Quantcast
CustomAuto Contest: WINNER Announced inside! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: CustomAuto Contest: WINNER Announced inside!

My Ride
    V167

Default CustomAuto Contest (*2 DAYS ONLY*): Your work featured in PAS Mag AND $100 Gift Cert.

Calling all graphic artists/photoshop masters:

CustomAuto needs a new advertisement to be featured in Performance Auto And Sound Magazine and they need YOUR HELP!!!

Create a half page magazine advertisement for CustomAuto.ca, the winner will be chosen by the staff at CustomAuto. If your entry is selected you will get more than just the pleasure of seeing your work featured in Performance Auto and Sound Magazine. You will ALSO get a $100 GIFT CERTIFICATE for anything on the Customauto.ca website*. It can't get any better than this......

Your entry MUST be submitted by THURSDAY APRIL 22ND AT 2:30PM CALGARY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, that is 2 days only so GET TO WORK!!!

*=excluding motors

Make a half page AD for Performance Auto And Sound. Specifications are: 7"(width)x 4.875"(height)

Must include: our website address (make it stand out), our shop address, phone number and fax.
    Must have the following slogans: "Free shipping for online orders", "Specialization in wholesale and distribution" "Talk to one our JDM motor swap experts for all your needs"

It would be nice if it lists some of the popular brand names we sell. For example AEM, Greddy, Apexi.. etc...

By entering, constestants agree their entry will be the property of Custom Auto a.b.a. B&T Distributors Inc. No person shall seek further compensation from Custom Auto for any reason whatsoever.

Prize: $100 gift certicate for anything on the CustomAuto.ca website (except motors).

Check out Customauto.ca for all the information to put in your required features (phone number, address, fax etc..)

- your entry will have to be hosted somewhere since it will be too large to attach (see hint below as to why it should be too big)...so if you CAN then host it somewhere yourself, but if you do NOT have your own webspace then e-mail me your fullsize pic and I'll host it for you
    [email protected]
    - Entries are due on Thursday April 22nd at 2:30pm
    - A winning entry will be chosen by the staff at CustomAuto.ca

Hint: your canvas size should be set as 2100x1463 pixels for best results...you won't be able to attach this picture so that is why I am asking you to eiter host it yourself or send it to me via email so I can host it for you.

Here is a link to the current CustomAuto.ca magazine advertisement....take a look at it to get a basic idea of what kind of quality they need and get an idea of what to do for the required features (remember to make your entry in the size specified above):

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Post any questions/comments you may have in this thread as well (there will NOT be a seperate comments thread...)

If there are any details I missed then I apologize....I'm rushing off to a bio exam in a little bit so forgive me if I missed something stupid.

Best of luck to everybody.....now GET TO WORK!

My Ride
    89 Fairlady TT, 01 MDX, 02 CBR F4i

I look forward to seeing what some of you can bring to the table. I hope to see some kick ass stuff.
    Come visit our new shop!

My Ride
    V167

so who all is workin on this?? I am definately goin to give it a shot on Thursday mornin I have a phys exam at 8am after that I'll start work on it and hopefully have somethin nice by the deadline

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

ive never tried one of these before but ill igve it a shot
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

i want to try it out but is gonna be hard as hell to study watch the hockey games work and finish this off

My Ride
    rubbish

I'm a little confused on the size....when I started a new canvas...I put in my 7" for width, and 4.875" for height....and the result was this small pic.....far smaller than half a page. Is my PS7 messed, or an I missing something? Anyway....here's one I did up. Might not be my final entry.

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

^^^nice job on that one 86max ^^^

My Ride
    rubbish

Thanks

My Ride
    2001 Honda Prelude SE

I'm working on one right now. I'll post it on Thursday sometime more than likely.

Oh, and 86max... yours looks good .

The reason your picture seems so small is when you typed in the dimensions your resolution was probably set to 72 pixels/inch. You either have to bump up the pixels per inch or make the size larger while maintaining the aspect ratio.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

My Ride
    V167

ok guys I totally forgot about thiat, as highvelocity said, a larger image is better to work with, so create your original canvas as 2100x1463 for best results (highest quality...)

your entry will have to be hosted somewhere...so if you CAN then host it somewhere yourself, but if you do NOT have your own webspace then e-mail me your fullsize pic and I'll host it for you

[email protected]

86max: hope that explains why the sample pic is so much larger than what it will end up being in the end, quality is a lot better if you do it this way, the magazien people can then just quickly resize it to the appropriate specs and its done (aspect ratio is the same so I am guessin all they do is resize it down to appropriate size at the time they fit it on the page). Hope yuo don't have to restart or anything your entry looks great though

Reality is that if this is for commercial print, the image portion should be two times the line screen. If the line screen for the publication is 150 lpi, then you require 300 dpi images. Less resolution will result in crappy reproduction, more resolution is simply not describable at the line screen.

Text should actually not be part of the 'image' as text should remain as vector data. The vector data is described at output resolution of the image setter or plate setter. This is usually 2540 dpi. So you can see your text will be crisper if it remains vector. However, lots of people just throw it right in to the image. If you have very small text, it looks like hell when printed in comparison to what it could have looked like had it remained vector.

1-Bit TIF/EPS images should also be around the final output resolution. (2,540 dpi). (2000+ is good). This is for describing logos that might have been scanned in...they shouldn't be gray scale (unless they are re-screened, or contain screen data), but 1-BIT so they appear as vector. Ideally, logos are Vector data in the first place. (Created in Illustrator)

Normally something like this would be done combining Quark Express, Illustrator and Photoshop. (Perhaps InDesign as opposed to Quark, depending on platform).

Blah blah blah...no one cares right...

*OH* A big one! The thing should be done in CMYK format! Offset printing doesn't use RGB. IT uses Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black for inks on press. If you send an RGB image, it will just get converted to CMYK.

Edit: Typically once an AD is done, to create a display for the WEB you'd just export an EPS from Quark/InDesign, then open that EPS in Photoshop (Rasterizing & Mode Change To RGB) to 72dpi for WEB display...
    Last edited by Z_Fan; 04-21-2004 at 09:58 AM.

My Ride
    V167

z_Fan: thx for the tecnhno input I have never actually created anything for print yet so all that info is appreciated

My Ride
    89 Fairlady TT, 01 MDX, 02 CBR F4i

Hey guys, sorry, but I forgot to mention another requirement. I hope it's an easy fix for anyone who has already started the contest. We have a new logo that we use for decals and stuff. We need this logo on our ad, and not the logo on our site. Here's the logo:

http://www.customauto.ca/images/products/calogo.tif

Please incorporate that into the ad, and feel free to change the color.

Thanks guys! You have just over a full day left.
    Come visit our new shop!

My Ride
    rubbish

I give up. I just might give it another shot after the meet tonight, but unlikely.

My Ride
    V167

I'm definately gonna give it a go tomorrow mornin.....hopefully create some pwnage material

every thing that zfan said made no sence to me but tnx ne ways

and i duno about you guys but the link does ent work so if ne one could post a pic of it up in this thread it would be great

My Ride
    rubbish

I tried uploading it but it's a ".tif" file. Try right clicking and save as.

no it just has the pic of the paper that is riped lol i think u know what i mean

convert it to jpg by save as...come one I use a mac and I GOT IT OPEN

My Ride
    Corolla

Originally posted by Z_Fan
    Reality is that if this is for commercial print, the image portion should be two times the line screen. If the line screen for the publication is 150 lpi, then you require 300 dpi images. Less resolution will result in crappy reproduction, more resolution is simply not describable at the line screen.

Text should actually not be part of the 'image' as text should remain as vector data. The vector data is described at output resolution of the image setter or plate setter. This is usually 2540 dpi. So you can see your text will be crisper if it remains vector. However, lots of people just throw it right in to the image. If you have very small text, it looks like hell when printed in comparison to what it could have looked like had it remained vector.

1-Bit TIF/EPS images should also be around the final output resolution. (2,540 dpi). (2000+ is good). This is for describing logos that might have been scanned in...they shouldn't be gray scale (unless they are re-screened, or contain screen data), but 1-BIT so they appear as vector. Ideally, logos are Vector data in the first place. (Created in Illustrator)

Normally something like this would be done combining Quark Express, Illustrator and Photoshop. (Perhaps InDesign as opposed to Quark, depending on platform).

Blah blah blah...no one cares right...

*OH* A big one! The thing should be done in CMYK format! Offset printing doesn't use RGB. IT uses Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black for inks on press. If you send an RGB image, it will just get converted to CMYK.

Edit: Typically once an AD is done, to create a display for the WEB you'd just export an EPS from Quark/InDesign, then open that EPS in Photoshop (Rasterizing & Mode Change To RGB) to 72dpi for WEB display...
    Here's somebody that knows how to do print.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast