Quantcast
Garage Break In - Evergreen - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Garage Break In - Evergreen

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My opinion in security is to make your house not the most appealing target in the block. Do the easy things right, and you are better than most.
    Plus have good insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    My opinion in security is to make your house not the most appealing target in the block. Do the easy things right, and you are better than most.
    This.
    Don't be the low hanging fruit.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I live across the street from an RCMP officer and 3 weeks ago they were doing some yard work going back and forth from their front attached garage to their back yard. We had a big ol diesel prowling the area and as soon as they walked out of the garage to go to the back yard these dirt bags jumped out and stole her bike right out of the garage. This was at 4pm in the afternoon on a sunday with people at the park 4 houses down and out walking their dog. Caught it all on my cameras but as far as I know nothing has been found yet. The picture of the truck was distributed on local diesel forums and facebook groups but nada.

I think the moral of the story is that people are scum bags and will always jump at opportunities to fuck over someone else when it presents itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    I'm generally cute.

Yep. Another cheap but good deterrent is have some of the "barking dog" motion activated noise makers. I don't have them anymore at our current places, but I had some in the past, had a bunch of different alarm options, including yelling, barking dogs, and (lol) gunshots, or all combined. They were really loud. Made in Texas IIRC (obviously), I'll see if I can find a link to them in my older emails for a laugh.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

I think lighting helps. I leave my alley lights on the garage on 24/7 and also the light by the man door, as well as the light for my house man door. My yard and rear apron are always brighter than my next door neighbours...

My one neighbour also set up a nice trip wire along her yard that borders the alley. we've only got 1 funny video so far of a door checker wiping out lol.
    Last edited by littledan; 11-15-2023 at 10:38 AM.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by birdman86 View Post
    My buddy's garage in Bankview got broken into a few years ago. Everything was locked. The theory is they pried the garage door open just enough to get a stick between the door panels where the rails curve to horizontal (so just a few inches or so), then hooked the door release cord and opened it that way, stole his very pricey mountain bike. So don't leave the door release cord anywhere convenient.
    Some newer garage door openers have an option to add a auto-engaging deadbolts for your garage to prevent this. With the rise in garage theft it doesn't seem like a bad idea for a couple hundred bucks extra.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Some newer garage door openers have an option to add a auto-engaging deadbolts for your garage to prevent this. With the rise in garage theft it doesn't seem like a bad idea for a couple hundred bucks extra.
    I had no idea this existed. Thanks!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    I had no idea this existed. Thanks!
    Probably other brands but here's one:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Liftmaster-841.../dp/B074L9JQQR

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by birdman86 View Post
    So don't leave the door release cord anywhere convenient.
    I removed the handle, good luck hooking onto a small piece of rope with a coat hanger.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    I removed the handle, good luck hooking onto a small piece of rope with a coat hanger.
    True.
    Unless a back-alley abortion Doctor, MD gave it a try. They're super proficient with coat hangers.

My Ride
    Trucks

On commercial garage doors they usually pry the overhead door up enough to slip in a floor jack. That will usually do the trick regardless if the overhead door has a deadbolt or any other lock setup. Seen it a few times and the lower door panels, track, rollers and everything completely fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    I live across the street from an RCMP officer and 3 weeks ago they were doing some yard work going back and forth from their front attached garage to their back yard. We had a big ol diesel prowling the area and as soon as they walked out of the garage to go to the back yard these dirt bags jumped out and stole her bike right out of the garage. This was at 4pm in the afternoon on a sunday with people at the park 4 houses down and out walking their dog. Caught it all on my cameras but as far as I know nothing has been found yet. The picture of the truck was distributed on local diesel forums and facebook groups but nada.

I think the moral of the story is that people are scum bags and will always jump at opportunities to fuck over someone else when it presents itself.
    Have watched similar. Guy and his son out shopping for whatever they can get. Up and down the streets and alleys crawling.

I was doing yard work and basically stopped and stared them down. Got a good pic of them and the plates. Called it in with disclaimer it just seemed suspicious and they didn't look lost. Looked like a typical Saturday for them.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Have watched similar. Guy and his son out shopping for whatever they can get. Up and down the streets and alleys crawling.

