The First*

^Truth

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by S-FLY View Post
    I'm curious what your lot looks like. It must be an interesting shape to have a huge garage beside your house that looks like it already has a double front attached?
    It's a .23 acre lot. Small-ish back yard, big side yard. My property goes to the pine trees on the left. For reference, I still have a few feet left on the gravel with the new garage.
    Last edited by 03ozwhip; 09-21-2023 at 11:33 PM.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by sxtasy View Post
    That rebar detail is pro, especially for simple residential construction. Leave those guys a great review
    Lol ya they did a great job actually. The owner is asking me for a review actually. You don't happen to know them do you lol

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

I was going to mention how good the rebar work looks....mind sharing the details on the concrete guy? I thought I had one, but he flaked out on me, and I want to get my front and rear porch poured before winter...cash deal

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    I was going to mention how good the rebar work looks....mind sharing the details on the concrete guy? I thought I had one, but he flaked out on me, and I want to get my front and rear porch poured before winter...cash deal
    Story of my life man. I'll PM you with his contact.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    Story of my life man. I'll PM you with his contact.
    Thanks for that. I challenge you on story of your life haha, it's my story, and one of the most frustrating pieces in building my own home. As it sits, my septic guy is basically MIA, the concrete guy stopped responding to me (even though he did my entire slab before..), HVAC people are slammed and haven't been back for a month (nice guys, so give them a pass, at least they respond to me and answer my questions). The only good contractor in the whole process has been my spray foam guy, but it's because he is a cousin of a guy I know, so I get a bit of preferential treatment. I think I won't have too much trouble with drywallers either, as that company also does drywall...but everything else...good fking luck. Seriously, I don't know how these guys stay in business. I was once told by someone, that to be better than 99% of contractors out there....all you had to do is respond...and I believe this to be 100% true. Fk these people are bad.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I was once told by someone, that to be better than 99% of contractors out there....all you had to do is respond...and I believe this to be 100% true. Fk these people are bad.
    Just before we moved into our new house a few years ago we got the whole thing painted and the guys who eventually got the work were the only ones to reply beyond the initial email or phone call. Didn't matter what they charged, they were the only ones to call back.

The same for our mudder and tappers and guys we got to do some bobcat work, the guys who I hired were the only ones who had any sense of communication.

I was trying to get a roof built attached to my house that I could build a deck under so I had a contractor over to look at it in the winter time. He spent about an hour and a half with me going over the plan how he could do certain things etc and I straight up told him that price didn't matter, I just needed it done. Well after that he ghosted me. After about 2 months I was able to get him on the phone and he said "sorry man we are going to be too busy so I didn't even bother putting a quote together". I ended up doing it all myself and it turned out really good but it added a bunch of time to the project that I didn't really have.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

This is great. Looking forward to the final product.

Btw, for the interior wall finishing, I went with tin panels painted white. They're ~$1.50/sqft. No drywall, just laid over top of the vapor seal with insulation behind that. Just an alternative to drywall. Uncle Weiners sells it.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
    This is great. Looking forward to the final product.

Btw, for the interior wall finishing, I went with tin panels painted white. They're ~$1.50/sqft. No drywall, just laid over top of the vapor seal with insulation behind that. Just an alternative to drywall. Uncle Weiners sells it.
    That's awesome. Any negatives you've found so far by doing that?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that. I challenge you on story of your life haha, it's my story, and one of the most frustrating pieces in building my own home. As it sits, my septic guy is basically MIA, the concrete guy stopped responding to me (even though he did my entire slab before..), HVAC people are slammed and haven't been back for a month (nice guys, so give them a pass, at least they respond to me and answer my questions). The only good contractor in the whole process has been my spray foam guy, but it's because he is a cousin of a guy I know, so I get a bit of preferential treatment. I think I won't have too much trouble with drywallers either, as that company also does drywall...but everything else...good fking luck. Seriously, I don't know how these guys stay in business. I was once told by someone, that to be better than 99% of contractors out there....all you had to do is respond...and I believe this to be 100% true. Fk these people are bad.
    Happened to me with my kitchen as well. 2 ghosts before the 3rd guy showed up, concrete the same. Haven't had anyone come our to give me a quote on a gas line for the whole time I've been in this house....2 years. Calling a guy today.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    That's awesome. Any negatives you've found so far by doing that?
    - - - Updated - - -
    No. I guess it is a little tougher to find the studs behind the tin panels. But I'll often just unscrew a few screws, peel back a section and see the studs to confirm their location. You can use white self tapping screws btw.
    Check with your builder on fire code, etc. Looks like they're on sale for $1.20/sqft now.
    https://unclewiener.com/product/new-...es-3-ft-width/

Pics for reference. These are 12ft tall pieces.
    Name:  bMyOVYyh.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  105.9 KB
    Last edited by Ekliptix; 09-22-2023 at 12:24 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

re: Interior finishing, my dad did all the interior walls of his garages in 5/8" plywood. You can hang pretty much anything anywhere, don't need to worry too much about studs.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast