Quantcast
did i put on too much thermal grease? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: did i put on too much thermal grease?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default did i put on too much thermal grease?

so i mounted my first cpu evar a couple weeks ago cuz i switched the mobo.

i think i might have used too much thermal grease, but i want to see if the experts agree with me before i take it all back out to remount it.

when i first installed it, the cpu temp was at 55 degrees at idle with the fan running at medium and the comp wouldnt run with the cpu fan at low. but slowly, the idle temp went up until today when it idled at 58 degrees and i crashed when the temp went up to 60 degrees from me loading a playlist. ive turned up the cpu fan to high which is like 8000rpm but its still idling at 56 degrees. the case temp is 35 degrees.

so...too much thermal grease?

you cant really put on too much thermal grease... any excess would simply ooze out from under the heatsink and all over your motherboard.

There should be just enough thermal grease to cover the copper in the middle of the processor. If there is thermal grease beyond that then you over applied. Judging from the high temps, I'm guessing you're running an AMD? What kind of cooling?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by sputnik
    you cant really put on too much thermal grease... any excess would simply ooze out from under the heatsink and all over your motherboard.
    oh well the wtf is wrong? my idle temp is still 57 degrees on the highest fan setting. i dont get why my cpu wont cool no matter what i set the fan speed to.
    Originally posted by Doomsday88
    There should be just enough thermal grease to cover the copper in the middle of the processor. If there is thermal grease beyond that then you over applied. Judging from the high temps, I'm guessing you're running an AMD? What kind of cooling?
    im using an athlon xp2100+ at stock voltage with a thermaltake fan. i dont know what model it is, but it has a 3 setting fanspeed adjuster. the heatsink is oem.

My Ride
    Turbod Honda

lol, I have the same processor, i never go above 40, even on heavy load.

Yes u can put on too much thermal grease....too less is better than too much just a thin layer would do ie using a credit card or something to spread it thin and even

My Ride
    Bicycle

Too much thermal grease and it will become an isolator instead of conductor.

The point of thermal grease it to fill in the metal surface's imperfection so both surfaces conduct heat better.

If thinning down your thermal grease doesn't help, it's time to look at your case's air flow. How many case fans do you have. At a minimum, it's should be 1 in front and 1 in back (not counting the one in your power supply)

No CPU should idle over 40C. If it's over 50C at full load, you have some series heat dissapation problem.

frostyda9 Guest

Probably way too much grease. The layer should literally be paper thin...all it does is fill the minute porosities that are present between the CPU die and heatsink surface. As Xtrema said though, case ventilation is more likely the issue. Check out how the air flows (in the bottom at the front, out the top at the back, hopefully) and think about getting some AS3, it's much better than that generic white spooge.

My Ride
    a wrx.

my case is doing ok...35 degrees.

My Ride
    02 Dakota R/T

you should have a thin enough layer that you can read the text on the cpu.. spread it evenly with a credit card or razor blade.

My Ride
    1985 300ZX

Make sure your fan and heat sink are mounted correctly, it is possiable that it is on backwards and that may account for your high temp
    Speedy
    1985 300ZX & 1991 300ZX

I've got a small tube of Arctic Silver 5 I have never used, but bought in anticipation for my next upgrade. If I can find it, I am willing to lend you a tiny drop for your cpu. PM me if interested.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by xrayvsn
    I've got a small tube of Arctic Silver 5 I have never used, but bought in anticipation for my next upgrade. If I can find it, I am willing to lend you a tiny drop for your cpu. PM me if interested.
    im guessing that u are in calgary so that might not work. also, ive decided to live with leaving the fan on high for a few days until my motherboard gets back to me from rma...then ill mount the cpu properly

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    im guessing that u are in calgary so that might not work. also, ive decided to live with leaving the fan on high for a few days until my motherboard gets back to me from rma...then ill mount the cpu properly
    No, I'm in Edmonton, and I have found my tube of unused Arctic Silver 5. Just let me know, I can hook you up.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

u want to put a very miniscule amount on ur cpu, too much will make the heat stay on ur cpu and over time will make ur comp stall, or cpu fry...so if i were u crack taht cooler off ur cpu, clean it off....if you want u can also sand the surface with high grit paper (wet sanding) to remove some of the imperfections, thats not needed but can be done, then put some new thermal paste on it, VERY LITTLE tho, using lots won't increase performance, only use a tiny layer, make sure u use a nice flat edge when spreading it out.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by xrayvsn

No, I'm in Edmonton, and I have found my tube of unused Arctic Silver 5. Just let me know, I can hook you up.
    hm ok. ill give u a shout when its time to remount. thanks!!