Quantcast
UCP pronouns trans surgery MEGATHREAD - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: UCP pronouns trans surgery MEGATHREAD

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Smith incorrectly suggests that parental rejection of 2SLGBTQIA+ kids is rare.

According to a Canadian study by the Family Acceptance Project, 30 per cent of families reject their child when they come out, and many are removed from their homes.

Among youth who are homeless, 20 per cent identify as 2SLGBTQIA+.

For those who experience family rejection, the rates of suicide are incredibly high.

According to the 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey, 79 per cent of those rejected by their families experienced suicidal ideation and 43 per cent have made a suicide attempt."

https://theconversation.com/albertas...vidence-222579
    Interesting statistics - definitely sad and show how the world needs to be more accepting of 2SLGBTQIA++++ but not very relevant to the regulation being discussed.

The children have the choice of a) not changing their official name / pronouns at school; or b) changing them and having their parents notified.

No one is forcing them to come out and teachers aren't being required to share with parents if the kids are up to "homosexual behaviour" at school or even dressing as the alternate sex or goth or slut or whatever other identity they choose to have. If they want to change their name/pronouns at school, parents should know. Seems simple.

Sadly, whether they are allowed to change their names/pronouns without their parents knowing isn't going to change the statistics you referenced much at all - if anything, I think it would lead to healthy conversations between parents and children more often than not.

I don't even know how schools handle this from a gym changing room / bathroom policy? Or is everything unisex now so that there's no division? Boys on the girls sports teams and such?

One would think that's the only practical next step from the Left given this gem from the article you linked:

Yet again, Smith hasn’t listened to the experts. Some scientists maintain that trans women and girls have no “biological advantage” over cisgender girls and women.
    A book on the topic that reviewed evidence on testosterone determined there is no direct relation between the hormone and athletic performance. It found that while testosterone can be linked to muscle mass and muscle memory, there’s no connection to other capacities like endurance and flexibility.
    Really, that article and this debate is exactly what the Liberals want - and it has nothing to do with looking out for kids. They just want a rage-bait topic to make the Conservatives look evil to get their ABC votes.

Where's the research on the positive outcomes/discussions that will arise from children being forced to discuss these topics with a counsellor before addressing the parents or making such a change? It was part of the Saskatchewan Law and I assume part of the Alberta one too?

The legislation says if it’s believed a student would be harmed because of the pronoun consent requirement, the school’s principal is to direct the student to a counsellor. The counsellor would then develop a plan with the student to help them make a request to their parent to receive consent.
    Seems completely reasonable to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Alberta teachers are some of, if not the highest paid teachers in all of NA.
    That doesn't make them well paid for the shit they put up with (ironically, parents being the biggest headache).

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    That doesn't make them well paid for the shit they put up with (ironically, parents being the biggest headache).
    Do you know how much involvement I have with my kid's schooling? Zero. They're in high school now. It is all up to them. Like really, what could I possibly do anyhow? "Do better in calculus!!"??

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Do you know how much involvement I have with my kid's schooling? Zero. They're in high school now. It is all up to them. Like really, what could I possibly do anyhow? "Do better in calculus!!"??
    Then you're one of the good ones. My family is filled with teachers, most of whom who have left the profession or retired. Parents caused them insane amounts of grief because they think their kid is gifted or special or that the kid is not performing because the "teacher doesn't know how to teach".

Apparently Engineers are the worst... they seem to think their iron ring also qualifies as a 5-year teaching degrees.

BUT, to the parents' defense, there's not very good communication between schools and parents - this law aims to resolve some of that but what teachers really need is more prep time during the year.

Then you're one of the good ones. My family is filled with teachers, most of whom who have left the profession or retired. Parents caused them insane amounts of grief because they think their kid is gifted or special or that the kid is not performing because the "teacher doesn't know how to teach".

Apparently Engineers are the worst... they seem to think their iron ring also qualifies as a 5-year teaching degrees.

BUT, to the parents' defense, there's not very good communication between schools and parents - this law aims to resolve some of that but what teachers really need is more prep time during the year.
    Grades K-9 parents can be overbearing fuckers.

But your teachers are overstating the issue. It's a few parents that are like that. I'm also surprised they didn't know the standard answers: If they think they're gifted, then get them assessed. It's about $2500.

Any teachers I know love what they do and know their paid well for what they do. A few of my buddies all agree it's better to teach the older kids as they change classes multiple times a day. This saves their sanity in case Jenny's having a really bad day, their not stuck with that kid all day.

If I use my oldest kid as an example. There were a few teachers that were amazing and other useless tits. Some years regardless of how much you asked you'd never hear from them. We would have no way to know how our kid was doing until report cards came out.

Yeah my youngest was not impressed with her Grade 10 science teacher. She'd just play YT videos and leave the classroom.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have a lot of empathy for teachers, but there are certainly a lot on the bottom end of the bell curve. Had one admit during spring parent conferences that she "hadn't marked anything yet this year" and "had no idea how the kids were doing". At that point, it seems like she wouldn't have time to ever catch up, I assume she just made up the year-end grades for the little darlings.

Teachers, Fallible, flawed, human, overworked, distracted, short-term relationships with kids, not liable
    Parents, fallible, flawed, human, overworked, distracted, long term relationships with kids, liable.

The other thing is that I think many teachers would PREFER not to keep secrets from parents, because that too opens them up to negative consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

The bar to become a teacher is not very high. It is more a matter of whether you want/can afford to stay in school for six years.

U of T now requires applicants in "human-interacting" majors to take the Casper test. I guess they were graduating too many sociopathic nurses and teachers.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Shrug. What kind of communication are you looking for? Specific feedback on the kids - individually?

Not going to happen other than reporting period, or they are having major challenges.

It’s impossible to give that much feedback to the parents with 25-30 kids in the classes. My kids school does very good at keeping the communication rolling, the general not personalized goings on weekly.

Managing a team at work of 10 is crazy enough for constant feedback. I can’t imagine trying to do that with 30 kids - expectations need to be managed from the parents.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The bar to become a teacher is not very high. It is more a matter of whether you want/can afford to stay in school for six years.

U of T now requires applicants in "human-interacting" majors to take the Casper test. I guess they were graduating too many sociopathic nurses and teachers.
    I'd like them to take the turing test.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Shrug. What kind of communication are you looking for? Specific feedback on the kids - individually?

Not going to happen other than reporting period, or they are having major challenges.

It’s impossible to give that much feedback to the parents with 25-30 kids in the classes. My kids school does very good at keeping the communication rolling, the general not personalized goings on weekly.

Managing a team at work of 10 is crazy enough for constant feedback. I can’t imagine trying to do that with 30 kids - expectations need to be managed from the parents.
    I dunno I thought the teachers did a great job with that during elementary and middle school.

Maybe the schools were rich or something but every classroom had a TA in addition to a teacher.

And cot damn some of them were hot.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Remember when teachers used to handwrite how you did in school? And now teachers have no fucking clue about kids?

The keebler elves do.

Y'all have kids in shitty schools or something?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Had one admit during spring parent conferences that she "hadn't marked anything yet this year" and "had no idea how the kids were doing". At that point, it seems like she wouldn't have time to ever catch up, I assume she just made up the year-end grades for the little darlings.
    I aspire to this level of idiocy while keeping my entire summer open - paid.

But seriously, please tell me this is a giant stretch of the truth.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    NC1

more asian tiger parenting and less on the teachers!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    But seriously, please tell me this is a giant stretch of the truth.
    Oh man I wish I was exaggerating this one. I'm extra sensitive to this bullshit too since my kid has a diagnosed learning disability and very much relies on the teachers to be at the top of their game.

Oh man I wish I was exaggerating this one. I'm extra sensitive to this bullshit too since my kid has a diagnosed learning disability and very much relies on the teachers to be at the top of their game.
    Not surprising. What grade? They should have an IPP, what does it say?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I won't go too far into the specifics, but schools have been very hit-or-miss at following the IPP. During the year I'm referencing, it was a total miss.

I won't go too far into the specifics, but schools have been very hit-or-miss at following the IPP. During the year I'm referencing, it was a total miss.
    Apparently the teachers get in trouble if they don't follow them, whatever that means.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

And here what I understood is IPP’s were just a method to get extra funding from the school board, and crafty principals just put every kid in the school on them to maximize the slush funding with no obligation to direct those funds to helping the students in question.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast