Quantcast
International students are draining food banks - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: International students are draining food banks

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems like an easy solution no? Use some of the spare campus space, build another dorm. Guarantied tenants to pay for it. Seems like a great investment for the universities.
    The int student tuition pays for executive compensation.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Seems like a great way to interfere in help balance the housing market for the federales.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    The mistake is assuming international students need the food bank, vs ‘hey, free food’.
    There are a lot of international students that are not loaded. Ones I knew were borrowing money to come and study in Canada with the hopes of either staying here or return back home with a high level credential.

It wouldn't surprise me if at least a few of them needed to access the food bank

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    There is more revenue generated per international student than domestic student. University tuition for domestic students, particularly in-province, have some regulation to them while international tuition is completely uncapped. Canada is welcoming an all time high number of international students as verified by the number of study permits issues by the Federal government. If it wasn't for increased revenue realized by the universities, why would they continue accepting more and more international students?.
    On one hand they are subsidizing Canadian students and tax payers, but on the other it is taking spots away from domestic students. It really shouldn't be relied upon as much as it is for revenue.

I do think it is healthy to have a certain number of international students, not just for financial reasons, but for introducing Canadian values and ideals to young minds from other countries. In the same way I think it is healthy for at least some Canadian students to go study overseas and learn about other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Frankly, that should be reserved for Canadian students only because plenty are going to University and need the assistance. Canadian money and donated items support the Food Bank, leave it to Canadians to use it. The Food Bank isn't a foreign aid program.
    One of the main ideals of the Food Bank is not to ask questions or shame people that use it, so there isn't really a way to stop abuse. I think the justification is that even if 4 out of 5 people are abusing it, you are still going to help the 1 person in need.

I think it is an antiquated system that relies on older values of honesty that are evaporating from modern society. Maybe it is the prevalence of social media, maybe it is the influence of other cultures, but the threat of shame doesn't discourage people from lining up for free charity anymore.

Food banks need a policy change to start verifying need or they will just be drained in the future

Honestly surprised Indians are taking food from the food bank, it's mostly things they don't like.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Step 1: Vacant office buildings converted into dorms and post secondary remote campuses.
    Step 2: Fill with international students.
    Step 3.?
    Step 4: Profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    There are a lot of international students that are not loaded. Ones I knew were borrowing money to come and study in Canada with the hopes of either staying here or return back home with a high level credential.

It wouldn't surprise me if at least a few of them needed to access the food bank
    Did you go to UBC?

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Did you go to UBC?
    No.. I went to poor people school Point taken!

Just saying there are non-rich international students that could be in need

No.. I went to poor people school
    Just wondering, as that school has gotten so much heat for letting rich international students in that they don't even really use grades anymore for admission.

My Ride
    NC1

The int student tuition pays for executive compensation.
    ya, don't international students pay the big bucks? i just assume they all got some $$$ in order to be here
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

for introducing Canadian values and ideals to young minds from other countries
    Do they offer an international MSc in "How To Be A Liberal Cuck" ?

My Ride
    This and that.

If someone truly has the need and what not then by all means, even though typically international students are supposed to be able to carry their own financial weight and that's the entire premise. There are 'influencers' making videos on 'how to get free food in Canada' and most of them are Indian/Asian and it's fucking ridiculous. Those are the fuckers that need to be kicked out of the country cause not only are you abusing the system and taking food away from the truly needy/homeless, you're fucking making videos/money on social media bragging about it? Get the fuck out of here, fucking country is getting ruined by all these retarded international students and it's such a fucking piss off. Never have I hated my own kind more before and that fucking retard Trudeau likes it taking up the ass by everyone so keeps bringing losers over with the idiotic policies. I get that he wants to populate the country cause Canadians don't believe in having too many kids, but this is certainly not the fucking way.

Another 10 years and Canada is going to be just as corrupt and fucked up like the fucking countries these pricks leave to get away for a better life. It's so fucking unfortunate that Canada is rapidly headed down this path. The fucking shit on social media about how these fuck heads in Brampton/Malton getting into fights and littering with fireworks etc. trying to 'celebrate' Diwali is the prime example of the low class of people the country seems to continue bringing. Never been this fucking embarrassed to be East Indian in my life before, boils my fucking blood.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 11-14-2023 at 01:23 PM.

10 seems optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    Do they offer an international MSc in "How To Be A Liberal Cuck" ?
    I believe this is the you are looking for:
    https://vancouver.calendar.ubc.ca/fa...elor-fine-arts

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Why is it that east indian/asian that are running amok yet you don't hear about ukrainian refugees terrorizing the prairies. Maybe there isn't enough of them? Or is it culture?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Deport
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There's a lot of young eastern-euro types hanging in the coffee shops recently. I can't tell the various types apart, but they ain't speaking english anyway. Deport.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Why is it that east indian/asian that are running amok yet you don't hear about ukrainian refugees terrorizing the prairies. Maybe there isn't enough of them? Or is it culture?
    I mean there are good eggs and bad eggs in every culture. Eastern European people are no different. I know a very hard working Ukrainian guy that runs a mobile tire shop that I use all the time, and I also know of a family with 8 kids that collects social assistance for each of their kid, neither the husband or wife works and they drive a new Mercedes. The system is there to be abused and it's based on the principals that only the truly in need will use it and it won't get abused, however, with the massive influx of immigration from all over the world, you are bound to have people that will try to take advantage of the system and that's exactly what's happening. Most of the third world and those type of countries don't have general mentality of 'do the right thing', as they come from a 'dog eat dog' world to get by in their own country and when they immigrate to Canada, they have the exact same mentality and continue down that same path.

Which is why selective immigration (point system etc.) is the best way to go rather than to blindly allow whoever the fuck shows some $ on paper to satisfy the bare minimum requirements into the country.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    There are videos all over the internet of Indian (the eastern kind) students showing how to game the system. They've been doing it for years. This country is a fucking mess.
    This original CBC article named Brampton in headline when Google fed it to me the 1st them.

Surprised now it say London and say Brampton as city "also" having problems.

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    ya, don't international students pay the big bucks? i just assume they all got some $$$ in order to be here
    They do but $100/week less for food will pay for gas for the G Wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    My East Indian employee was rear ended by a recent Ukrainian refugee.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

My East Indian employee was rear ended by a recent Ukrainian refugee.
    Was the refugee on their way to a food bank?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast