Quantcast
Cash cows gone from ring roads in 1 week! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cash cows gone from ring roads in 1 week!

Default Cash cows gone from ring roads in 1 week!

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/alberta-...fety-1.6657948

It's not a full on win. But it's a good start.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

One of the only voluntary taxes, and mostly only on inattentive drivers.

Can't say this improves my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post

What can I say, I'm old now I guess. I'd rather not kill my brakes and fuel mileage by constantly hitting the brakes under every overpass, and then having to speed back up again after confirming no PR.

My Ride
    NC1

i love the DRIVE SAFE on the vehicles
    also this is good for 89coupe
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post

Agree. I want them to keep photo radar. Only catches me if I'm not paying attention. I also feel this will increase patrols, and when I get pulled over, I'm out demerits....not to mention the revenue it adds. That's going to need to come from another property tax hike I suppose. Everyone knows the city cant spend less.

This just means you can anticipate more manned radar setups on overpasses

I feel like this will be less well received by you Calgary folk, where PR is essentially non existent.

In Edmonton, if you set your cruise at 110km/h on the henday going from West to North, there's a good chance you would receive 3 tickets in the mail for that 7minute drive. And it's most certainly not as simple as just paying attention. They are hidden on the overpasses, and you cannot see them from a distance, you literally cannot see them until you've gone under the pass and are already being radared. They have one spot on the Whitemud where it is parked up a hill in the grass amongst a bunch of trees, shooting down to the highway. It's the most conniving slimy bullshit I've ever seen.

And it's being done on roads designed for traffic to be travelling 130km/h
    Last edited by Misterman; 11-28-2023 at 10:58 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So Edmonton resident announces Edmonton sucks. Le shocked face
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I feel like this will be less well received by you Calgary folk, where PR is essentially non existent.

In Edmonton, if you set your cruise at 110km/h on the henday going from West to North, there's a good chance you would receive 3 tickets in the mail for that 7minute drive. And it's most certainly not as simple as just paying attention. They are hidden on the overpasses, and you cannot see them from a distance, you literally cannot see them until you've gone under the pass and are already being radared. They have one spot on the Whitemud where it is parked up a hill in the grass amongst a bunch of trees, shooting down to the highway. It's the most conniving slimy bullshit I've ever seen.

And it's being down on roads designed for traffic to be travelling 130km/h
    is this why everyone in Edmonton drives 20 below?

I was doing 105 on the SPF this morning (in the 100 area) and passing people like they were standing still, it's shocking.

- - - Updated - - -

also, a Calgary cop told me that they don't ticket speeding in a school zone caught by radar until 42km/h...Edmonton is really ticketing for 10 over on a highway?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I dunno about that. I'm almost certain to see photo radar on at least one of two routes I take every Sunday. Southbound Deerfoot Sunday morning ~9am and westbound Memorial just pass 14th street ~5pm or on the way back ~8pm. They're there almost like clockwork.

They seem to be there every other time I'm driving through the school zone on centre street between 36th and 38th, which also happens to be near a Tim Hortons haha

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    is this why everyone in Edmonton drives 20 below?

I was doing 105 on the SPF this morning (in the 100 area) and passing people like they were standing still, it's shocking.

- - - Updated - - -

also, a Calgary cop told me that they don't ticket speeding in a school zone caught by radar until 42km/h...Edmonton is really ticketing for 10 over on a highway?
    When I lived in Edmonton with Mayor ShitDick, the photo radar was potentially set to ticket as low as 6km/h over the limit.
    The carbon footprint from the fossil fuels used to charge the batteries that kept up with that camera flash going off like a strobe light easily warmed the planet by 0.7°C (+/- 0.9°C).
    May the tax payers throw piss on Don Iveson until he is dead in preparation for pissing on his grave. He managed to do all things wrong, eternally and I fucking hated him.

I took my summer vehicle out for a rip on 549 last weekend and hit 210 going up a hill. I had to throw that underwear out because i blew my load in my pants feeling so liberated compared to that fucking speed-prison on the East half of Whyte Ave or the Henday within 10km of 91st Street. Fuck.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Bylaw officer's in Calgary are getting moving authority so my guess is they'll fill that gap. What they'll be limited to is a mystery for now i guess. Id rather be pulled over than have some lazy dick in a car sleeping mail me a picture.

The photo radar program has been nothing more than a bs cash cow from the start.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by Shlade View Post
    Bylaw officer's in Calgary are getting moving authority so my guess is they'll fill that gap. What they'll be limited to is a mystery for now i guess. Id rather be pulled over than have some lazy dick in a car sleeping mail me a picture.

The photo radar program has been nothing more than a bs cash cow from the start.
    What's wrong with that though? I can see if it was like Edmonton, it would suck, but it hasn't been to bad in calgary. Mandate the vehicle be visible to the traffic that's being targeted. Make money from people not paying attention....plus I keep my demerit points and insurance doesn't get f'ed up like it always seems to...and I don't want to pay more to make up the pit falls from not having the photo radar revenue.

Edit. Don't get me wrong....all government needs to stop spending like me in my 20's without kids, but that ain't happening.
    Last edited by arcticcat522; 11-23-2023 at 10:41 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

Photo radar was great. That money is going to have to come from somewhere, and there’s a greater chance it will be out of my pocket. Do not like.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Lets face it.. photo radar is a cash cow whether they hide or are very clearly marked.

There is zero safety or learning when it comes to photo radar because people are either oblivious to the vehicles or get a ticket a month later and pay it and move in.

This article is just a way to silence some loud mouths and nothing more

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Edmonton is raising prop taxes 7% this year, and the propaganda re: having to "cut services" if they don't raise it by this amount is sickening.

In fact, I do want you to cut services. How about you provide the core services and not all this non-essential bullshit that is completely unsustainable. I mean, $100 million on bike lanes, $3 BILLION on a tram, $60 million on electric buses that don't work, fuck me I need to go sit down

also, fuck iveson
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

They should make photo radar tickets $2k a pop.
    Fill the budget that way.
    Can't say I remember the last time I got an inattentive speed ticket.

Does anyone have any links to sentences handed down for drivers caught with radar jamming equipment on board their vehicle?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I know someone with a laser jammer, and he says it's "not technically illegal" but you should slow down and shut it off to let the cop get a valid reading, because they'll find something to hassle you about otherwise. I don't think he has tested his theory on the roadside or courtroom.

My Ride
    V8s

Yeah I'm quite sure laser jammers are not illegal in AB. They're illegal in most of North America, but last time I looked into it we could have them here in the wild west.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast