Quantcast
Lexus LF-C concept for next IS platform - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Lexus LF-C concept for next IS platform

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Default Lexus LF-C concept for next IS platform

The LF-C concept is powered by a high-output, front-mounted V8 engine...
    * delivering robust power to the rear wheels...
    * via a six-speed sequential automatic transmission.
    It sits on a low-slung chassis that is significantly longer, lower and wider than the current IS and BMW 3-series,...offering extraordinary interior accommodations for four adult passengers.

The fully independent suspension features double wishbones front and rear with massive Brembo disc brakes.

Aluminum alloy wheels...
    * 20-by-nine in the front...
    * and 21-by-10.5 in the rear...
    * are mounted to Dunlop...ZR-rated...Sport 9000 tires

The four-position fully retractable hard-top immerses the occupants into a variety of driving moods that connect them with the outside environment for a personal and pleasurable experience.

As you see, the LF-C can be configured as a coupe,...targa,...speedster,...and fully-open convertible. The powered top stows neatly into the trunk through a surprisingly minimal rear-deck opening.

The full-open position expresses elegant sports car qualities...
    * in a four-passenger/bucket-seat arrangement...
    * that provides roominess along with a snug and secure feeling.

The interior communicates performance with drive-by-wire steering and Formula One inspired shifter and steering wheel. The instrumentation is simple with a sense of elegance and purpose, giving the driver a sensation of control and excitement.

It should probably come as no surprise...that the current IS has the lowest age demographic of any vehicle in our line-up. In fact,...at a mere 29-years-old...
    * it's by-far, the lowest age-demographic in the near-luxury segment...
    * and is actually lower than any Toyota or Scion-brand model.

Because they are young, aspirational-sport-buyers are not bound by tradition.
    * Most are first-time Lexus buyers.
    * More still are first-time luxury buyers.

They are drawn to that which is different and a little on-edge. They actively seek a car that makes a statement about themselves...
    * anticipates their needs
    * and delivers subtle surprises along the way.

Increasingly, we have found,...they have a deep-rooted trust in Lexus...
    * drawn to the brand as the industry-benchmark in luxury, comfort and refinement...
    * as well as an ownership experience that is the industry standard.

But frankly, that's not enough

We...and our competitors...have known for quite some time...that if Lexus ever prioritized styling and performance...the way it has product quality and technology...the luxury-car playing field would change...once again.

Lexus is changing.
    The playing field is changing.
    And the definition of what a luxury automobile must be...is changing.

Ladies and gentlemen...with the LF-C we've raised the bar once again.

Thank you all for joining us today...

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Default and more...

April 8, 2004 -- New York, NY --
    Lexus introduced its third new concept design within a year when it unveiled the LF-C luxury sports coupe concept car at the New York International Auto Show today. The LF series of concept vehicles is designed to define and launch an entirely new direction in styling for the Lexus brand. The LF-C provides a hint of the direction Lexus is considering for the next generation IS 300 sports car.
    "Design is among the most important differentiating factors between any two products and the LF-C expands the current IS 300 sport sedan into a new category previously not addressed in the Lexus lineup," said Lexus Group Vice President and General Manager Denny Clements. "The LF-C concept is designed to target an extremely young, affluent buyer with a strong element of surprise."

The surprise is provided by stylists from the Calty Design Research Center in the form of a 4-position retractable hardtop in the LF-C. The unique hardtop design allows the car to transform itself at the touch of a button from a coupe to a convertible, to a targa or to a speedster, depending on the driver's mood. The powered top stows neatly into the trunk through a surprisingly minimal rear-deck opening.

A large rear wheel drive platform utilizes a high-output, front-mounted V8 engine with a six-speed sequential automatic transmission as the basis and motivating force for the LF-C. With an expanded wheelbase of 5.1 inches, the LF-C is only slightly longer overall than the current IS 300. Significantly, the LF-C sits about 2.0 inches lower and is nearly five inches wider than the current IS 300. The broad stance and short overhangs strike an aggressive pose with ample dimensions to comfortably accommodate four adult passengers.

"We used a combination of convex and concave surfaces to control the balance of light and shadow on the car which creates this beautiful contrast of having sharp lines within the sculpted exterior surfaces," said Kevin Hunter, vice president of Calty Design Research, Inc. "The idea was to create a sense of strength and softness at the same time, adding an air of mystery."

Calty used long, integrated lines to simplify the overall form of the LF-C. The distinctive roof rail tapers as it moves forward from the rear, mimicking the sculpted theme of the main body. The extreme tapering of the main body shape from front to rear, which is then wrapped and interlocked by the rear fenders, is designed to show strength and power from every angle.

The interior communicates performance with drive-by-wire steering and Formula One inspired shifter and steering wheel with the gauges stacked along the steering column axis, ascending toward the base of the windshield. The gauges are transparent, with needles moving from the ring, rather than the center.

A dynamic and flowing center console, in a solid tapered form, runs the length of the interior. Displays and controls are hidden beneath this transparent console surface that is multi-layered, which creates a sophisticated, high-tech look and feel. The console is flanked on each side by arched, wing-like instrument panels situated low in front of the driver and passenger to create a feeling of openness.

Four lightweight individual bucket seats use slender shapes inspired by modern stemware to create a contrast of sport and elegance. The effect provides roominess along with a snug and secure feeling.

"We've known for some time that if Lexus ever prioritized styling the way we have product quality and advanced technology, we would once again change the luxury car playing field," said Clements. "The LF-C is a stunning example of how Lexus will address the future and change it at the same time."

Specifications
    Wheelbase: 110.0 in.
    Length: 178.7 in.
    Width: 73.0 in.
    Height: 53.5 in.
    Engine: High-Output Double Overhead Cam V8
    Transmission: 6-Speed Sequential A/T
    Layout: Front engine, rear drive
    Tire - Front: 245/35 ZR20
    Rear: 285/30 ZR21
    Wheel Size - Front: 20 x 9 in.
    Rear: 21 x 10.5 in.

Stock 20x9 front wheels, 21x10.5 rear wheels!

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Oh no .. please .. don't .. Lexus .. don't make those ulgy monster .. that is GM job !
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

That thing is damn nice. To bad that it won't come to market with that size of wheels though, if it even comes.
    I live my life a beer at a time, nothing else matters.

Is that the SC replacement??

My Ride
    NC1

Looks awesome!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    L-Tuned

No, that is for sure the concept for the IS platform.

Lexus production vehicles typically mimic the concepts quite closely. So the real thing will probably look quite similar. Look for it in late '05 or early '06.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Takes some time to get used to but I like it.

My Ride
    pedals

i dont understand the point of wheels that big on a car? i just dont get it, they dont have any advantages to smaller wheels

My Ride
    f-350 harley

umm maybe big wheels for looks......

My Ride
    pedals

Originally posted by boostedDsm
    umm maybe big wheels for looks......
    ummm...

I love it, much better than current IS and SC, but I am not sure I could ever get one.

My Ride
    2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350

Is it me or do the front lights remind of the S2K?