Quantcast
Sonoff Smart Plugs - Connectivity issue - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sonoff Smart Plugs - Connectivity issue

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default Sonoff Smart Plugs - Connectivity issue

Does anyone use Sonoff smart plugs?
    I bought a couple to track energy usage. But I can't get them to connect to the app.
    They only work on the 2.4ghz band.

Im on Telus and the router is called WIFI Hub. I have logged into the router. I have switched off the 5ghz. I have gone into the eWeLink app and it can't find compatible devices (they are in pairing mode).

I have gone back into the router and then used the Smart Device Network instead. I have switched my phone Wifi to connect to this as the name is not broadcast and the password is different.

WPS interface is also set to 2.4ghz.
    Ive followed the Telus instructions regarding smart devices and they say the same thing.

Ive logged into the app (Android Phone) and the app still cannot find the device(s). The plugs are in pairing mode.

Im at a loss. Im not sure, any idea why this would be happening?
    THw
    On a side note. I had my laptop plugged into the smart plug as I was attempting to troubleshoot this. My laptop switched to battery mode after a while. WTF. Then I realised my fridge had not been on. I disconnected the second device from the fridge. If the smart plugs are not connected, do they stop electric flow?

Edit: I forgot to mention. I have reset the modem and the router. I have also used the online Telus thing to reset the optical connection.

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

you pair to the plugs wifi network first. when it’s in pairing mode, go to your phones wifi and selected the wifi that is being broadcast by the plug, nothing to do with your telus wifi.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by tha_bandit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you pair to the plugs wifi network first. when it’s in pairing mode, go to your phones wifi and selected the wifi that is being broadcast by the plug, nothing to do with your telus wifi.
    Yup. Most of these devices need you to connect to the 2.4ghz band on your PHONE for it to work properly. The app is the middleman for it to connect and usually works pretty well.

Sonoff is one of the few brands which make this pretty painless.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Son of a...
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

The plugs are not broadcasting anything. When I go to my wifi on my phone it just shows the WIFI in the surrounding apartments.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Got a link to the plugs? I know sonoff has a bunch of zigbee stuff, so I wonder if you accidentally bought some sonoff zigbee ones instead of wifi ones??
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    The plugs are not broadcasting anything. When I go to my wifi on my phone it just shows the WIFI in the surrounding apartments.
    Did you follow my instructions?

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Got a link to the plugs? I know sonoff has a bunch of zigbee stuff, so I wonder if you accidentally bought some sonoff zigbee ones instead of wifi ones??
    yea check or post model number
    Last edited by tha_bandit; 01-26-2024 at 11:14 AM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Did you follow my instructions?
    Sorry brother im a bit a lost here. Lets break up my process.

My understanding on the instructions is that my smart phone has to be connected to 2.4ghz wifi network.
    I have done this by disabling the 5ghz on my Telus router. My phone is connected to my wifi on 2.4ghz now.
    When I open the app. It asks for my Telus wifi and password. I enter this and when I try to pair, nothing comes up.
    I switched to the other wifi. That still does not work.

As per your instructions, I am supposed to connect to Device itself as it is broadcasting? I am not picking up anything in my wifi from the device.
    I don't know how to configure my phone (Samsung S20) to only pick up the 2.4ghz network, its automatic.
    I can configure my phone to be a hotspot and only broadcast in that frequency.

When I open the connection app it automatically picks up my wifi and asks for my password.
    From that I try the two different pairing modes. But nothing...
    The instructions say if pairing mode does not work to try and connect to WIFI SSID wit ITEAD****** and enter password 12345678. I have no idea what this is. Nothing comes up.

Bandit and Smurf, This is the product. I got it off Amazon. Some people in the 1 star reviews are having a similar issue.

https://sonoff.tech/product/smart-plugs/s31-s31lite/

This is the manual: https://sonoff.tech/wp-content/uploa...2-20201130.pdf

Name:  Screenshot_20240126_100453_eWeLink.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  38.8 KB
    Last edited by tonytiger55; 01-26-2024 at 11:27 AM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Don't disable your 5ghz. You should be able to split your wifi so you can keep your 5ghz running and your 2.4ghz running on both sides because you'll need that setup correctly for these devices to work at all times.
    For your phone you need to tell it to not auto connect to your normal SSID for 5ghz and then manually enter the 2.4ghz SSID on the phone and also set this to not auto-connect.

Then from there you will need to open the app and follow the "Compatible Pairing Mode" part and you should see the ITEAD SSID in the list of nearby WIFI access points.

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

in your screenshot, you’re trying to connect to the telus wifi? you don’t need to change anything on your telus stuff.

i’d start over with the plug. look in the manual under Switch Network, then follow firebanes steps above.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Don't disable your 5ghz. You should be able to split your wifi so you can keep your 5ghz running and your 2.4ghz running on both sides because you'll need that setup correctly for these devices to work at all times.
    For your phone you need to tell it to not auto connect to your normal SSID for 5ghz and then manually enter the 2.4ghz SSID on the phone and also set this to not auto-connect.

Then from there you will need to open the app and follow the "Compatible Pairing Mode" part and you should see the ITEAD SSID in the list of nearby WIFI access points.
    Am I connecting to the signal emitted from the smart plug. Or my 2.4ghz signal. This is the part I am not understanding. I gone through the process of elimination for both.

I added the WIFI smarthub connection (2.4ghz)yesterday manually. It has a different password.
    Ok I have set the phone not to auto connect to this.

When I open the app and then select compatible pairing mode. The Wifi is blank. So I select it to search for a WIFI. I see my two Telus WIFI signals (2.4ghz). The normal one and smart hub one. The normal one is at (2.4ghz) as I have taken the 5ghz off(i checked this though my phone). Even if 5ghz is on I get the same result.

If I select the Smart hub signal ( 2.4ghz ) from my wifi. I can't pair. If I am not to pair with this. Then I presume I am searching for a signal called ITEAD. OK. But does not exist in the WIFI selection on the app.

Is the ITEAD the signal coming from the smart plug?
    Which I would deduct there is no signal coming from either of the smart devices. I have them in pairing mode( Blue LED flashing twice and 1 long flash).

Telus has a document for this too. I have followed the instructions on this as well. Option 1 and Option 3. (2 does not apply to me).

https://www.telus.com/en/support/art...roubleshooting

I don't think the smart plugs are broadcasting anything to connect to.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

The ITEAD comes from the plug yes. If you are not seeing this then you need to put it into either manual pairing mode or the quick pair mode outlined in the document you listed.

The ITEAD will show up on your PHONE as a SSID that you can connect to. If you do not see this show up on your phone then the plug is not in pairing mode.

Are you 100% sure these are WIFI units? Send the link for the Amazon product.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

in your screenshot, you’re trying to connect to the telus wifi? you don’t need to change anything on your telus stuff.

i’d start over with the plug. look in the manual under Switch Network, then follow firebanes steps above.
    Ive done this. But the app does not detect anything.
    Ive gone through process of elimination and trying various combinations. But I don't think this is working.
    I think i may have to return this. Is there a alternative brand?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Ive done this. But the app does not detect anything.
    Ive gone through process of elimination and trying various combinations. But I don't think this is working.
    I think i may have to return this. Is there a alternative brand?
    Don't worry about the app right now. Put that aside. Focus on the plug itself and your phone.

If you have the plug correctly in pairing mode the ITEAD SSID will show up so you could connect to it on your phone. The app just acts as a middleman.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

The ITEAD comes from the plug yes. If you are not seeing this then you need to put it into either manual pairing mode or the quick pair mode outlined in the document you listed.

The ITEAD will show up on your PHONE as a SSID that you can connect to. If you do not see this show up on your phone then the plug is not in pairing mode.

Are you 100% sure these are WIFI units? Send the link for the Amazon product.
    Thanks for the help.
    Ive done both modes and different combos. No joy.

This is the Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08GKGS197?...t_details&th=1

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Thanks for the help.
    Ive done both modes and different combos. No joy.

This is the Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08GKGS197?...t_details&th=1
    If you can't get the SSID to show up on your phone trying either of those methods then it could be defective. I can't help as I run 2 of the Zigbee models but then don't do power monitoring so maybe someone else has an idea for a good option.

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

lol just give up and order these, way easier:
    https://a.co/d/ifov173

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

lol just give up and order these, way easier:
    https://a.co/d/ifov173
    I returned the others. The return process is soo much easier now. I did not have to pack anything.
    Ive order the ones on your link. Lets see what happens..

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Yah Amazon will pimp out drop locations to handle packaging for you lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast