Quantcast
APEGA - Gov't exempts Software Engineering title from APEGA oversight - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: APEGA - Gov't exempts Software Engineering title from APEGA oversight

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I like how Gerard McDonald is a title whore.

“Gerard McDonald, MBA, P.Eng., ICD.D, Chief Executive Officer of Engineers Canada.”

Surprised he didn’t throw in his pronouns too.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

MBA and ICD.D. Both crack me up. It's a useful designation, and worth putting on a resume, but to have it behind your name seems silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I like how Gerard McDonald is a title whore.

“Gerard McDonald, MBA, P.Eng., ICD.D, Chief Executive Officer of Engineers Canada.”

Surprised he didn’t throw in his pronouns too.
    Ya that’s what I was thinking. He’s definitely the type of guy to care about who uses certain words. What a twat.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I had APEGA call me about my LinkedIn title years ago because I wasn't a full P. enis yet.

The guy introduced himself as 'whoever' P. Eng, PhD.

I don't remember laughing at him on the phone but God I hope I did.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    I had APEGA call me about my LinkedIn title years ago because I wasn't a full P. enis yet.

It’s one thing to have designations on your email signature, but cold calling someone and saying them out loud after your name?!?! Lololol

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

On one hand, they seem to be horny over the use of engineer in title, because it's supposedly "confusing". On the other hand, they seem to be horny over including every single designation in their title.

Why would it matter if someone uses the word engineer in the title when they can simply ask their members to be like them and add the P Eng designation to their title because that's preferred and clears things up? Engineer doesn't mean shit, P Eng does.

I feel like the only people that seems to be confused about someone using engineer in their title is APEGA.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Post nominal letter maybe mattered 20 or 30 years ago. These days everyone and their dog makes up some new ones anyway so
    The point has been lost.

It mattered when it was a short list that was accepted. It no longer matters at all.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

On one hand, they seem to be horny over the use of engineer in title, because it's supposedly "confusing". On the other hand, they seem to be horny over including every single designation in their title.

Why would it matter if someone uses the word engineer in the title when they can simply ask their members to be like them and add the P Eng designation to their title because that's preferred and clears things up? Engineer doesn't mean shit, P Eng does.

I feel like the only people that seems to be confused about someone using engineer in their title is APEGA.
    I think the bigger issue is that the reason professional associations exist is that both the govt and the people realize that neither are qualified to properly regulate these groups of nerds whether they are Accountants, Lawyers, Physicians, Engineers, etc.
    So, the govt (representing the people) agreed to draft legislation that says "these nerds can look after themselves unless they start really fucking things up".

And now the govt (still as unqualified as ever) is interfering with that legislation over something stupid. Not because some hydrocrackers exploded or bridges collapsed. No. They're responding to the pressure of a special interest group.

And as we all lie down and let them do this, we set dangerous a precedent that says "we are fine with the govt interfering with professional associations even though the main reason the legislation exists is to keep the govt the fuck away because they are unqualified and subject to the whims of politics rather than the profession."

Everyone is free to agree or disagree with the last part of that statement, but the part that matters is at the front.
    "We are fine with the govt interfering with _______" is a bad thing to say only 99% of the time.

I wish software engineer meant something. Most software is miserably designed and written.

The main problem is that actually requiring IT people to give a shit means that wages would rise, esp. in Canada, and no one wants that.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Not when there's an Indian that will work for 1/5 the price!

Either the customer actually had no idea what they want and software developers make an insane amount of versions, but "none of them feel right" or the actual software is so bug ridden it's hot garbage and barely functions.
    Last edited by msommers; 11-12-2023 at 11:50 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post

Lucky you, I have been a Senior Engineer for nearly 4 years now, and not a peep from them. I am definately not an Engineer, but that's the title my company gave me during my last promotion, so that's what shows in my signature. I deal with Engineers all the time from various IT businesses, and I highly doubt any of them are actual Engineers, much like myself. It's just a common title given to even basic people in support roles. Perhaps because we deal with US companies most often this isn't strange at all for us, we got used to it. When I saw this article I actually laughed. When I got this title 4 years ago I told my actual P.Engg buddy that I got an Engineer title, he was NOT amused, and sounded like the APEGA dude in his reasoning. Some people get so butt hurt over stupid titles. My favorite is President and CEO....of your own little 1 person incorporated business...I was that for a while....I never ever used that title, it's so lame. Sometimes I think people incorporate just so they can flex on LinkedIn.

