Quantcast
Window Ice and Condensation - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Window Ice and Condensation

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Window Ice and Condensation

How are you guys fairing today?

On half of our windows we have condensation about 1-1.5 cm high on the bottoms of the windows and in some cases full on frost. I used a plastic scraper for the dishes and scrapped the inside. The 2nd floor is the worst and the basement actually has nothing, main floor is mixed.

We don't have a humidifier hooked up, turned down the thermostat humidity setting to as low as it can go and I've got humidistats around the house and ambient is ~35%. Most of the window coverings are open or if closed left open ~8” for circulation.

The windows are double pane but I get worried that they're actually damaged from the previous owners and we have leaks rather than a humidity problem internally.

Would love to not have to wipe and scrap the windows every morning it's -15C or colder. Wife thinks it's normal and 'everyone gets condensation.' Growing up I've never dealt with it and that was an older 60s bungalow.

Would triple pane solve this?
    Last edited by msommers; 01-11-2024 at 09:58 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    V8s

That humidity level is pretty high relative to the ambient temp this week. Triple pane windows would probably help, but instead of spending $50k, you might try an HRV. Or getting rid of your houseplants.

I turned our humidifier off a few days ago, and we're sitting around 26% now. Any window that has the blinds pulled up has zero, or negligible condensation. When the blinds are down (e.g., in kids rooms overnight), their windows are pretty fucked in the morning, but we just lift the blinds and let them air out.

edit: Humidity guidelines from the internet:
    Name:  humidity.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  47.7 KB
    Last edited by bjstare; 01-11-2024 at 10:04 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I complained about this in the weather thread a few days ago. We never had the issue until this year, our first winter with HE Furnace. I think it's a combination of things. The old furnace used interior air to burn, so would evaporate and exhaust all the humidity. Since the new one uses exterior air, there's nothing to get rid of it. Our main floor is double pane (and 30 year old) windows, and the basement is brand new triple pane. There's zero condensation on those.

So HE furnace, plus old leaky windows is likely the cause. So far the best temporary solution I've found is to have the window coverings open all the time. A more permanent solution is a HRV.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    changes every year

I know my windows are about 25 years old and I don't have a humidifier but opening the blinds a few inches definitely helps.

My Ride
    Cummins F10

ya, I opened the blinds and turned on all the bathroom vents to get rid of the moisture on the windows.

You could turn on a fan to increase airflow if its really bad..
    Originally posted by Mibz
    The criteria for being a Beyond Baller is simply knowing you are one.
    Deleted F10 535d
    My hybrid burns Diesel & Oil

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

We have a passive HRV but kind of thinking we should invest in an active one. The drain tube is bone dry and the filter got cleaned in the Fall. We have the blower fan running 24/7 on Medium speed, moves a surprising amount of air. @bjstare thanks for the chart, puts things into context.

@tiktok yeah all the high-efficiency furnaces seem to be at the root of the problem along with air tight sealing of modern homes - would rather spend the money on gas than fucking around cleaning windows every morning.

I get worried the seals from the freeze/thaw of this shit has or will cause damage to the windows. Hate to drop 50K on new windows that are only 10 years old to only semi-fix the problem.

Can try cracking the upstairs windows an 1" for a bit and keep the bathroom fans on, hopefully that helps.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

22% in our place with old ass windows and still get a 1" creep on some windows. We try to keep as much airflow over the windows as possible but yeah I think for any older home ice/condensation is pretty inevitable.

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

sitting at 27%, ecobee keeping windows frost free due to auto humidity changes via humidibee

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The air outside is dry. If you want to dry the air in your home, you need more air exchange. Run bathroom fans, furnace ventilation system (if you have that), or open a window/door for a while.

Dew point outdoors today is -34C according to my sensors. Dew point in my house is about +2c right now. No condensation on my triple pane windows, although you get local condensation after a shower etc.

Of note, I STOP using bathroom fans in this cold weather to keep moisture in. Had an extra long shower with the bathroom door open today to let some steam out into the house to bring humidity up.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sitting at 22-27 % humidity and that seems to have helped. I’m expecting to have some work to do this evening on the matter.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Earlier this week I had 3/13 windows with a small amount of condensation, at the time my home humidity was 46-50%. Since then I’ve turned down the humidifier to 15%, house is sitting at 26% humidity today and no condensation or frost on any windows.

My Ride

My hallway (beside the bathroom) says 33%, and my living room says 27%. I think I'm ok with that, now that it's coming down from the 40%+ it was a few days ago.

I've also been running the bathroom fan quite a bit longer than normal after showers. Usually I put the timer on for 15min after, but I'm leaving it on for an hour for the time being.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Of note, I STOP using bathroom fans in this cold weather to keep moisture in. Had an extra long shower with the bathroom door open today to let some steam out into the house to bring humidity up.
    This.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

We've turned off our furnace humidifier and still sit around 45%-50% consistently. Been running the HRV during the daytime to help dry the house out (currently sitting at 44%) in anticipation of this cold snap. Likely need to run it 24/7.

Our triple pane windows get some moisture/ice which I wipe down in the morning and evening. Tons of build up overnight under the blinds.

My Ride
    *The First*

In before "Nosebleed and Winter Itch Mega Thread" starts next week and the advice is "increase humidity".
    LoL!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Might be worth investigating if there are some whole house dehumidifier options to turn on when temps get below a certain point. Our heat pump measures ambient temperature and talks to the thermostat which could automatically turn on/off a dehumidifier...hmm
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    In before "Nosebleed and Winter Itch Mega Thread" starts next week and the advice is "increase humidity".
    LoL!
    Get a sauna or steam room.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Might be worth investigating if there are some whole house dehumidifier options to turn on when temps get below a certain point. Our heat pump measures ambient temperature and talks to the thermostat which could automatically turn on/off a dehumidifier...hmm
    There are some larger ones that can handle 2000sqft for $5-600'ish. I decided against it until I see how bad it really gets in our house after this weekend. The biggest PITA with a dehumidifier is having to empty the tank all the time. I could put it in the laundry room and have it drain into the floor, but that's not ideal because it would only sense the humidity in that room.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Open the door bro. that humidity will leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Trucks

If you have a problem window in this cold just keep the covering open and place a portable fan to blow onto the glass. Easy fix.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast