Quantcast
Windshield Insurance Claim - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windshield Insurance Claim

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Default Windshield Insurance Claim

2020 RDX, fancy windshield with all the fancy safety shit and cameras behind it. Anyways its jacked up, bigtime. Over 100k km’s of berta driving so its well past its expiry date.

So I start the claim process thinking this will be easy as I last did a windshield replacement like 3.5 years ago, with an OEM windshield, with no issues at all. Side note: I dropped the 5 years full vehicle replacement value coverage just over a year ago cause carrying that on a 4+ year old vehicle is dumb and expensive. Anyways I start this claim and the claims department says I lost my ability to get OEM glass when I dropped the full vehicle replacement coverage (despite them never telling me this at the time). Claims department is cock blocking me, I have no idea if aftermarket glass is buried in policy paperwork somewhere, but I expect not.

So I call the policy department and they tell me that the full vehicle replacement coverage has nothing to do with glass coverage or specifying something other then OEM glass. Nothing in their glass coverage policy says anything about OEM vs aftermarket glass. Guy puts me on hold to ‘sort it out’ and comes back 5 minutes later and shocker… the 5 year vehicle replacement is magically now tied to aftermarket glass, he’s apologetic, but now someone has cock blocked him. He now says that TD offers no specific policies or coverage that would allow you to get OEM glass in any claims.

Dealer (and Honda America) both stating that OEM glass should be used, the aftermarket glass messes up the camera’s, laser beams, etc. Basically people (kids) will die or something. Whatever, I mostly just don’t want jacked up China glass and I pay for glass coverage so fuck the insurance company.

Any suggestions on how to get this covered?

Or does anyone’s insurance company cover OEM windshields? Have you gotten a claim covered with OEM glass used?

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

interested as I believe i have same coverage through TD.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

99% of the vehicles on the road don't have "glass" coverage in the sense that common rock chips & cracks on the windshield aren't covered. With that said, if you're one of the few that doesn't have the SEF 13D - Limited Glass endorsement on your policy, OEM anything is only available if you still have the SEF 18 - 5 year replacement endorsement, which you said you dropped (for good reason). The cost of A) having glass and B) keeping the SEF 18 for all 5 years instead of the 43R for the first 2.5 years is, for the most part, a giant waste of money. What you SHOULD be able to do is have TD cover up to whatever the normal glass is and then you kick in the extra for OEM.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The non-oem will need to come from a shop that's certified to do all the camera laser integration and calibration too. I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

By no means am I looking down my nose at this very nice vehicle, but how the fuck fancy can all this electronics bullshit be in an Acura RDX?
    Again, that's a very nice vehicle, but it's not an S-Class with more tech than a modern rocket missile. I don't see why this should be such an issue. Is an RDX known for being extremely "techy"?
    The other thing I'll say about aftermarket glass is that the Lexus dealer I used to go to in Edmonton
    a.) Sub'd out their glass installs to a glass shop and
    b.) Installed aftermarket glass.
    This was in an RX350 which is comparable (I think) to an RDX.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    By no means am I looking down my nose at this very nice vehicle, but how the fuck fancy can all this electronics bullshit be in an Acura RDX?
    Again, that's a very nice vehicle, but it's not an S-Class with more tech than a modern rocket missile. I don't see why this should be such an issue. Is an RDX known for being extremely "techy"?
    The other thing I'll say about aftermarket glass is that the Lexus dealer I used to go to in Edmonton
    This is going to have to come to head here soon enough. Every vehicle and their dog has cameras, huds, and 12 sensors in the windshield now.

The days of $100 windshields are gone
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    99% of the vehicles on the road don't have "glass" coverage in the sense that common rock chips & cracks on the windshield aren't covered. With that said, if you're one of the few that doesn't have the SEF 13D - Limited Glass endorsement on your policy, OEM anything is only available if you still have the SEF 18 - 5 year replacement endorsement, which you said you dropped (for good reason). The cost of A) having glass and B) keeping the SEF 18 for all 5 years instead of the 43R for the first 2.5 years is, for the most part, a giant waste of money. What you SHOULD be able to do is have TD cover up to whatever the normal glass is and then you kick in the extra for OEM.
    What if hypothetically there’s no aftermarket glass available? Then the loophole would work right? I think my car with cameras, hud, antenna, and heater is oem only.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Even my mid-level pickup from 4 years ago has a camera and needs specific glass for it. Cal-Alta had no issues replacing that.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

This is going to have to come to head here soon enough. Every vehicle and their dog has cameras, huds, and 12 sensors in the windshield now.

Certainly, and I'm not looking for $100 glass, but all the glass companies have caught up to all this tech and I wouldn't hesitate to put "aftermarket" in.
    Vehicle makers aren't glass companies. They've already sub'd it out to someone for the "OEM glass".

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    What if hypothetically there’s no aftermarket glass available? Then the loophole would work right? I think my car with cameras, hud, antenna, and heater is oem only.
    When I was shopping for Car Insurance last year, I was told the same. If no aftermarket is available then they will go to OEM.
    However I didn't go with the glass coverage from the insurance company because Allstate wouldn't lower my Deductible (5K) because of the cost of the vehicle.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Just like every other part on the car, if there's no aftermarket option available then the insurer pays for OEM, happens all the time regardless of whether or not the SEF-18 is or is not on the policy.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Go to a car glass shop and talk to a experienced guy.
    They can replace the windscreen and re-attach the camera. But when they do it, they dont turn the car on. So the camera does not know.
    If the car is turned on, then it requires recalibration and OEM glass(whatever that is).
    Most of the shops don't even have the re-calibration equipment anyway. They just say they do.
    All they are doing is replacing the glass & not turning the car on & 'adding' re-calibration to the invoice.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    This is exactly how they explained it to me only now, as I'm making a claim. OEM windshield is $680 extra over and above an aftermarket windshield. So $250 deductible + $680 extra for OEM windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'm mostly being facetious. I thought the 'think of the children' gave it away lol. It ain't anything special... certainly not savage.

Kinda just annoyed that insurance companies weasel there way out of literally anything if they can. And then they change your coverage details but don't explain the implications. And they write you a glass policy that says nothing about aftermarket vs oem glass, so technically how do they weasel out of it. And the dealer says aftermarket glass can potentially botch your safety equipment (likely not a huge deal).

But seems to be a large gap in coverage here.

I will be going aftermarket, hope I dont DIE!

Yea seems like a significant liability issue. I found some news articles where shitty aftermarket glass caused issues with safety equipment malfunctioning. How insurance companies just ignore this in their own policies seems stupid.

Also found people in Ontario getting their insurance company to cover full costs for OEM windshield but only after 2 failed attempts at aftermarket glass (ie: their lane keep assist or other safety shit won't work with aftermarket windshields). And others getting OEM windshields if aftermarket isn't an option.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post

Yea seems like a significant liability issue. I found some news articles where shitty aftermarket glass caused issues with safety equipment malfunctioning. How insurance companies just ignore this in their own policies seems stupid.
    I dunno, seems pretty on-brand for insurance companies to do something like this IMO.

My Ride
    Skateboard

I have a 2020 RDX A-Spec and replaced my windshield with an aftermarket one made by Fuyau Glass (Same company as the one featured in the Netflix special called American Factory) and have no issues with any sensors.

Paid $370 in Janu 2023 and the guy came to my garage to do the work

Karl 587-973-0709

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    I'm mostly being facetious. I thought the 'think of the children' gave it away lol. It ain't anything special... certainly not savage.

I know and I'm smellin what your steppin in. You're right to be angry. I would, too.
    Maybe don't go to Crystal Glass if you can avoid it, because their commercials are the fear-mongeriest.

Be Poor, drive a 2004 Corolla

My Ride

I'm not sure how much of a difference OEM makes anyway, the wife's 2020 MDX has had waves in the windshield right from the factory. It finally got enough chips and a crack in it this winter that it'll need replacing here shortly so I guess I'll find out, but it can't be any worse than what's in it already.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I dunno. I find every windshield after the first one breaks much quicker for some reason. My theory is they aren’t mounted the same.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Stupid question: what does windshield/glass insurance cover anyway. When can you claim it and and does it affect your premium?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast