Quantcast
Honda 1.5T Engines - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Honda 1.5T Engines

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If Lexus would just tell me when my GX is arriving I’d sell you my NX lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    No, I like RDX's. Wonder if long term ownership cost would be much higher.. premium fuel, more fancy items to break, etc. Those new RDX's sure look sharp though
    We have a 2015 RDX (bought sept 20214) and its been solid. We switched from premium fuel to regular a few years ago when prices peaked and haven't noticed much if any difference in power or fuel mileage. We've replaced one CV joint and done regular maintenance on it in 210,000km. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one if my wife ever strong arms me into a new vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

So I have a 2021 1.5T Zonda and yes I was super apprehensive about it. I did a lot of research before buying.

The engine is pretty solid. Its not a step back from the K series, its real step forward. I went from a 2002 CRV to this. So you can imagine how much of a change I noticed. When accelerating it has a pretty hard pull for a SUV given the fact its only a 1.5T and no premium fuel either. Engine technology has really changed.
    One should also take into account, Honda is a engine company. They have been making good small engines for decades. Their target demographic is day to day family. Given the pedigree, I am confident of Honda Engineers. Their forefathers were Samurai.

The issues that come up are more to do with not understanding how vehicles have changed with newer technology.
    For example, the dashboard lighting up like a Christmas Tree. The new vehicles pull more power from the battery, especially for the new start stop. On later models Honda then put a bigger battery in.
    Heat issues on cold days. The engine is a 1.5T and it has improved thermal efficiency. It does not drink much fuel when idling. So it will take longer to warm up. A software update took this on. I.e. the active panel in front of the vehicle now stay closed longer.

The oil dilution issue has been solved and there is a lot of misinformation on google. A lot of people are too thick to realize that this is a brand that is sold globally vs a domestic brand that can't even compete in Europe. So yes it will have some issues. Those issues get blown up in the Nort American Market because they want you to drive a shitty Jeep or Chevy.
    Go to the https://www.crvownersclub.com/ website. This will cover most of the issues and you can read up on them.
    The new Mk6 I think has ironed out a lot of the issues.

Op you have two choices if you want reliability.
    Toyota or Honda.
    I would lean towards the Honda. The Toyota is more of a hard ride, its harder on the body. The Honda is more comfortable especially as it is for your parents.
    The engine tech and the way the power is delivered is better on the Honda. Its smoother and has a harder pull when needed. Toyota screams high revs. That being said, the hybrid on Toyota is a option.
    The cruise control and self driving is more smoother on the Honda. Its a godsend on long drives and start stop traffic. I found Toyotas a bit twitchy.

That being said, if I had a family, kids. I would lean towards the Toyota. The practicality of the interior, mini compartments, 360 cameras and rear truck space is better on the Toyota. But as its just me. I need ride comfort and easy tech that works.

Some cons. The air con is not as strong, you have to blast it for longer to get the temperature down. The MK5 heating controls are partially electronic. I do not like. The MK6 has gone back to the knobs. Not as many interior options and gadgets as the Rav 4. I don't like the lack of interior compartments or the way it is organized.
    Mazda is in with a shout. But I don't like how the interior just looks pretty. I did not find it practical or ergonomically friendly.

How the hell are people mentioning the Nissan Rogue as a alternative..? Like wtf. Its old tech with junk French Renault reliability.

Honda is in F1.. nuff said.
    Go to the TNT Grocery store and look at what people drive.

OP get your parents to test drive the vehicle, but get them to pay attention to which one is more comfortable. This is one thing that will affect them more.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Well if you say that many words on a topic it must be true
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

We covered most of his points. In case you need a bearded mechanic's opinion.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-29-2024 at 04:29 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

Our Q5 has been dead reliable

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    The oil dilution issue has been solved and there is a lot of misinformation on google. A lot of people are too thick to realize that this is a brand that is sold globally vs a domestic brand that can't even compete in Europe. So yes it will have some issues. Those issues get blown up in the Nort American Market because they want you to drive a shitty Jeep or Chevy.
    Go to the https://www.crvownersclub.com/ website. This will cover most of the issues and you can read up on them.
    The new Mk6 I think has ironed out a lot of the issues.

Op you have two choices if you want reliability.
    Toyota or Honda.
    I would lean towards the Honda. The Toyota is more of a hard ride, its harder on the body. The Honda is more comfortable especially as it is for your parents.
    The engine tech and the way the power is delivered is better on the Honda. Its smoother and has a harder pull when needed. Toyota screams high revs. That being said, the hybrid on Toyota is a option.
    The cruise control and self driving is more smoother on the Honda. Its a godsend on long drives and start stop traffic. I found Toyotas a bit twitchy.

Honda is in F1.. nuff said.
    Thanks for the laughs
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 02-29-2024 at 04:52 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

dbl post

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Our Q5 has been dead reliable
    Thanks for the laughs

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Thanks for the laughs
    My sister drove her Q5 for 10 years with 0 major issue and just got another Q5. Miracle sometimes happens.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    My sister drove her Q5 for 10 years with 0 major issue and just got another Q5. Miracle sometimes happens.
    My brother had an A3 S-Line for almost a decade and it was relatively problem free to the point he replaced it with another VAG product. He was not nearly as lucky the second time lol.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    My brother had an A3 S-Line for almost a decade and it was relatively problem free to the point he replaced it with another VAG product. He was not nearly as lucky the second time lol.
    Given our family has gone thru a blown turbo A4 and a engine replacement on water pump issue on S4. Success rate is still 33%. haha.

Hope my sis's new Q5 being almost end of life cycle be good.

IMO for a SUV type use case, I also vouch that the VAG 2.0T - a more traditional (non-miller/atkinson) would be the minimum sized and proven motor that I would go with

I dunno, with all the issues with DI and fuel dilution, you'd think the impact would be even worse on a smaller displacement motor that is being wound out and higher pressure turbos.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    IMO for a SUV type use case, I also vouch that the VAG 2.0T - a more traditional (non-miller/atkinson) would be the minimum sized and proven motor that I would go with

I dunno, with all the issues with DI and fuel dilution, you'd think the impact would be even worse on a smaller displacement motor that is being wound out and higher pressure turbos.
    We had a 2015 Q5 a few years back and it was reliable up until 125,000 kms when we sold it. My concern is that with the parents wanting to keep this for a decade (last two cars are 11 and 13 years and counting) that I just don't have the confidence in a VAG product as it creeps towards 200,000 kms. I believe they are likely great engines in the beginning - could be wrong about long term but based on Audi's track record for a long term vehicle is seems a distant consideration.

My Ride
    V8s

I have a buddy with a q5 3.0t with ~120k on it, and it seems to be falling apart. Nothing particular wrong with the powertrain, but just problems all over the car. As would be expected for an off warranty German car haha.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    I have a buddy with a q5 3.0t with ~120k on it, and it seems to be falling apart. Nothing particular wrong with the powertrain, but just problems all over the car. As would be expected for an off warranty German car haha.
    The adaptive headlights on our Q5 started to go, thank god I was able to get them fixed (an actuator or something) for a few hundred bucks. A full new assembly was thousands

I guess the question really is... who can make a vehicle that will last >10 years?

Unfortunately it sometimes takes >10 years to determine that. The number of Honda's running a K or J series motor, Toyota's AZ and GR for example, take a run rate to really know and now is reflective in the pricing of their used market.

A low KM Rav4 GR v6 would be a unicorn today

My Ride
    an econo box

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    White GLE's or Beige '98 Camry's?

If you want to see CRV's go to Jollibee

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
    White GLE's or Beige '98 Camry's?

If you want to see CRV's go to Jollibee
    Dont forget white Teslas my man

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2