Quantcast
Sound Quality Questions for Car CD Recievers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Sound Quality Questions for Car CD Recievers

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Default Sound Quality Questions for Car CD Recievers

If I were to look for high SQ from a CD reciever for my car, what brand might I buy?

Alpine? Clarion? Panasonic? Kenwood? Rockford?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Peter

My Ride
    a nice pair of and1's

i think clarion has a high end deck that uses hand picked components, supposed to be nice.... i have a pioneer premier, i really like it...

My Ride
    MDX

ALPINE only!!!! Even their low end recievers sound better for SQ.
    If you go up into their higher end stuff(non amplified) there isn't much that can beat them except maybe denon.

My Ride
    335i

Alpine is supposed to be one of the highest end decks. Look to Eclipse too if you want superior quality.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Unless you're an audiophile with super sensitive ears sitting at home, SQ will sound pretty much the same on most auto CD decks, be it mid range priced decks or super bling bling high end decks. What makes the difference is the Amps, and the Speakers and subs. Some decks do have nice features such as auto acoustics balancing crap, where it plays tones and detects how it sounds in your car, then digitally modifying the signal to get as close to a reference sound as possible.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Alpine eh... ok I will check it out!

Thanks guys, I will get back to you all in a bit!

Peter

My Ride
    00 GSX-R 600

Default SQ decks

yeah... all the decks listed are pretty damn good... alpine of the list would be the best for SQ IMO...

BUT!... if you are serious... and have the dough to drop... you find your local Nakamichi or McIntosh dealer and you tell them that you want to kick some ass and take some names at SQ competitions. They will point you to their display boards and proceed to blow your mind.

me personally... ford stock will do... with *slight* modifications... mmmmm... digital...
    00 GSX-R 600
    It ain't stock.

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Thanks for the help!!

Digital you say? What do you have done to your Ford Ranger man?

Cheers!

Peter

My Ride
    00 GSX-R 600

getting done this winter... if I can hunt down someone who knows how to do it...

top secret... but I sure won't have much room left in that poor little truck of mine
    00 GSX-R 600
    It ain't stock.

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

SWEEEEEEEEET

My Ride
    00 GSX-R 600

oh one other peice I forgot to mention is the Alpine F-1 status... check it out at www.alpine1.com

insane piece of work... beautiful though

oh and the clarion Joyride system is supposedly another really nice peice of work
    00 GSX-R 600
    It ain't stock.

i think there's a big difference in deck quality, testing this out, i had an all eclipse system besides the deck, so nothing was changed besides the deck .. . at first i was running the clarion mp3 deck, then i switched in the clarion touchscreen dvd . . . big time difference in SQ, i think the reason is taht the mp3 deck didn't have the 24bit dac converter or whatever because the preouts weren't too big of a differnece . . . just my two cents

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

mp3 quality's a bit misleading. I had some terrible bass response with some of my mp3 tracks. Once I popped in the original CD, the quality issue was gone. So the compression DID take some of the sound away, mostly in the low bass range where normal speakers doesn't reproduce the sound.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

mp3 quality's a bit misleading. I had some terrible bass response with some of my mp3 tracks. Once I popped in the original CD, the quality issue was gone. So the compression DID take some of the sound away, mostly in the low bass range where normal speakers doesn't reproduce the sound.
    mp3's sound like crap with my alpine deck. just buy the CD if you really like the artist.

just my 2 cents.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by rage2
    Unless you're an audiophile with super sensitive ears sitting at home, SQ will sound pretty much the same on most auto CD decks, be it mid range priced decks or super bling bling high end decks. What makes the difference is the Amps, and the Speakers and subs. Some decks do have nice features such as auto acoustics balancing crap, where it plays tones and detects how it sounds in your car, then digitally modifying the signal to get as close to a reference sound as possible.
    dead on!

your system is only as good as its worst component, and usually, thats the speakers, followed by the amp...then lastly the receiver.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I like MP3's for thier versatility, but I found the problem rage2 described to be very common, with the sub a roaring, bass wasn't very crisp, but with a store bought CD, it was clear!

BUT! Then Jeff ripped the most excellent CD in the best quality I have heard on an MP3, and it was storebought CD quality and sounded amazing. It comes down to the quality of which the recorded medium is in.

For me, I have noticed a deck is a deck, its the speakers and amp that make the word go round...
    Travel