Can you make old people live less longer? Thanks.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Can you make old people live less longer? Thanks.
    Subscribed
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Mandatory soilent green at 80yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

End of the day, if stuff needs to be stamped you need to have your regulator's seal, member # and full name as part of it. Your job title, hilariously, doesn't fucking mean anything on the doc.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Lucky you, I have been a Senior Engineer for nearly 4 years now, and not a peep from them. I am definately not an Engineer, but that's the title my company gave me during my last promotion, so that's what shows in my signature. I deal with Engineers all the time from various IT businesses, and I highly doubt any of them are actual Engineers, much like myself. It's just a common title given to even basic people in support roles. Perhaps because we deal with US companies most often this isn't strange at all for us, we got used to it. When I saw this article I actually laughed. When I got this title 4 years ago I told my actual P.Engg buddy that I got an Engineer title, he was NOT amused, and sounded like the APEGA dude in his reasoning. Some people get so butt hurt over stupid titles. My favorite is President and CEO....of your own little 1 person incorporated business...I was that for a while....I never ever used that title, it's so lame. Sometimes I think people incorporate just so they can flex on LinkedIn.
    so it's basically
    okay you an engineer
    but are you a P.Engg tho ... is the q lol
    personally, i like founder or entrepreneur lol
    Last edited by max_boost; 11-13-2023 at 06:08 PM.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

We should have a MEGA POLL

A) I'm an Engineer and care about the title being protected
    B) I'm an Engineer and I don't give a fuck about the title being protected
    C) I'm not an Engineer and I think the term should only be used for P.Eng's
    D) I'm not an Engineer and I don't give a fuck about titles.

I personally think any professional title should be protected be it Engineer or any of the other self regulated industries. I'd vote A.

I think the Engineers Canada comment was interesting because they are right in the sense that the legislation opens the door for exemptions in other industries like Doctor, Lawyer, Accountant etc. I vote conservative but to me this is just another example of Danielle Smith being fucking looney. I can't stand her.
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    We should have a MEGA POLL

A) I'm an Engineer and care about the title being protected
    B) I'm an Engineer and I don't give a fuck about the title being protected
    C) I'm not an Engineer and I think the term should only be used for P.Eng's
    D) I'm not an Engineer and I don't give a fuck about titles.

I personally think any professional title should be protected be it Engineer or any of the other self regulated industries. I'd vote A.

I think the Engineers Canada comment was interesting because they are right in the sense that the legislation opens the door for exemptions in other industries like Doctor, Lawyer, Accountant etc. I vote conservative but to me this is just another example of Danielle Smith being fucking looney. I can't stand her.
    I think DS is a bit looney, but that said, in almost all parts of the world, Professional engineer is the protected title. Engineer can be used almost everywhere. Job title? No problems. You just can't call yourself an engineering firm without having P Eng's, I think that's the only context where it's protected. So Canada's continual attempt at protection of the engineer title disconnects us with the rest of the world, which is why if we want tech industry to be competitive and grow, we have to stop gatekeeping dumb ass shit and follow everywhere else.

As for other titles, doctor isn't fully protected either. @killramos will like this but chiropractors and accupuncutists are allowed to use the Dr. title.

My Ride
    NC1

Dr. Jill Biden
    Dr. Phil

None as legit as dr. Dre
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    *The First*

As for other titles, doctor isn't fully protected either. @killramos will like this but chiropractors and accupuncutists are allowed to use the Dr. title.
    Which everyone can see waters down the title, and that only benefits those who don't legitimately have the title.
    Physicians will never get full control of that title because apparently they actually hijacked it from academia (professors, Ph.D). It gets picked away at until it's degraded.

I'm still correct that fundamentally, the gov't is supposed to stay out of these affairs unless there are horrible issues and this was never a catastrophe worthy of gov't interference.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast