Quantcast
240/180/Silvia Question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 240/180/Silvia Question

Default 240/180/Silvia Question

Was wondering about the last gen of 240sx in North America, from 95 to 98, S14 platform. Did we actually get the later version in Canada? I've seen a few in town, are they conversions or the real??

Early version:

Later version:
    Damn +44411's

My Ride
    a wrx.

We got the S13 and S14, but not the S15.

we got both the models. the one with the roundish square lights and the meaner looking square lights

Originally posted by Hipermax_d
    we got both the models. the one with the roundish square lights and the meaner looking square lights
    Thank you.
    Damn +44411's

My Ride
    '15 GTI

too bad we didnt get the meaner engine...

My Ride
    Looking for a new FD Project Car

Originally posted by three.eighteen.
    too bad we didnt get the meaner engine...
    If you want to drop an SR20DET engine in it should only cost you about 4 -5 G's for the engine and tranny. Not overly bad for a 250 bhp unit...
    -Tux

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Yeah i've seen a couple with the mean looking headlights..those are still s14s and still look tight as hell.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

240 from 95-96 S14
    240 from 97-98 S14A

My Ride
    08 Acura CSX-S Gone:1991 DSM Laser / '96 VW Jetta

If you wanna turbo them do you have to drop a silvia engine in it or is there turbo kits available for them? I think it would make a sweet project for the older 240's (?89-91?)

Later

My Ride
    22 ZR2, 06 YZ250, 77 KZ1000 supercharged

Originally posted by Madmax
    240 from 95-96 S14
    240 from 97-98 S14A
    95-96 s14
    97-98 s14mc (minor change)
    99-02 s15 (Across the ocean only, parts of europe, Austrailia, Asia Etc..Same with the skyline, so next time you go to england ask your buddy for a ride in his GTR!)

Originally posted by SpeedStar
    If you wanna turbo them do you have to drop a silvia engine in it or is there turbo kits available for them? I think it would make a sweet project for the older 240's (?89-91?)

Later
    Lot's of turbo kits but they all cost the same as the SR engine for the most part. And your KA24DE needs to be in good shape for a turbo kit. With a KA you can put down some serious numbers. Lot's of torque.

My Ride
    Stock 240sx fastback SE

Lot's of turbo kits but they all cost the same as the SR engine for the most part. And your KA24DE needs to be in good shape for a turbo kit. With a KA you can put down some serious numbers. Lot's of torque.
    Yeah the 24de can produce some good numbers with low psi... turbo magazines was pumpin out 300Whp on 7psi

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

Hmm... wouldn't it be more logical to go with the sr20det swap than to turbo the Ka? If the costs are approximately the same, wouldn't the sr be more reliable as it is a factory turboed engine?
    omgwtfbbq

My Ride
    '15 GTI

yeah the article about the guy t/c'ing his KA24 was half about how many times he failed blowing this and that...in the end it would have been cheaper for him to get an sr20

My Ride

Originally posted by RiceCake
    Hmm... wouldn't it be more logical to go with the sr20det swap than to turbo the Ka? If the costs are approximately the same, wouldn't the sr be more reliable as it is a factory turboed engine?
    No matter what the SR factory turbo engine, is better off than the KA for reliability, no one can tell me different. Nice thing about SR's too there are all ready proven power recipies available like this one for example.

SR + t3/t4 + 550 injectors + 300zx MAF+ S-AFC/others = +350WHP/350WTQ, with spoolups in the 4000K range. Add your 17% drive train loss and get +409.5 crank HP.

FYI The 240/silvia in it's time had the most advanced real wheel drive setup in the JDM market place. This, and the weight diff, is how lower HP 240's beat higher HP supras. The SR is by far the most impressive engine I have seen yet in the 4 cyl range.

If I can rip ship up with a measly stock t25 and hit the 240-250RWHP, though a bigger turbo on and that's when shit starts getting crazy. Stock bottom end is solid till 400HP'ish

My Ride
    Probe

I know this is off topic, but I heard you talk about the best 4 cyl engine and it made me think...
    You ever heard of the Fe3 mazda motor...
    Its top and bottom end can handle more then 550 crank hp, all you need to upgrade is the pistons, and fuel system!
    IT has two intake plenums , which comes close to doubling your boost level once the engine hits 5000 rpm, and can rev to 8500rpm stock...
    The turbo edition came with 250 hp at 12 psi, and 230 tq i think...
    SO it doest put out as much torque i dont believe... but you can find this engine kicking around all over the place for a 1000 canadian and NO ONE knows its potential
    A friend of mine is getting 450whp with 22psi , with half pumpgas/half 106 octane fuel... and his only upgrades are turbo/intercooler/fuel system/ECU/and pistons...
    Its a 2.0 16 vavle FWD engine..
    Im not arguing in case you might think I am.... I want to get specks on the sr20det because Im intrested in a RWD 4 cyl turboed application in the future....
    But has any of you heard or done any research on the capabilities of the FE3 ?

My Ride

Originally posted by ConVict
    I know this is off topic, but I heard you talk about the best 4 cyl engine and it made me think...
    You ever heard of the Fe3 mazda motor...
    Its top and bottom end can handle more then 550 crank hp, all you need to upgrade is the pistons, and fuel system!
    IT has two intake plenums , which comes close to doubling your boost level once the engine hits 5000 rpm, and can rev to 8500rpm stock...
    The turbo edition came with 250 hp at 12 psi, and 230 tq i think...
    SO it doest put out as much torque i dont believe... but you can find this engine kicking around all over the place for a 1000 canadian and NO ONE knows its potential
    A friend of mine is getting 450whp with 22psi , with half pumpgas/half 106 octane fuel... and his only upgrades are turbo/intercooler/fuel system/ECU/and pistons...
    Its a 2.0 16 vavle FWD engine..
    Im not arguing in case you might think I am.... I want to get specks on the sr20det because Im intrested in a RWD 4 cyl turboed application in the future....
    But has any of you heard or done any research on the capabilities of the FE3 ?
    When you have to upgrade pistons, it is no longer STOCK bottom end.

I'm not starting a war of the 4 cyl engines. I'm just saying IMO from what turbo cars I have been in or driven this one is the most impressive. Have to remember 1 thing this is a JDM motor so the rules of engine building are different than here, kinda like why certian german cars are faster in say europe but get toned down here to North America.

With 4 cylinder turbo motors, a couple of the strongest motors built are the SR20DET(240,180) from Nissan and the 3SGTE(MR2, AWD Celica) from Toyota. I think most motors have potential if you build it right but these 2 motors are strong from the get go so you don't need as many reinforcements until you go buck wild. The SR20DET does have a better platform to work from. The MR2 is the worst to work on mechanically becuase of the cramped mid engine space. The 240 you got lots of room to play around.

Peace