Quantcast
School me on different Awd systems. SH-AWD VS AWC vs Symmetrical etc - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: School me on different Awd systems. SH-AWD VS AWC vs Symmetrical etc

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default School me on different Awd systems. SH-AWD VS AWC vs Symmetrical etc

Never owned an all-wheel drive vehicle. Only FWD or truck-style 4x4.

I have see posts praising the Acura SH-AWD system, and having a hard time understanding how it differs. Subaru always writes wordy bafflegab about thier symmetrical system. Mitsubishi, oddly, boasts a lot about thier AWC system. I dunno. What's the diff between the "worst" Awd system and these better ones?

Y'all know me, I don't race, so mostly thinking about "regular" driving. And like usual, for me, I'm thinking about "regular" cars, so these days I guess that means stuff under about $90k CAD? Man, inflation is a bitch.

Anyway, would love to hear anyones thoughts, opinions, or even facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I wouldn’t get bogged down in what is basically marketing terminology.

I won’t pretend to know how every system works but i would say lowest on the totem pole are “part time awd” which are FWD systems that use a clutch pack to engage the rear wheels only when slip occurs. Basically the plus with these is fuel economy since they are almost always fwd.

As you move into the better camp you get into cars that always send torque to front and back wheels. Different companies advertise different base torque “splits” ( 60:40 rear to front etc ) and have varying ability to adjust that ratio as grip demands.

As you move more into top systems you get varying amounts of side to side “torque vectoring”, basically how much can the car bias torque to away from the wheel that is slipping due to open differentials. This varies from “brake torque vectoring” which just uses the brakes to stop a wheel from spinning out of control ( common ) to using some form of self locking differential ( a lot less common ) to do this. Very uncommon to see this kind of control on all three differentials and those represent the most elite awd systems in my opinion.

Contrast this to 4WD systems which, to oversimplify, require the driver to engage and lock some combination of three differentials on demand rather than the car handling it for you.

There are loads of technologies to accomplish the above goals: Torsten diffs, fixed ratio clutch pack diffs, complex electronically variable locking diffs which all have pluses and minuses.

Not sure if that’s helpful or not. To my understanding Subaru symmetrical awd refers to an always on awd system basically. Acura SH awd I believe refers to their torque vectoring system. Misty’s awc is just their branding for awd and super awc I believe adds in some torque vectoring.

Though tbh these marketing terms are used loosely and have referred to lots of different systems and technologies with time.
    Last edited by killramos; 11-04-2023 at 09:27 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

I've driven shitloads of cars of all kinds and the Subaru AWD system is still my favourite. Especially in winter. Like Killy said, it's always on and has full 50/50 torque split. For me anyways, with other AWD systems it's very noticable the half second or second they take to "kick in". The torque vectoring on Acura SH-AWD is more noticable/useful on dry pavement when you're trying to scoot around a corner quickly.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Have been strongly considering subaru for the next family car already. Hmmmm
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nissan x2

The non-performance trim Subaru's are great if you don't care about acceleration, highway merging or safe passing on a two lane road.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I like the Subaru system as long as it’s not a DCCD car (STi). The 50/50 split ones are great.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    The non-performance trim Subaru's are great if you don't care about acceleration, highway merging or safe passing on a two lane road.
    just make sure you buy birks, wool socks, eat granola and get dreds and oh... become a lesbian.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    just make sure you buy birks, wool socks, eat granola and get dreds and oh... become a lesbian.
    Shouldn’t be a problem for ES.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I fit the demographic requirements

My Ride
    V8s

Subarus awd system is one of the best for sure imo as well. The problem with it is you have to buy a Subaru to get it, which in the past has meant sacrificing things like build quality, creature comforts, and an engine that can keep oil and coolant apart from one another past 120k Km.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Shouldn’t be a problem for ES.
    Name:  putin-nuclear.gif
Views: 500
Size:  2.58 MB
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Subarus awd system is one of the best for sure imo as well. The problem with it is you have to buy a Subaru to get it, which in the past has meant sacrificing things like build quality, creature comforts, and an engine that can keep oil and coolant apart from one another past 120k Km.
    Yup, there is nothing like oval cylinder bores.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

There's a really good youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJf...UBDyqTuNzGbH4A that shows you various cars and how they perform on AWD tests.

He basically has 4 rollers that he places under various wheels (maybe the front 2 wheels, then the back 2, then the 2 right side, then diagonal, etc) and you can watch how the vehicle performs in getting itself off.

He does it for a ton of vehicles, and even compares some older gens and newer gens of the same vehicles, and it's really interesting to watch real-world how a car reacts with various wheels spinning. Pick a couple cars you're interested in and check them out.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Will echo the sentiments, Subaru awd is great, the rest of the car…..eeeeehhh
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    an econo box

My wife's Subaru Forester is hands down the best vehicle I've ever driven in winter conditions. It's not a high performance machine by any means though and pretty gutless on the highway. If I was buying a Subaru family wagon for myself I'd go turbo Outback.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
    My wife's Subaru Forester is hands down the best vehicle I've ever driven in winter conditions. It's not a high performance machine by any means though and pretty gutless on the highway. If I was buying a Subaru family wagon for myself I'd go turbo Outback.
    That was my choice this summer, Outback Wilderness or CX-50. I couldn’t get over the looks of the brand new Subarus or having a cvt, so Mazda it was. But ya, the Mazda AWD is made for safety and not enjoyment and entertainment like our previous Subarus were.

My Ride
    an econo box

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    That was my choice this summer, Outback Wilderness or CX-50. I couldn’t get over the looks of the brand new Subarus or having a cvt, so Mazda it was. But ya, the Mazda AWD is made for safety and not enjoyment and entertainment like our previous Subarus were.
    We test drove both of those as well, though the Outback was a Premier XT and not a Wilderness. She liked the Forester because of the huge windows, visibility and size. She doesn't care about performance. Plus it was $10k cheaper than both the Outback and CX-50 turbo. I was tempted to get a CX-50 Turbo or Outback for myself. I liked the cargo volume of the Outback better, and ride quality, but that CX-50 was more fun to drive for sure, and looks way better. I would HAVE to get the turbo if I was choosing either of those. Especially the Outback.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

ES you just got a new job and you are buying a new car? Inflation fueler!!!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hahah, my post history shows I make threads like this routinely. Might just be flapping my gums.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast