Quantcast
Scam call almost got me - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scam call almost got me

My Ride
    changes every year

Wasnt a call but a scam trying to sell my mercedes. Guy asked when he could come see it then asked about the VBR....never heard of it.

Sent me a link to do this vbr....didn't open it, he kept trying to get me to do it and said he'll pay me back when he buys the car lol

Anyone ever seen this?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

You must be living under a rock, fake report scams for used cars have been around for years and very common in Alberta.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You must be living under a rock, fake report scams for used cars have been around for years and very common in Alberta.
    I havent sold a car for quite a while, never heard of this. Edit: I've seen all kinds of scams like these but never heard of a vbr

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just got a call today from "Rogers" that I went fairly deep down the hole on before the red flags sort of accumulated to the point of being hard to ignore, so I thought I'd share the experience.

Looking back, the first red flag which I ignored was when they said that in order to determine the amount of my discount, they wanted to know how much I was paying on my monthly plan. I gave them that, they gave me like 25% off.

Then they drop that I can upgrade my phone (which I paid off about a year ago and am technically due for an upgrade) and gave me a couple options. I choose the S24+ and they say it's an extra $5 a month (shockingly low and that's when my ears perked up a little) for 2 years.

My spider tingle really started to go off when they started asking me basic information that I felt they should already have like how to spell my name and my email. I started misspelling my name to see if they catch on (which they didn't) and when I started asking them to confirm the information they have for me, they started saying that a supervisor will send a confirmation email with his ID and whatnot (but still didn't verify an email address).

Eventually, I got off the phone with them, called Rogers to confirm if it was real or not - it wasn't. Normally, I'd say I'm fairly on-the-ball about scam calls and I'm a little ashamed to say I got about as far as I did, but it is what it is and thought I'd give everyone a cautionary reminder.
    Yeah be careful with those calls. What happens is that they now impersonate you; do a SIM card swap; and your TFA is now with them while your SIM is on SOS mode.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2