Quantcast
If you could move to America, where would you choose? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could move to America, where would you choose?

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Default If you could move to America, where would you choose?

Random question, but my wife works for an American company and her boss has mentioned how it would be easier if she lived in the good ol' US of A. I've talked with her about moving, but never really got serious about it. She works remote and cold probably move anywhere. We have a 4 and a 6 year old and are getting pretty sick of winter. I'm e.ployeed in the construction industry and think i would have a hard time earning what I am currently if we moved, but wife makes a healthy living. Also have a couple friends who moved to Texas a few years ago through work.

Where would you move and why if given the opportunity??
    Would you actually pull the trigger? Don't think I can....

My Ride
    *The First*

I've come close to moving to San Diego a couple times. In my experience (certainly limited) there's nowhere else in the US that I've visited where I would consider moving to.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

When you say you work in construction, do you mean that at a base level? Because good luck getting a work visa if you're a framer or something.

I could be making twice my wage in the US, but my wife would never be able to get a visa.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    When you say you work in construction, do you mean that at a base level? Because good luck getting a work visa if you're a framer or something.

I could be making twice my wage in the US, but my wife would never be able to get a visa.
    Not a construction worker, not sure what you would call me. A project manager or Superintendent? I manage the managers who manages the foreman. Lol, what's that called?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Not a construction worker, not sure what you would call me. A project manager or Superintendent? I manage the managers who manages the foreman. Lol, what's that called?
    CM = Construction Manager and that's a long long way from a regular wage-slave earning job.

My Ride
    NC1

The gf and I have had some talks about possibly moving to the states when my restaurant days are over. Apparently travel nursing is pretty good and she wants to give it a shot. We don’t plan on having kids and just be travelling dinks. Sounds somewhat appealing if I can generate enough income with investments as my skill set will only get me a Cinnabon job lol time flies so who knows … Saul good man.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

MB is Saul from BCS yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Austin would be pretty excellent.

50/50 phoenix and Connecticut would also be cool.

I also think I could like Tampa
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I like seasons, so somewhere far enough north for that. Western Colorado looks okay, but I haven't dug too deep into it. Mountains, lakes, rivers, seasons, and mostly not close to too many people. Up in the hills above Grand Junction Colorado might work.

Florida, fuck that, not for me

Although, San Deigo is probably the nicest coastal city Imo.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

If you could find a classic small town America location that’s not overran with opioids, that would be the move with big city remote work… somewhere where you could buy a place in cash and still have enough leftover to get your own company going, that’s probably the best way to get your own visa if you don’t fall into any of the categories for an employed worker

My Ride
    changes every year

I've been thinking about this alot lately. My IG algorithms are always showing me these really nice places in Texas suburbs for way cheaper than here even with the conversion.

That being said, as a pipe welder, Texas has alot of opportunity for a guy like me, however, getting sponsored is another story and seems very hard to get.

Short answer, yes, Texas lol

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I've come close to moving to San Diego a couple times. In my experience (certainly limited) there's nowhere else in the US that I've visited where I would consider moving to.
    That'd be my first pick, or the surrounding towns like Carlsbad, San Marcos...
    We have family there so visit often. Really great place. Weather is pretty consistent, the odd heat wave.

My Ride
    V8s

I'm still considering a move to the states, and as of right now, NC (Raleigh, specifically) is near the top of the list. We were originally thinking Texas was a top contender (esp Austin), but looked into it more and Austin is basically San Francisco now, so count me out. Also, given that gun violence/violent crime is a consideration for us (more so my wife), that rules out a lot of major cities.

Raleigh has an excellent climate, not really in tornado alley, a short-ish drive to the coast, super low crime. And anecdotally, I know a few people who have lived there or elsewhere nearby in the research triangle, and they absolutely loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    I've been thinking about this alot lately. My IG algorithms are always showing me these really nice places in Texas suburbs for way cheaper than here even with the conversion.
    Prop taxes are enormous in TX, the savings are often not as good as they seem. You still get more for your $ there, IMO, but it's not crazy like it would appear when you just look at house price.
    Last edited by bjstare; 03-01-2024 at 08:30 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have heard good things about NC. Never been.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    I'm still considering a move to the states, and as of right now, NC (Raleigh, specifically) is near the top of the list. We were originally thinking Texas was a top contender (esp Austin), but looked into it more and Austin is basically San Francisco now, so count me out. Also, given that gun violence/violent crime is a consideration for us (more so my wife), that rules out a lot of major cities.

Raleigh has an excellent climate, not really in tornado alley, a short-ish drive to the coast, super low crime. And anecdotally, I know a few people who have lived there or elsewhere nearby in the research triangle, and they absolutely loved it.

Prop taxes are enormous in TX, the savings are often not as good as they seem. You still get more for your $ there, IMO, but it's not crazy like it would appear when you just look at house price.
    A close friend of mine is from Texas(Mexican american) and has told me that some places taxes are pretty high but not everywhere.

He lives in calgary now because his wife lives here but has said he wouldn't move back there. For me, it's more about the weather than anything. Fuck I hate it here lol

My Ride
    B8 S4

I live in Florida now (near Cocoa Beach) and it’s taken/still taking adjustments.

“Lifestyle” wise, snowboarding was a huge part of my life so reducing the amount of ride time was a bit adjustment for me but it’s a quick flight to SLC area (I prefer the small crowds though so miss places like Fernie, Whitefish, etc). Surfing could fill that void a bit too but not the same…

Climate wise, the humidity is intense but it’s nice having sun for most of the year and winter short days aren’t as drastic (although summer lingering sunsets are missed). One thing I never expected to miss was elevation change (even when not related to snowboarding).

Money goes about the same distance here vs AB - a little further due to some lesser taxes I guess (but have other taxes due to non permanent residency limitations). Economy is strong in the area due to the Space industry growth. It’s pretty crazy how used to the weekly launches we see now.

Honestly I’d prefer to live further North in Carolinas (like others mentioned) or Tennessee.

Regarding visas - Depending what visa is applied/granted to the primary (mine is an E2), there are SPOUSE work visas available. It took my wife about 9 months during Covid (3-6 mos normally) to get her application processed, but there are no restrictions for her. She is killing it at her work so they are actually sponsoring her for permanent residency.
    Last edited by TheGeneral; 03-01-2024 at 09:00 AM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Lots of places I’d like to live in the US but less my wife likes. Her family moved to Texas for a while, I don’t think she likes it there. I’ve always liked the idea of Kansas personally, probably near Witchita. She actually had a job offer to move to New York for $300k usd but we figured we would be more poor in New York on a single $300k income than we are here.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    A close friend of mine is from Texas(Mexican american) and has told me that some places taxes are pretty high but not everywhere.

He lives in calgary now because his wife lives here but has said he wouldn't move back there. For me, it's more about the weather than anything. Fuck I hate it here lol
    I'm surprised that as a pipe welder you would want to live in a place that gets over 35°c for two months of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Easy answer for me: Alpharetta, Georgia. 45 min to Kennesaw, 40 min to Atlanta, 20 min to Tucker. I've worked out of Alpharetta and absolutely loved it there.

Used to work out of Houston too and although I miss the urban sprawl, 20+ lane highways and excessive fast drivers, was ok if I was to move to Katy or Cypress but def nothing innercity or even downtown. Downtown is deader than Calgary's downtown. Great strip joints though. Big John's Ice House was a nice place to get wasted with the local trash seriously.

But yeah, Alpharetta for sure.
    Last edited by BokCh0y; 03-01-2024 at 09:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Having limited experience traveling in the states and only going off what the social medias and friends tell me I think I would like North Carolina the best, maybe even Utah. We like having seasons and Utah seems to fit that bill, and North Carolina has them but a bit more muted. My pastey white ass couldn't do any of the southern states.

I also know that with my career I am pretty limited on where I could go so the wife would be the bread winner and I'd have to do only fans or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast