Quantcast
GM Magnaride Replacement - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GM Magnaride Replacement

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Default GM Magnaride Replacement

We’ve got a 2018 Escalade ESV w/ 140,000kms and it was time to replace the Delco Magnaride. They were leaking on both front shocks. GM dealer quoted $6000, Davenport was parts + $1600 (this is downright reasonable as they allow me to provide the parts). I decided to order the parts and do it myself because I don’t want my kids to grow up and be indecisive about their pronouns.
    I ordered the Arnott MR3840 complete strut kit so as not to kill myself with a spring compressor. I used Arnott MR3626 for the rear. All were active replacements, not the passive stuff which defeats the purpose of owning these trucks. They were $2900 for four corners off RockAuto (I used someone’s 5% code off here - thanks).
    Removal of the strut was easy, replacement was not.i could not get the new Strut to slot on top of the lower control arm. I had a 36” pry bar as leverage to push the CA down and it was still an inch low. Instructions were poor, but there was a YouTube video where a guy loosened the end links and this was the difference maker. Second strut went in under 15 minutes. Completed the rears last night and test drive successful. Truck now rides like it’s supposed to and not like a Massey Ferguson.

For anyone with a K2xx Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade/Sierra/Silverado. These shocks will fail. Apparently GM warranties the new replacements for life. Arnott offers 3 years.GM does not sell a complete strut assembly
    Name:  IMG_5988.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  148.3 KB

My Ride
    K-car

I’ve used the Arnott stuts when I had the Escalade. They were still great 3 years after installation, sold the truck so can’t say anything for longevity beyond that. My wife swore it rode way nicer with the Arnott’s too.

I totally recommend them to anyone with magnaride.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I'm going with a mag delete kit next time these shit shocks blow out. Fox adjustables or something fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    Pipe

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    We’ve got a 2018 Escalade ESV w/ 140,000kms and it was time to replace the Delco Magnaride. They were leaking on both front shocks. GM dealer quoted $6000, Davenport was parts + $1600 (this is downright reasonable as they allow me to provide the parts). I decided to order the parts and do it myself because I don’t want my kids to grow up and be indecisive about their pronouns.
    I ordered the Arnott MR3840 complete strut kit so as not to kill myself with a spring compressor. I used Arnott MR3626 for the rear. All were active replacements, not the passive stuff which defeats the purpose of owning these trucks. They were $2900 for four corners off RockAuto (I used someone’s 5% code off here - thanks).
    Removal of the strut was easy, replacement was not.i could not get the new Strut to slot on top of the lower control arm. I had a 36” pry bar as leverage to push the CA down and it was still an inch low. Instructions were poor, but there was a YouTube video where a guy loosened the end links and this was the difference maker. Second strut went in under 15 minutes. Completed the rears last night and test drive successful. Truck now rides like it’s supposed to and not like a Massey Ferguson.

For anyone with a K2xx Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade/Sierra/Silverado. These shocks will fail. Apparently GM warranties the new replacements for life. Arnott offers 3 years.GM does not sell a complete strut assembly
    Name:  IMG_5988.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  148.3 KB
    *Thumps desk with closed fist in approval*

My Ride
    G37X

A job well done, saving money and teaching your kids valuable skills. I'm a little shocked at how quick those shocks failed relative to the model year/kms. Maybe that's normal for magnaride.

Quote Originally Posted by SJW View Post
    I'm going with a mag delete kit next time these shit shocks blow out. Fox adjustables or something fun.
    Why not ditch the shit company that produces shit product that the aftermarket companies seem to love making solutions for?

GM customers seem to be most prone to the effects of Stockholm Syndrome, at least Ford customers entrapment can be explained by predatory lending practices.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Just came in to post that Arnott also makes good option for the ridicularsly priced Acura magnetic shocks on the MDX. My hockey bro got his swapped out and made his ride serviceable again. Similar reports with Arnott shocks on Land Rovers.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    A job well done, saving money and teaching your kids valuable skills. I'm a little shocked at how quick those shocks failed relative to the model year/kms. Maybe that's normal for magnaride.
    I don’t know much about magneride, but parts failing at low km is a hallmark of American cars.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

All Magnaride equipped vehicles will have these fail….like normal shocks but more expensive. Pay to play and all that. My mileage is not abnormal for the failure and I had been planning for it so it is what it is. Everyone has their experiences, but I’ve had good luck with K2xx series GM product. Also, we have a farm in Sask and a brutal road into our property on Koocanusa so it’s seen some gravel and rocks. bJ, let me know when you find a vehicle that doesn’t need maintenance.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Good to know that Arnott's have been decent around here. 2 of my 3 vehicles have some sort of Air. I replaced the truck auto-leveling with AC Delco from Rock Auto because it wasn't overly expensive. But my car also has 4 corner air ride and the Arnott reviews are... meh. All 4 corners would be $2k for parts compared to $6-$8k for others....
    Cos...

My Ride
    V8s

All Magnaride equipped vehicles will have these fail….like normal shocks but more expensive. Pay to play and all that. My mileage is not abnormal for the failure and I had been planning for it so it is what it is. Everyone has their experiences, but I’ve had good luck with K2xx series GM product. Also, we have a farm in Sask and a brutal road into our property on Koocanusa so it’s seen some gravel and rocks. bJ, let me know when you find a vehicle that doesn’t need maintenance.
    Haha it was a tongue in cheek comment. I’m sure the air suspension on my Lexus will need replacing around 150k too.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Haha it was a tongue in cheek comment. I’m sure the air suspension on my Lexus will need replacing around 150k too.
    All good, I actually think you’ve got the one system that won’t give you problems. We had a LX570 with 240,000kms that did not have issues with the air system. Those are great vehicles and if we didn’t have 4 kids, we’d still have that LX

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Question. Isn’t Magneride supposed to be awesome? Like one of the better parts of those vehicles?

Why are people so eager to use something else?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Question. Isn’t Magneride supposed to be awesome? Like one of the better parts of those vehicles?

Why are people so eager to use something else?
    It's the price. I have a 6.2L in my denali and i feel like this is too heavy for these shocks. They blew out at 60,000km. The cost to replace is huge and for my needs (gravel roads) they're just not durable enough. I'll be switching to a delete kit next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Unrelated, but y'all know I can't stay out of threads. Back in the day I had an Eddie Bauer expedition with air ride, and it was incredible for rough roads and gravel. Best gravel vehicle I've ever had. It leaked a little when parked, but otherwise worked great.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Ftfy

Quote Originally Posted by extraslow View Post
    Name:  Lu5tgUP.gif
Views: 154
Size:  6.81 MB

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I can't tell if you are calling me rich or cheap, but both are true.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

"My 2 Cents"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Fuck you are right. In addition to being rich and/or cheap I'm also an idiot.

My Ride
    K-car

The gap between domestic and imports in terms of reliability has nearly disappeared. Seems both equally have their share of issues as they age. When people ask me what the most reliable SUV is it’s a 5.7 Sequoia hands down. The GM’s are a close second. Honda has fallen, Nissan may as well be Chrysler/Dodge, Mazda hit/miss, Hyundai/Kia is laughable, and the Germans will always be what they are, a gamble. That leave’s Toyota, and the new Tundra is having some teething pain for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast