Quantcast
Another what vehicle thread.. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another what vehicle thread..

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by corsvette View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My sister bought an Outlander PHEV as she couldn’t wait the two years for a Rav Prime. Had it over a year now and she’s really happy with it. Spends next to nothing on fuel commuting daily. Only downside to the Mitsu is it doesn’t go EV when it’s -20 and left outside. She has heated underground parking so that really hasn’t been an issue anyway. Way nicer inside than any Toyota imo.
    Doesn't go EV in -20c. Doesn't even start in -40c.
    https://www.outlanderforums.com/thre...me-winter.887/

And if battery is drained, people are getting 11-12l/100km with best case around 9. That's worst than X3 M40i with Stage 2.

So PHEV only beats Hybrid if your EV mileage is cover more than 50% of usage and your PHEV actually outfitted with heat pump to reduce battery draw in winter for heating.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-22-2024 at 03:14 PM.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Doesn't go EV in -20c. Doesn't even start in -40c.
    https://www.outlanderforums.com/thre...me-winter.887/

And if battery is drained, people are getting 11-12l/100km with best case around 9. That's worst than X3 M40i with Stage 2.

So PHEV only beats Hybrid if your EV mileage is cover more than 50% of usage and your PHEV actually outfitted with heat pump to reduce battery draw in winter for heating.
    IIRC only the outlander has that problem.

My parents have a hybrid RX and a PHEV S90. And for city commute, the S90 wins every time. they would gas it like once every month or so. EV range is around 35k which for city driving is not bad. Dont need a level 2 charger. A full charge takes about 6 hours which is fine overnight.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Yeah it’s specifically a Mitsubishi thing they couldn’t start in the cold and iirc there was some people trying to start a lawsuit over it last winter but no idea if it went anywhere.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post
    tuned x5 M ... crushes all!
    The only thing this is going to crush is his wallet.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    IIRC only the outlander has that problem.

My parents have a hybrid RX and a PHEV S90. And for city commute, the S90 wins every time. they would gas it like once every month or so. EV range is around 35k which for city driving is not bad. Dont need a level 2 charger. A full charge takes about 6 hours which is fine overnight.
    Around the world trip range. Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Having rented a Pacifica PHEV in Florida last month, I’m even more sold on phevs. No range anxiety, and only spent $5 on gas over 2 days zipping between Orlando and Cape/Port Canaveral. Our hotel as well as Kennedy space center had free charging. Only used gas between 2 cities because electric range maxed out at 32 miles while distance between the 2 was 46. For a city car, 50km a day range would be mostly electric driven.

Really hope sienna comes out with a prime version. When we’re ready to downsize, rav4 prime is the way to go. 5s 0-60 is a huge bonus too.
    I've posted before about my father's Pacifica Hybrid/PHEV we bought him a couple years ago. He passed away about a week and a half ago, so it's now mine, and I'm going to keep it. Not just for the memories, but that it's also a pretty decent vehicle for a Chrysler made product. I picked it originally because of the rear door shape/height/etc, it just worked the best for using metal ramps to load his mobility scooters. We had not one single issue with it so far, it's only got 20k km on it though, and 2/3 of that is highway KMs which use up the battery very quickly. That's the only thing I dislike, I wish there was a way to force it to run on fuel/engine only, so you could "save" your battery charge for when you get to the destination city.

For in city stuff, even in the winter with all the lights and heater going, I could get close to 50km, sometimes even more, frequently 55 or more in spring when you don't need air or heat. Plenty of distance for a smaller city, and even Calgary you could use it to commute on electric power only unless you live across 22x and work at the airport or some such, and even then...

Only ever have used the standard wall plug to charge it in his garage, usually 10 hours overnight would take it from 10/15% to max charge. Very handy and cheap to run as a grocery getter.

This said, if a PHEV Sienna with AWD comes out, I'd sell this van and get that one, as I've found vans to be a lot more useful that I'd thought they'd be. Getting old, I like a minivan, wtf.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    This said, if a PHEV Sienna with AWD comes out, I'd sell this van and get that one, as I've found vans to be a lot more useful that I'd thought they'd be. Getting old, I like a minivan, wtf.
    Beyond is trading scissor doors with sliding doors. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Beyond is trading scissor doors with sliding doors. lol
    Hah, the plan is to have both. Stay tuned.

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll ask here.

Any Beyonders have experience or info regarding the BMW i8? Recent opportunity has sort of fallen into my lap, and can likely scoop a really low km one (22k km) for a very, very attractive price. Are these things a big pile of trouble? I'm just looking for something...sort of oddball to take to car meets and talk shit up with good folks. The missus has a car that always gets attention (and so does she) with the Lexus LC, but I want something for myself that's an interesting car. And not interesting in the fashion of "eff me, this thing is a hangar queen and needs constant repairs and fiddling with to keep on the road".

Tell me I'm being daft for even considering buying this thing...

My Ride
    *The First*

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll ask here.

Any Beyonders have experience or info regarding the BMW i8? Recent opportunity has sort of fallen into my lap, and can likely scoop a really low km one (22k km) for a very, very attractive price. Are these things a big pile of trouble? I'm just looking for something...sort of oddball to take to car meets and talk shit up with good folks. The missus has a car that always gets attention (and so does she) with the Lexus LC, but I want something for myself that's an interesting car. And not interesting in the fashion of "eff me, this thing is a hangar queen and needs constant repairs and fiddling with to keep on the road".

Tell me I'm being daft for even considering buying this thing...
    Run, don't walk. My friend had one that required $60k in warranty work after completely cooking its own entire system. Was in the shop for MONTHS with massacred misdiagnosis and shenanigans.
    Almost zero BMW people have the training to work on them and those that do have zero experience because they are extremely rare.
    They are the reliability of BMW to the 4th power. Think about that. (A number less than 1.0 quaded is not a good number).
    Plus, they are a very cramped cabin if you are taller than 5'-9"

Edit - let me go on.
    This is a guy who builds racing engines for $1.2MM USD Porsches. His V12 Ferrari was trouble-free compared to the BMW and it had bent valves from a botched timing belt replacement. The dealer put the standard BMW oil weight into it and it was unusable. If your farts don't smell like cinnamon buns and German Black Forest Cake, it will throw codes that will put you into limp mode.
    The front fascia in carbon fiber disintegrates into pitted oblivion from road film in Vancouver.
    10 years from now it will be regarded as less favourable than a Cadillac Cimarron.
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 06-01-2024 at 12:30 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Plus even when it’s not broken it’s not a great car aside from as a garage queen to look at.

It does look cool. Maybe buy a poster of one instead
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The i8 is the ultimate bmw to borrow and drive around in. There’s a reason they pop up cheap for what it is.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Well it's unanimous then.

Too bad, it looks great, and a brief drive in it I found to be fun too.

More and more things that seem fun these days are fucked.

Well it's unanimous then.

Too bad, it looks great, and a brief drive in it I found to be fun too.

More and more things that seem fun these days are fucked.
    LS swap

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by darthVWader View Post
    LS swap
    Now there’s an idea!
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2