Quantcast
Short Term Disability. Am I Still Employed? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Short Term Disability. Am I Still Employed?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you want to have a grown up and mature conversation as to why you deserve additional comp then I am all ears. But bring data to support your stance.
    Yes. I’ve been on both sides of this, and that’s the way to go.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Flexray View Post
    Most dealerships are ran by scumbags so you have to speak their language.
    Translation: you need to negotiate your vacation demands with four squares.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm going to invent a five square sheet one day mindblown.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E46

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    If one of my employees came to me with a written agreement from another company as a way to negotiate with me I would wish them well with their new endeavour.

If you want to have a grown up and mature conversation as to why you deserve additional comp then I am all ears. But bring data to support your stance.
    That doesn't happen in the automotive industry. There is no stack or resumes sitting on the bosses desk. If you fire someone their chair/desk/ bay will remain empty for a long time. I haven't seen someone get fired in many years, even when it is very obvious that it needs to happen.

Mature conversations do get you farther through.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Techs who work for a flat rate vs an advisor who is also in sales… different conversations

If a tech works better than the next tech, they make more. If they want a higher base, we’ll go do some research on the current market value of your labour. Going to a competitor could be an avenue for this research.

An advisor on the other hand can find metrics of what they are contributing to the overall business and can create an argument for a specific value they wish to achieve, either in commission structure, additional benefits (like weeks off), or base comp. if you have a level headed boss and you can put together a report of your contributions, that’s probably the way to go, as they can now get the budget needed for their department from the bean counters if they have solid figures to reference vs a blind ask of “I deserve more cause you never fired me in 10yrs” …that’s a public sector mentality

My Ride
    E46

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Techs who work for a flat rate vs an advisor who is also in sales… different conversations

If a tech works better than the next tech, they make more. If they want a higher base, we’ll go do some research on the current market value of your labour. Going to a competitor could be an avenue for this research.

An advisor on the other hand can find metrics of what they are contributing to the overall business and can create an argument for a specific value they wish to achieve, either in commission structure, additional benefits (like weeks off), or base comp. if you have a level headed boss and you can put together a report of your contributions, that’s probably the way to go, as they can now get the budget needed for their department from the bean counters if they have solid figures to reference vs a blind ask of “I deserve more cause you never fired me in 10yrs” …that’s a public sector mentality
    Technicians and service advisors are very similar in many regards. Neither can function without one another. And a skilled one is rare and worth their weight in gold. Technicians have to bill hours, service advisors have to sell those hours. Both get paid on sold hours. The parts guys get paid the least, I think they are just straight hourly. But they are equally as important, no parts, nothing gets fix. All of these departments have to work together, but don't because everyone is looking out for themselves.

The type of technician I am puts me into a weird category, I have to be creative on how I negotiate compensation. The biggest metric that technicians are measured on is speed and billed hours. Those are my weakest areas. I'm very skilled in diagnostics and electrical. I will usually hit book time on mechanical repair (that is considered slow) but I will correctly diagnose and repair any strange electrical or drivability problem. On paper, according to the numbers I look like a shitty tech. But I soak up all of the hard jobs and un-fuck fuck-ups for the shop. But, turning hours is the most important, apparently.

When I want something. I will usually wait until like October, and take a week or two off. Fall is the busiest time and the shop is making the most money. When I come back, I usually have a bunch of disaster vehicles to deal with. After they all get sorted I will have a sit down with my boss and tell him what I want, right when all of the disasters are fresh in his mind. This strategy works well. I function on a three strikes rule, when my employer commits three cardinal sins. I pick up my tools and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I once had 4 weeks, was allowed to buy 2, and had 12 flex. Plus the comp was wicked. Damn I miss that country club.
    I had 5 weeks vacation plus the week of Christmas off. Then add on the one Friday a month off. Man I miss my cushy Oil n Gas gig.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3