I was doing yard work and basically stopped and stared them down. Got a good pic of them and the plates. Called it in with disclaimer it just seemed suspicious and they didn't look lost. Looked like a typical Saturday for them.
    I’ve done that too, especially since my alley has a dead end with only has 8 houses on it. See you again in 1 minute, muthaf*cker.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post

Yea we get lots of prowlers in the neighborhood. Thankfully we have 2-3 cops and a bunch of retired people with nothing better to do than stand outside their houses so 90% of the time its a reasonable deterant. Not this sunday though. Watching the footage they found the perfect 45 seconds where no one was walking down the street or in their garage.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    I'm generally cute.

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    I think lighting helps.
    Personally, I think this is the most effective solution. Every place down the block in both directions is dark. No outdoor lights on at all. Mine is lit up with every outdoor light i have with visible cameras as you approach from any angles. Not once has my garage door been tired or car doors checked despite reports of other thefts on the street every other week. I strongly feel the lights are why. Hell 4-5 years ago, someone broke into our neighbors house, while they were sleeping and stole a MacBook from the table beside someone sleeping on the couch. Meanwhile, my truck was unlocked and there was a $50 bill visible in the cupholder that my son forgot to bring in from his birthday money.

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    Personally, I think this is the most effective solution. Every place down the block in both directions is dark. No outdoor lights on at all. Mine is lit up with every outdoor light i have with visible cameras as you approach from any angles. Not once has my garage door been tired or car doors checked despite reports of other thefts on the street every other week. I strongly feel the lights are why. Hell 4-5 years ago, someone broke into our neighbors house, while they were sleeping and stole a MacBook from the table beside someone sleeping on the couch. Meanwhile, my truck was unlocked and there was a $50 bill visible in the cupholder that my son forgot to bring in from his birthday money.
    This is part/parcel to what ExtraSLow suggested IMO - making your place a hard(er) target starts with making skulking in the shadows a limited or even impossible option. I am a firm believer in using the human startle response to full effect as well, hence the loud audible alarm suggested, and when mounted inside of garage it's much harder to tell if it's digital doggies or the real deal, and that's enough to send most shitbirds into flight mode.

Regarding the trip wires, one of my favorite stories of late 60s and 70s law enforcement from my father revolves around back yard tripwires.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

With LED projector lights being able to have clean cutoffs, I'm surprised someone hasn't released a system with motion activated security lights that project a bright beam a few feet over your fence line. Alley should be lit up with cameras but I'd much rather keep my yard dark so they can't eye things up. If there's motion near the fence then blast a blinding beam from the house back so they can't see shit. Just have to angle it to not hit the neighbors house.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

If my backyard had alley access (we don't, we back onto condos so it's pretty much impossible to go back there without going through other yards first), I'd be happy for my yard lights to light up the giant doghouse with giant pawprints and destroyed chew toys strewn around. In some cases lighting up the yard may be worth it...

In fact, we do have a motion light that lights up the backyard, but it's mostly so we can see if the dog pees when we put her out at night

I lock my front and back fence gates. I sometimes get lazy with locking the garage walk-in door. Most of the time it is crimes of convenience and if they have to hop over a fence while backyard prowling they will just skip that house unless they know for certain there is a big-ticket item inside.

Bikes are locked to the wall, nothing crazy, but enough to give a thief second-thought about spending time cutting it.

I have a Wyzecam, but that's really just to see if I forgot to close the garage door / check if the cars are still in the garage.

I used to hate newer neighborhoods with no alleys and all the tiny backyards right next to each other, but I guess these days it's just one less point of entry.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    I think lighting helps. I leave my alley lights on the garage on 24/7 and also the light by the man door, as well as the light for my house man door. My yard and rear apron are always brighter than my next door neighbours...

My one neighbour also set up a nice trip wire along her yard that borders the alley. we've only got 1 funny video so far of a door checker wiping out lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post

I have motion lights lighting up the entire path that this guy took, he tripped two of them, the two along his path to the garage, didn't stop him one bit. My rear porch light is also on a dusk to dawn sensor and was on, didn't matter. Perhaps if they were always on it would be different. Oh well, I am over it now. Hope the guy gets what's coming for him. Fucking crackheads, I don't know why the government spends so much money catering to these people, let them all overdoes and die.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast