Quantcast
Another Vehicle Dilemma Thread - Family Hauler Edition - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Vehicle Dilemma Thread - Family Hauler Edition

My Ride
    Has wheels

Default Another Vehicle Dilemma Thread - Family Hauler Edition

Okay folks:

Wife drives 2014 ford edge with 16xkms and overall its been pretty reliable but we're looking to move her into a van now that we're done having kids (toddler and infant). We had a van on rental in the spring and really liked it as a family hauler.

The only thing the wife wants is awd, which limits options big time. For new(er) options, Toyota or Chrysler and the Sienna's are not available for around a year. The Pacifica is available and it's what we had for a week on rental. The plan would be to drive this thing into the ground but I'm having some hesitation about long term ownership, if you could imagine.

Used market, tough to justify a few year old Sienna for almost new price.

WWBD? Pass on the Chrysler product? Buy extended warranty and hope for the best? Call Ryan back and order a Sienna and wait a year or whatever it is? Pony up on the used market for a Sienna?

Obviously we don't NEED to make a vehicle change but.. Want to now that we've been bouncing it around for a little bit.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Order the sienna in either case. Like right away. It's the best awd van. Then think about it for a few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Trucks

What specifically does you wife like about a minivan? I think many of the SUVs out there have available 2nd row captains chairs, if that's one of the reasons.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Been working through this for a little while now as is. I don't like to wait for things once decided, I don't want to wait a year

We both like the idea of the van. Captain chairs, sliding doors. For the week we drove one, it was very functional we thought. I always said if we had more than 1 kid, a van made too much sense not to get one.

My Ride
    4x4

You answered your own question...

A 2 year old chrysler minivan has almost no resale value, a 2 year old swagger wagon is barely cheaper than new.

Its a toyota you don't run it into the ground, you run it until it rusts to a point you're unwilling to drive it - and then flip to someone with lower standards. The chrysler will be on it's 20th set of front wheelbearings and a few transmissions into your ownership by then

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Talk to Ryan at red deer, order sienna at various dealerships, and hope you get one in a year. If you don’t need one right away just order anyways and hope you get the lottery win quickly.

Why minivan over suv? Kids will fucking ruin the thing, and it’s cheap enough where I DGAF. I stressed daily with kids in my various family cars and suv is expensive enough where I’d care. Dog puked in the van? DGAF.

Bonus with sienna, it’s dirt cheap to run. Fucking thing has better mileage than my Miata.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2012 F150, R6

If Ford or GMC offered sliding doors in the mid-large SUV, they would have my attention.... hate the van body style, but can see the benefit of a sliding door.
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you."

My Ride
    V167

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Why minivan over suv? Kids will fucking ruin the thing, and it’s cheap enough where I DGAF. I stressed daily with kids in my various family cars and suv is expensive enough where I’d care. Dog puked in the van? DGAF.
    Damn this forum/members have changed so much lol. Never in a million years would I have expected this kind of a post from boss man IIRC you used to have a shoes off rule for kids? Also no food rule?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    Damn this forum/members have changed so much lol. Never in a million years would I have expected this kind of a post from boss man IIRC you used to have a shoes off rule for kids? Also no food rule?
    Still do. In my car. Minivan is the wife’s car.

I have been a little more open with no food rule in my car but only on long trips. Like driving to mohagany.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

But have you considered a G Wagen?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Van is best family vehicle unless you are incredibly insecure in your self-image.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Trackhawk…

End thread.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

In 2012 we bought an 8-month old loaded Grand Caravan with ~15K kms for a touch under $30K. The closest Sienna/Odyssey was over $40k.

We drove that GC into the ground for a decade and just got rid of it last summer. Did things break? Yes. Did I put $10K+ of repairs into it? No way. We got $5K on a trade in, probably could've done better if we'd sold privately but wife didn't want the hassle.

Honestly, Rage is right - our minivan was nearly a disposable item. Camping supplies, kid puke, crumbs, lumber, junk to the junkyard - it did everything. I didn't want something I'd be afraid to breathe on. I found that a lower cost of entry really helped me use it like it was meant to be used, and it did a good job.

We have a 2012 sienna Se And I can say that even without the awd, the weight makes it an absolute tank in the winter . It’s required so little in the way of maintenance over the years we have owned it. I usually just throw in a new set of blizzaks every 3 years and it is unstoppable in the snow. Might not actually need to wait for an awd .

My Ride
    K-car

My cousin bought a Pacifica AWD in top trim. I have to admit it’s a extremely nice van. They’ve had it over a year now and haven’t had a single issue with it and they don’t regret the purchase. Out the door price was way less than the Sienna he cross shopped.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Van is best family vehicle unless you are incredibly insecure in your self-image.
    You could get a lift kit for it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It seems to me that most of the items in favour of a minivan would be better served by a pickup truck.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by loweg View Post
    We have a 2012 sienna Se And I can say that even without the awd, the weight makes it an absolute tank in the winter . It’s required so little in the way of maintenance over the years we have owned it. I usually just throw in a new set of blizzaks every 3 years and it is unstoppable in the snow. Might not actually need to wait for an awd .
    Oh the memories I use to drive around in a ford windstar and that thing was just a tank
    Miss the simplicity of those days
    This thread makes me want to get a minivan lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Yukon AT4

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    You answered your own question...

A 2 year old chrysler minivan has almost no resale value, a 2 year old swagger wagon is barely cheaper than new.

Its a toyota you don't run it into the ground, you run it until it rusts to a point you're unwilling to drive it - and then flip to someone with lower standards. The chrysler will be on it's 20th set of front wheelbearings and a few transmissions into your ownership by then
    This is probably 65% accurate and still worthwhile advice.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast