Quantcast
Nanny state, supercomputers, Ford. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Nanny state, supercomputers, Ford.

My Ride
    E46

Default Nanny state, supercomputers, Ford.

How ok are you with vehicle manufacturers collecting your data and dictating how the vehicle is repaired?

https://youtu.be/xb3jGLXw5og?si=rOo6EjBicynrYHBK

Basically, if you connect your phone to your car the vehicle manufacturer has access to everything on that device. It's not just Ford, every vehicle manufacturer does this. Even when you connect the factory scan tool to the vehicle, it logs everything. Are you OK with this or no?

https://badcyber.com/dieselgate-but-...dware-hacking/

Not cars, but I have seen things similar to this in automotives. Train manufacturer puts software in that disables the train if it shows up at someone else's workshop. Are you OK only being able to take your vehicle to the dealership to be serviced?

Discuss

Farm equipment too.
    This right to repair isn't getting anywhere. I'm sure at some point override software will develop and take off especially off warranty.

My Ride
    E46

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Farm equipment too.
    This right to repair isn't getting anywhere. I'm sure at some point override software will develop and take off especially off warranty.
    The AG battle is interesting.

I actually take the unpopular position on R2R. Automotive manufacturers are currently volunteering service information/software. Some offer better than others. I have found the biggest road block is the shop owners credit card. I hear so much whining about how much all of this costs. BMW is one of the cheaper ones but for $3600 a year you get service information for every model, scan tool software, programming software, and thousands of pages of educational material. And you buy a $2500 piece of hardware every 5 -10 years. They give you 98% of what the dealerships have. Shop owners bitch about the few thousand, very few technicians use these services to their full extent. But the manufacturers are the bad guys, apparently.

Organizations like the AIA, and shockingly the government have made good ground, and continue to do so. Unfortunately the fruits of their labor goes very under utilized.

I think override software will be a niche thing. "For off road use only" is starting to become a reality as vehicles join the IoT and V2X.