Quantcast
If you could move to America, where would you choose? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could move to America, where would you choose?

Massachusetts. High tax for the USA but small, forested, near ocean, still have seasons but doesn't get bitterly cold like here, humid which I like because I'm old.

Lot of IT remote jobs are disappearing or they're becoming a lot more restrictive - have to be in USA time zones or even same time zone as company, you have to work the same hours as they do (and they check). Also you have to be able to physically attend meetings.
    Last edited by suntan; 03-01-2024 at 09:46 AM.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm surprised that as a pipe welder you would want to live in a place that gets over 35°c for two months of the year.
    Honestly I'll take +35 all day everyday. I hate every season except summer lol ya its hot as fuck, but at least it's not cold as fuck.

I've always been able to take the heat, but im a bit of a bitch in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Having limited experience traveling in the states and only going off what the social medias and friends tell me I think I would like North Carolina the best, maybe even Utah. We like having seasons and Utah seems to fit that bill, and North Carolina has them but a bit more muted. My pastey white ass couldn't do any of the southern states.

I also know that with my career I am pretty limited on where I could go so the wife would be the bread winner and I'd have to do only fans or something.
    I'm sure that's an untapped market

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    Honestly I'll take +35 all day everyday. I hate every season except summer lol ya its hot as fuck, but at least it's not cold as fuck.

I've always been able to take the heat, but im a bit of a bitch in the winter.
    You get used to warmth. My parents keep the AC at 28C and think that's cold.

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    A close friend of mine is from Texas(Mexican american) and has told me that some places taxes are pretty high but not everywhere.

He lives in calgary now because his wife lives here but has said he wouldn't move back there. For me, it's more about the weather than anything. Fuck I hate it here lol
    Obviously the nicer the community, the higher the taxes, but generally property taxes there are yeah high as fuck to be honest. I assume you'd prolly like to be in a house say around $500k USD? Easily it'll be like $11k a year whereas if you're in a shitty area, say closer to innercity, it'd still be easily $6k a year. Just an estimate but we looked into this when we were going to move to Houston and live on the Katy/West Houston end. Cypress is a nice place to live too, but I like the Katy end more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

No income tax in Texas though.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Interesting thread...
    Miami comes to mind. Weather, cars Sunshine... maybe I played too much GTA and listened to 80s music.

Name:  OIG4.2SQRmT9bahfv5NV.jpeg
Views: 263
Size:  63.1 KB

Older eastern states come to mind, established neighborhoods, greenery etc.

Or somewhere west like San Diego.
    Last edited by tonytiger55; 03-01-2024 at 10:13 AM.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Anywhere just west of I-95 between Raleigh, NC and Augusta, GA.

My Ride
    Lariat

Everytime I head to my Dad's in Scottsdale I don't want to leave. Never been in the summer though, so that would be a deal breaker for me.

Also SLC area would be cool because its similar to Calgary, close to mountains etc.
    Name:  IMG_0483.jpeg
Views: 222
Size:  403.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4349.jpeg
Views: 218
Size:  255.4 KB
    Last edited by asp integra; 03-01-2024 at 12:51 PM.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    If you could find a classic small town America location that’s not overran with opioids, that would be the move with big city remote work… somewhere where you could buy a place in cash and still have enough leftover to get your own company going, that’s probably the best way to get your own visa if you don’t fall into any of the categories for an employed worker
    I was going to say, I could buy myself a job if I needed to.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea you need somewhere else to go from Scottsdale in the summer.

Scottsdale Denver could be a good pairing.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I love Bozeman and Denver to be honest.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    Easy answer for me: Alpharetta, Georgia. 45 min to Kennesaw, 40 min to Atlanta, 20 min to Tucker. I've worked out of Alpharetta and absolutely loved it there.

Used to work out of Houston too and although I miss the urban sprawl, 20+ lane highways and excessive fast drivers, was ok if I was to move to Katy or Cypress but def nothing innercity or even downtown. Downtown is deader than Calgary's downtown. Great strip joints though. Big John's Ice House was a nice place to get wasted with the local trash seriously.

But yeah, Alpharetta for sure.
    One friend lives out bu Katy, other lives not too far from the ice house....spent a bit of time there during last years world series. Also have friends who take their kid down to Georgia somewhere for a few months to attend dirt bike camp. It looks beautiful. Also, uncle spends a bunch of time in Savanah. I'll look I to that a bit more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    I'm still considering a move to the states, and as of right now, NC (Raleigh, specifically) is near the top of the list. We were originally thinking Texas was a top contender (esp Austin), but looked into it more and Austin is basically San Francisco now, so count me out. Also, given that gun violence/violent crime is a consideration for us (more so my wife), that rules out a lot of major cities.

Raleigh has an excellent climate, not really in tornado alley, a short-ish drive to the coast, super low crime. And anecdotally, I know a few people who have lived there or elsewhere nearby in the research triangle, and they absolutely loved it.

Prop taxes are enormous in TX, the savings are often not as good as they seem. You still get more for your $ there, IMO, but it's not crazy like it would appear when you just look at house price.
    Also need to look at NC/SC a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Having limited experience traveling in the states and only going off what the social medias and friends tell me I think I would like North Carolina the best, maybe even Utah. We like having seasons and Utah seems to fit that bill, and North Carolina has them but a bit more muted. My pastey white ass couldn't do any of the southern states.

I also know that with my career I am pretty limited on where I could go so the wife would be the bread winner and I'd have to do only fans or something.
    I've been looking for a reason to get some of that sweet OF money. This could be the push I need. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    One friend lives out bu Katy, other lives not too far from the ice house....spent a bit of time there during last years world series. Also have friends who take their kid down to Georgia somewhere for a few months to attend dirt bike camp. It looks beautiful. Also, uncle spends a bunch of time in Savanah. I'll look I to that a bit more.

- - - Updated - - -

Also need to look at NC/SC a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been looking for a reason to get some of that sweet OF money. This could be the push I need. Lol
    Georgia is real nice, but the smaller cities outside of Atlanta is where things are much nicer. Alpharetta in particular is a very very nice little city with very minimal crime and low unemployment and is one of the most affluent cities in Georgia. Check out the housing there - you rarely see of the hood shit you see in some other cities. Seriously if you can afford it out there, it's a real hidden gem. Weather wise, it's like 33c in the summer from July to August an doesn't have that Houston level humidity, very similar to Calgary summers temperature wise but a little hotter during summer. Minimal cold weather and snow. I seriously love it there clearly hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    NC1

Recreational marijuana and a vibrant Chinatown with lots of boba options are also two important considerations (for the gf) lol

Had a friend graduate mount olive college and she always raved about the Raleigh nc area

- - - Updated - - -

In the end im probably too scaredy cat to move anywhere lol probably will travel around and just check back in every 6 months or whatever lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    In the end im probably too scaredy cat to move anywhere lol probably will travel around and just check back in every 6 months or whatever lol
    This is me too. If we didn't have kids, it might be diferent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I'm surprised that as a pipe welder you would want to live in a place that gets over 35°c for two months of the year.
    Its Texas, he'll still be in flip-flops and a t-shirt in the ditch.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Texas, Colorado, Florida, or Nashville for me.

I loved California and New York before but they're woke and broke now.

My Ride
    V8s

Curious why Nashville over elsewhere in TN? I haven't been, but it strikes me as a great place to visit, yet awful place to live.

My Ride
    *The First*

I recently found Orlando to be so insanely expensive that I assume the poor people have literally been forced to leave. I barely saw any black people either. It was weird.

The price tags at grocery stores were about 5% less than here, or the same price. But those price tags are in USD. Oh and every drive in a vehicle is another $3-$8 in toll roads.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast