Quantcast
School me on Japan - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: School me on Japan

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Tokyo is cool and all, but after a few times (7 or so) being there, it's usually my fly in destination, before I gtfo. Since this is your first time, you should be able to find enough to do in Tokyo. I would just watch YouTube videos, search something like 7 day Tokyo itinerary and see what looks cool. I know I am missing a ton of shit, but just some stuff that stands out after many years of not being there. Tokyo Tower, SkyTree, Imperial Palace Gardens, Asakusa area, Akihabara, Ueno park, Odaiba. I don't even recall anymore. Thinks I thought were cool back then not so cool to me anymore as I get older. I can't really imagine Tokyo as a family vacation, seems weird to me. It's like going into a city of 14 million people and then trying to find something to do as a family...much rather enjoy it by myself. Some of the theme parks and stuff might be cool, but I never went to those, never was my thing, but if you are into that, then as others have said, book in advance. It's a cool place for sure, just not the place I would pick for a family vacation personally. If you can, try to find flights into Haneda, it's a stone throw away from Tokyo, vs Narita, which is an hour away by train.

As others have said, Japan Rail pass was a good option at once, not so much anymore as they nearly doubled the price. Before a round trip from Tokyo to Osaka would be a breaking point on a 7 day pass, now it's two trips, and hardly worth it. When I first went to Japan, I was there for 7 days and did Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto/Hiroshima and back to Tokyo in a week, putting the pass to good use. If you just want to hit up important places on your first visit, it's a good way to go, but not sure if it makes sense with family.

Enjoy the trip. I'm off to Japan again in 40 days myself for 3 weeks, haven't been back since my canceled trip in 2020...fking covid. If you want to see cherry blossoms, end of March and beginning of April are your best times. I have been there during those times 4 times myself, and it's always beautiful. They open at different times throughout the country, so if you don't get to see them in one spot, you may in another part of the country if you willing to take the bullet train.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I was there in June, still miss the food and the efficiency of the population in general.

Haven't had good ramen since.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    95B

Thanks for the details.
    Our Daughter definitely wants to see the Cherry Blossoms also wants to visit the Pokemon cafe In Tokyo.
    Because of the Cherry Blossoms it looks like we will go there in March/April of 2025. Depends on the School vacation. We already have plans for March 2024. So I have plenty of time to Plan.
    Mount Fuji is another place she wants to go and see.
    Based on the suggestion from everyone here we will be going for around 10 days.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. It gives me a lot of pointers and it is much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good choice, depends on what you're looking for, there is a lot to see/do. I've been there 7 times in various cities. We just came back from Japan in Nov and we've always gone in Nov. The weather is perfect. They have an actual fall season unlike here.

I always recommend going close to Fuji for a few days if you have the time. Stay in a Ryokans around Lake Kawaguchiko, it's the most beautiful place I've been.
    Thanks for the Suggestion on Ryokans.

Mt Fuji was a PITA to get to for us. It's a couple of hours by bus from the Shinkansen station. At the first transfer station I said F it, I'm grabbing a taxi. Maybe there was a better way I didn't know about.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Mt. Fuji isn't terribly accessible in general, but it's quite doable. We were going to Fuji-Q so we just grabbed an early highway bus. Shinjuku Expressway Bus Terminal to Lake Kawaguchi and Fuji-Q Highland, it was all direct with no transfers.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    Mt Fuji was a PITA to get to for us. It's a couple of hours by bus from the Shinkansen station. At the first transfer station I said F it, I'm grabbing a taxi. Maybe there was a better way I didn't know about.
    Unless you're hiking the mountain, you dont have to "be there". There are many surrounding towns that gives you an amazing view of the the mountain. Look up Fuji five Lakes.

I agree with @eblend , Tokyo is cool for the first time but I do prefer the quieter cities. It has all the theme parks and things you want to see at least once in Japan. (Tokyo Tower, Odaiba, Tokyo City View in Roppongi Hills). If you want to go to the pokemon cafe, book online EARLY. Its sold out without mins once the booking becomes available

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    Mt. Fuji isn't terribly accessible in general, but it's quite doable. We were going to Fuji-Q so we just grabbed an early highway bus. Shinjuku Expressway Bus Terminal to Lake Kawaguchi and Fuji-Q Highland, it was all direct with no transfers.
    We came from Fukuoka off the bullet train so we had to do the regular buses on the way there.
    We took one of these highway buses back to Toyko because it was less time than taking the bus back to the shinkansen station to use the JR pass. Of course the traffic jams added an hour to the trip making it a wash lol. Bad luck I guess.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    Ryokan has set time breakfast and dinner. I would only do them at resort towns where there's nothing to check out after 6pm.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    Thanks for the details.
    Our Daughter definitely wants to see the Cherry Blossoms also wants to visit the Pokemon cafe In Tokyo.
    Because of the Cherry Blossoms it looks like we will go there in March/April of 2025. Depends on the School vacation. We already have plans for March 2024. So I have plenty of time to Plan.
    Mount Fuji is another place she wants to go and see.
    Based on the suggestion from everyone here we will be going for around 10 days.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. It gives me a lot of pointers and it is much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Re: Pokemon Cafe.

If you have trouble getting a reservation slot, line up when it's 30-45 mins before closing. It's pretty dead and you'll get a seat.

My Ride
    rally pig

@flipstah @msommers I need a refresh on Japan transportation, booked flight to Tokyo for October.
    Will be in Tokyo for the first couple of days then head east to Kyoto and Osaka. Stop by Nagoya to visit Ghibli Park.
    Not sure yet if we want to go to Fukuoka or Okinawa yet.
    Still have our PASMO card but not sure if still relevant or usable

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    @flipstah @msommers I need a refresh on Japan transportation, booked flight to Tokyo for October.
    Will be in Tokyo for the first couple of days then head east to Kyoto and Osaka. Stop by Nagoya to visit Ghibli Park.
    When I went, the JR Pass was still cheap and I bought it online so I booked it in advance and picked up all tickets in one shot.

From Nagoya to Ghibli Park, this is the guide we used with pictures. Really useful: https://ghiblipark.com/archives/634 Scroll down for the train guide.

I used my old Suica card but they also accept credit card tap on the ticket gates now so you don't really need one if you have a no forex CC. You can buy tourist PASMO with Hello Kitty on it when you land in Narita.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Sadly my info will be out of date or not useful. We weren't able to make it to the Ghibli Park and like Don said, the JR Pass selection and costs are quite different than before.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    rally pig

^JR Pass was still reasonable when you went as you went to multiple places?

i will need to start planning as I can see travel cost going to be expensive there

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

^JR Pass was still reasonable when you went as you went to multiple places?

i will need to start planning as I can see travel cost going to be expensive there
    It used to be, but now that they cranked up the price it's nowhere near as easy to make it worthwhile. JR has a handy site where you can plug in your itinerary and see if the pass makes sense.

https://www.jrpass.com/farecalculator

My Ride
    Exploded.

Still beats going through airport check in and stuff. For me, the trip to Hiroshima from Tokyo was the main reason why the JR pass was affordable.

If you’re doing mini trips, it might work out to just buy tickets on the spot vs JR pass nowadays

My Ride
    Bicycle

All these cards expires if no transaction on them for 10 years. Heard some stocks are coming back for normal IC cards so if it's still valid keep it with you.

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    It used to be, but now that they cranked up the price it's nowhere near as easy to make it worthwhile. JR has a handy site where you can plug in your itinerary and see if the pass makes sense.

https://www.jrpass.com/farecalculator

Thanks for that. I kinda expected it but it's nice to confirm.

Name:  japan.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  55.1 KB

I can go all green cars and still be cheaper than JR pass.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-17-2024 at 02:36 PM.

My Ride
    rally pig

Bought the PASMO in 2016 so should still be usable, now I need to remember what it is used for lol
    Bought the Airalo SIM card already too since it's on sale until end of January

Thanks for the fare calculator, guess they are trying to milk tourists now and it is not worth getting the JR pass for us either

so far Im planning Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima.

My Ride
    2011 Chrarger, 2018 F150

While I have never been to Japan (bucket list) I have been watching Abroad in Japan on you tube and he does have some tips and shows some interesting places / experiences to check out.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Bought the PASMO in 2016 so should still be usable, now I need to remember what it is used for lol
    Bought the Airalo SIM card already too since it's on sale until end of January

Thanks for the fare calculator, guess they are trying to milk tourists now and it is not worth getting the JR pass for us either

so far Im planning Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima.
    Nah it's to minimize the queue to print tickets at the ticket office with a person. There are more self-serve kiosks but people prefer agents.

Printing multiple tickets with a JR Pass on a self-serve kiosk was a lot of steps.

I find in Japan they're either ahead of the curve, or stuck in 1983

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

How long you gone for? that seen like a lot of different places for 1 japan trip.

Fukuoka and Okinawa is very out of the way from the main island.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast