Quantcast
2017 Honda Ridgeline Transmission Failure at 144K - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 2017 Honda Ridgeline Transmission Failure at 144K

Default 2017 Honda Ridgeline Transmission Failure at 144K

Hey all,

A good buddy of mine has had this Ridgeline since brand new and regular maintenance done on it but the transmission crapped out at 144K. Other than this issue it has been solid so figuring he is going to get it done and keep driving it with the cost of new vehicles these days. Does anyone with knowledge of these things have any connects on a quality used or rebuilt transmissions for this thing, or any advice on what to watch out for? I have been away from the dealerships for a long time now and all my people have moved on so just trying to help him avoid getting taken for a ride...

Cheers!

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Curious, did he tow with it? Flush the fluids regularly? That's quite early for a modern transmission.

For all my transmission issues i recommend Dominion Transmission near Chinook. My RL has been there for a shift solenoid before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Curious, did he tow with it? Flush the fluids regularly? That's quite early for a modern transmission.

For all my transmission issues i recommend Dominion Transmission near Chinook. My RL has been there for a shift solenoid before.
    That's it... No towing at all and regular maintenance at the dealer. Seems super early to me too. Dude is a teacher and not using it like a truck except to haul his gear to go bird hunting during the season.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Try car-part.com for used transmissions

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

After reading this post i've ordered a trans fluid and filter kit for my GMC.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

Quote Originally Posted by SJW View Post
    After reading this post i've ordered a trans fluid and filter kit for my GMC.
    Always a good idea... Fluid and filters are cheap compared to transmissions.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    That's it... No towing at all and regular maintenance at the dealer. Seems super early to me too. Dude is a teacher and not using it like a truck except to haul his gear to go bird hunting during the season.
    That generation of Honda 6-speed in the Ridgeline/Pilot is well known for dying early under normal driving conditions, unfortunately. Honda USA extended the warranty on the torque converter (not the trans itself) to 8yr/150k miles, I'm not sure if Honda Canada did the same but may be worth looking into if he's getting DTC P0741. Service Bulletin 23-078.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

If he has full, and I mean full service history with a dealer he can try calling customer service.

I don’t think dealerships drain and fill transmissions and their “lifetime” fluid…..

I do perform a drain and fill on my transmissions every six years or 100 k km.

My Ride
    E46

Nothing lasts forever. Sometimes, things just break.

I have a strong dislike for used drivetrain components. You have no idea what you are buying. You don't know the service history or how it has been treated. The vehicle that it came out of is in a junk yard for a reason. And they only come with a sorta warranty.

Transmission rebuild shops are like engine machine shops, they are slowly disappearing. Finding competent transmission technicians is extremely hard. This is not 1980 anymore, modern day transmissions require a bunch of model specific special tools to correctly assemble them. The last time I sent a transmission out to a rebuild shop, I got a different transmission back. Then over the course of a year it failed 3 times. We lost that customer because of it.

A factory remanufactured one from the dealership is the way to go. Honda/Honda Canada chooses a rebuilding company to remanufacture whatever components for them. This company is properly equipped and educated to build that transmission. If the transmission is installed by the dealership or an aftermarket repair shop, with the correct fluid and a cooler flush or replacement on the invoice, it will have something like a 3 year 60 000km warranty that covers the transmission and the labor.

HEy is talking with Honda Canada now hoping they might step up and help... If that doesn't work out then buying a remanufactured from Honda is probably the route he will go. Cheers!