Quantcast
Travel agents want regulated minimum commissions. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Travel agents want regulated minimum commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We use a travel agent through my work and every time I've gone through them they fuck it up. I can lay out what flight I want, what hotel on what day. and vehicle pick up and drop off time and guarenteed something is wrong. 99% of the time I catch it and we do a couple back and forths to fix it but when I don't catch it there is next to no support besides to call the same help lines I do. I purposefully make my trips last minute now so I can just expense it instead.

Also, I've noticed the rates they get are much worse than rates I would get. Especially for car rentals. So my company is losing money using them (at least domestically).
    Do they use the ATB losers that are tied to the point card?
    If so, they're the absolute worst.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    There's more value in travel agents. Don't be a jerk.
    They don't charge $15k to show you some photos, so I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Shows how much I know/use these 'in-person' travel agents. I am all about go online and do a few clicks and voila. Though I suppose I have dealt with Costco for travel in the past on the phone and that is their 'travel agent' department too.
    I looked at Costco travel the other day for the first time.
    Their flight options were some of the worst I've come across. It was taking me from calgary to Montreal to dominican when there was a direct flight. I stopped the second that happened hah.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I miss the days of just showing up at a destination and having to figure it out. It was definitely more of a lottery as to accommodation and restaurants but it was more of a cultural experience with a lot more interaction with locals and a lot less tourists.

Oh well.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

We use a travel agent through my work and every time I've gone through them they fuck it up. I can lay out what flight I want, what hotel on what day. and vehicle pick up and drop off time and guarenteed something is wrong. 99% of the time I catch it and we do a couple back and forths to fix it but when I don't catch it there is next to no support besides to call the same help lines I do. I purposefully make my trips last minute now so I can just expense it instead.

Also, I've noticed the rates they get are much worse than rates I would get. Especially for car rentals. So my company is losing money using them (at least domestically).
    It's either ubiquitous, or you work for the same company I do

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think we assume everyone has a similar ability/willingness to research and hit up a dozen websites cross shopping for good deals as people on beyond do.

There are a lot of people out there who just want to point at a map give a budget and let someone come up with details like errchry mentioned. I know lots of people, generally older, who don’t have that much trust of internet crap ( probably smart tbh ), and they spend a lot more on travel that most on here do.

I don’t fault someone for profiting to fill that niche.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    I looked at Costco travel the other day for the first time.
    Their flight options were some of the worst I've come across. It was taking me from calgary to Montreal to dominican when there was a direct flight. I stopped the second that happened hah.
    Costco third party options for the most part suck really bad.

Got a quote for exterior painting from their provider, it was 3X the amount of the next highest quote.

Window blinds quote was some insane # as well.

Travel agent? Never heard of them.

My Ride
    M3P

What agency are you using? Do you have any pull to help make a switch?

DM if you want

Leisure travel agents are a dying breed (literally and figuratively), Corporate IMO has lots of value but YMMV - you need a good one, like me. I'm @rage2 approved

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    What agency are you using? Do you have any pull to help make a switch?

DM if you want

Leisure travel agents are a dying breed (literally and figuratively), Corporate IMO has lots of value but YMMV - you need a good one, like me. I'm @rage2 approved
    Yea, thanks for helping me over the years. Got some sweet free vacay mixed into work trips where everyone is happy. Much appreciated, so you can buy me lunch next week.

New company goes thru CWT and it’s brutal. Just did my first flight, none of my confirmed seats were confirmed. My fucking knees are ded after those 4 segments.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have never had a corporate travel agent who I liked better than doing it myself. I can imagine a great one might exist somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    M3P

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I have never had a corporate travel agent who I liked better than doing it myself. I can imagine a great one might exist somewhere.
    For the traveller a lot of the time it doesn't matter. Point to point travel is rather simple, a fuckin chimp can do it. If you're trying to do any type of deviation that's when it can get a little sticky.

For the company, fiscal responsibility, tracking, after hours and emergency services, duty of care, reporting etc are important metrics that lead them to have a managed program.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Yea, thanks for helping me over the years. Got some sweet free vacay mixed into work trips where everyone is happy. Much appreciated, so you can buy me lunch next week.

New company goes thru CWT and it’s brutal. Just did my first flight, none of my confirmed seats were confirmed. My fucking knees are ded after those 4 segments.
    Interesting. My company uses cwt, and I’ve had pretty good luck.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

It really depends on the people on your account. CWT people in Canada people were good, but US based CWT people were awful. Just book it exactly how I told you...I don't want to hear about cheaper options lol

Travel agents that come highly recommended still.

Name:  652full-the-americans-(2013--2018)-screenshot.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  55.1 KB

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I'm basically the automotive researcher, IT support, travel agency and uber driver for my family and extended family. It isn't rocket science.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    For the traveller a lot of the time it doesn't matter. Point to point travel is rather simple, a fuckin chimp can do it. If you're trying to do any type of deviation that's when it can get a little sticky.

For the company, fiscal responsibility, tracking, after hours and emergency services, duty of care, reporting etc are important metrics that lead them to have a managed program.
    The benefit of a TA is when you need multiple airlines travelling interline where you want it all booked on the same ticket stock for protection and having your bags checked through to the final destination.

Otherwise, it is always best to deal with the airlines direct because you just call them to deal with shit. Booking through a TA has you calling your TA when shit hits the fan because the Airline will refuse, send you back to your booking agent to maintain those "commissions." As soon as the airline touches your ticket, the TA loses their commission. TAs get pissed and you are pissed cause the airline won't fix things.

My Ride
    M3P

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    The benefit of a TA is when you need multiple airlines travelling interline where you want it all booked on the same ticket stock for protection and having your bags checked through to the final destination.

Otherwise, it is always best to deal with the airlines direct because you just call them to deal with shit. Booking through a TA has you calling your TA when shit hits the fan because the Airline will refuse, send you back to your booking agent to maintain those "commissions." As soon as the airline touches your ticket, the TA loses their commission. TAs get pissed and you are pissed cause the airline won't fix things.
    TA - steps in and handles the situation without you waiting on hold/standing in line - yes, this is how it should work, in some circumstances a traveller needs to handle shit themselves (standing at airline desk etc)

Airline taking control of the file does not negate commissions. Depending on the GDS used to book the travel the commissions are paid out within in a week of booking (or immediate).

I can say that often times airline agents do not want to help on travel agent bookings because it's a little more difficult to navigate if it's booked in a separate system and provides extra steps to assist (see: lazy).

At any time an airline can take control of a file and push through updates/fixes and assist a traveller.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Interesting. My company uses cwt, and I’ve had pretty good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    It really depends on the people on your account. CWT people in Canada people were good, but US based CWT people were awful. Just book it exactly how I told you...I don't want to hear about cheaper options lol
    We're CWT US. And yea, my support level has been I call in, they said their system was down, took my number to call me back. That was on Tuesday. I've been home since Friday.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    V8s

Wow, mine sounds much better than that haha. I default to booking via online portal, but whenever I've had to make last min changes, etc and I phone them, they just do exactly what I need.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast