Quantcast
Small business owner? What advice do you have? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Small business owner? What advice do you have?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s extremely slow right now which is why my boss basically told me end of the month I’m done. Unfortunately you need a lot of capital to do it which is why I work for someone who bank rolls it.
    I would assume the margins are currently going to shit, but with $85k capital… and only needing $2,500/month in the growth stage I don’t see how this isn’t possible (unless amvic requires proof of commercial space for storage or something).

You’re an experienced buyer, if you can turn over a vehicle or two per month and get a track record of financials, you’d most likely be able to then qualify for a working line of capital to then move up to a viable volume to maintain a business.

My Ride
    NC1

work for the man, he/she/they gives you shit but you ignore it and shit on their time, take your holidays, etc. etc.
    but i do respect the desire to go out and give it a shot, just know statistically the odds are against you so do your best to be dang sure
    respect the entrepreneur spirit we need more of that amen
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Dropship

Find a consumable with a high return, market it better than everyone else.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    I would assume the margins are currently going to shit, but with $85k capital… and only needing $2,500/month in the growth stage I don’t see how this isn’t possible (unless amvic requires proof of commercial space for storage or something).

You’re an experienced buyer, if you can turn over a vehicle or two per month and get a track record of financials, you’d most likely be able to then qualify for a working line of capital to then move up to a viable volume to maintain a business.
    This is what I said earlier... I used to know some guys that would get paid just for finding and laying eyes on a car, whether a private seller, a dealer trade in or at an auction. With some connections on both sides of the border, surely you could build up a roster of buyers that would pay a few bucks to verify condition / calculate recon costs... Keep the $85k as dry powder for the instances where there's a good enough deal that it makes sense to buy on your own... This should be an easy $5-10k (potentially much more) for someone with the industry knowledge and contacts.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Dropship

Find a consumable with a high return, market it better than everyone else.
    like what
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    This is what I said earlier... I used to know some guys that would get paid just for finding and laying eyes on a car, whether a private seller, a dealer trade in or at an auction. With some connections on both sides of the border, surely you could build up a roster of buyers that would pay a few bucks to verify condition / calculate recon costs... Keep the $85k as dry powder for the instances where there's a good enough deal that it makes sense to buy on your own... This should be an easy $5-10k (potentially much more) for someone with the industry knowledge and contacts.
    James can be Canada’s Wayne Carini!

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    like what
    Like in Aliens. That kind of dropship.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

like what
    Fleshlight
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Lease

Paintless Dent Repair, go down to the States for just 2 weeks training. Come back and guys make a boat load once they start their own mobile biz.

https://thedingking.com/pdr-training-courses/

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Professional carpet cleaning. Either get hooked up with a realtor or a property management company and offer some marginal discount to clients refered to by those people. You need a van, the machine, and chemicals. You can run it yourself or pay someone else to do it. When you're done sell off the assets and the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

like what
    He literally just is a TikTok junkie. He 100% saw a TikTok on drop shipping and how it’s huge money, just need to be better advertising..

My Ride
    E46

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Lots to think about thanks everyone. I agree that buying a business in an industry I don’t know much about isn’t likely or the least risky. I’m mulling over a couple things like a side business doing vehicle reconditioning (do a lot of that already at my job) and still looking at jobs in the auto industry. Potentially may be able to get some more schooling done online to make myself look more attractive for other jobs that I don’t overly qualify for now as well.
    I'm not sure if this is good advice or not. The automotive industry is the world that you know already. There are tonnes of podcasts, FB groups, professional forums, etc of shop owners talking about mistakes they made, what worked and what didn't. Billed time, profit margins, government/tax problems, account relationships all basic business stuff. Start collecting knowledge on how to run a business in an industry that you understand. Even if you decide to get out of the automotive industry, I would assume that many of these skills would transfer over to another industry?
    A lot of automotive shops fail because a technician gets pissed off and thinks he can do better. He is good a fixing cars but doesn't realize that running a business is a totally different skill set and fails. Absorb as much business/management material as you can so you don't jump into something totally blind and unprepared.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post

You have to give AMVIC a 50k security deposit.
    https://www.amvic.org/business/busin...cense-classes/

City of calgary won't give you a business license without a properly zoned commercial property with enough parking to meet your business plan. I have been told the city is fairly easy to work with, but AMVIC is the difficult one.
    https://www.calgary.ca/for-business/...intenance.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3