Quantcast
FS: Killer octane boost/ cheaper than gas!! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FS: Killer octane boost/ cheaper than gas!!

My Ride
    22 ZR2, 06 YZ250, 77 KZ1000 supercharged

Smile FS: Killer octane boost/ cheaper than gas!!

If you have a turbo, supercharged or high compression car/truck this is a must! Also certain vehicles ECU's will take readings from the O2 sensors and adjust timing accordingly to octane levels, so bad or low octane gas the ECU will retard you timing as a result you will loose horse power. Just because you but 92 octane does not actually mean you get 92 octane gas, the octane levels varries per gas batch.

Or if you actually want cheaper gas! You could buy 87 octane from the pump add this get your 94-97 for $2.22 difference.

As per gas prices today; to fill up a 60L gas tank (roughly);
    87 = $40.00
    89 = $44.00
    92 = $46.00

So to add $2.22 to $40.00 will get you you 94-97 octane for $42.22, still cheaper than 89 octane!! So it's kinda stupid not to buy it.

Effectively does the following:

Improves fuel economy up to 40%
    Boosts octane number 7 - 10 points
    Improves power and acceleration
    Enhances combustion
    Controls knock and ping
    Removes carbon deposits

Here is the stats
    87 > 94-97 octane
    89 > 96-99
    92 > 99-102

I'm only going to carry 2L bottles, which you get 18 uses from 1 bottle.
    $40.00 per bottle.

Turns out to be 2.22 at each fill up.

Email me for more details. Order will be placed this wednesday Oct.16. Pickup available that night or any time after that.
    Click here to E-mail me.

is this the stuff you get in small bottles?? if so i think the 7-10 points means 0.7 to 1.0 octane increase one point usually means 0.1 octane. but what do i know so i could be worng.

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

What kind of additives does it use?

MTB == BAD but a cheap way to increase octane (mohawk)
    or even alcohol (which is also bad) - dries up the injectors creating extra heat.

IMO - if you really need octane VP fuel is the way to go.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

That stuff is garbage.. no replacement for good gas. QUIZ: Can anyone tell me exactly what more octane does to the fuel/air mixture? I just wanna see who knows..
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    07 E92 335i

I believe more octane in the a/f mixture acutally slows down the burning process of the gas.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

Originally posted by kevie88
    QUIZ: Can anyone tell me exactly what more octane does to the fuel/air mixture? I just wanna see who knows..
    12 - 13 :1 would be ideal?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by 2000impreza
    i think the 7-10 points means 0.7 to 1.0 octane increase one point usually means 0.1 octane.
    You are correct. So adding the stuff would bring you from 87 octane rating to 87.7.

Originally posted by speedracer
    IMO - if you really need octane VP fuel is the way to go.
    RACEGAS! Too bad it's so pricey...

Originally posted by kevie88
    QUIZ: Can anyone tell me exactly what more octane does to the fuel/air mixture? I just wanna see who knows..
    A/F mixture remains the same. Only thing octane rating changes is the resistance to detonation at specific temperatures/pressures/etc.

Originally posted by Voodoo Child
    I believe more octane in the a/f mixture acutally slows down the burning process of the gas.
    Yes, that too.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

have you been using that in your sr20det? uh oh

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Ok, so what about octane booster you can buy at the gas station? When I put my turbo on I went and filled up with Shell Premium and added a bottle of octane booster just to be safe.(nervous first time boosting non-intercooled, stock timing)

Did this even do anything then??
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by legendboy
    Ok, so what about octane booster you can buy at the gas station? When I put my turbo on I went and filled up with Shell Premium and added a bottle of octane booster just to be safe.(nervous first time boosting non-intercooled, stock timing)

Did this even do anything then??
    I did a test using my Octane tester (aka 944 turbo) a few months back. Set the car up so it would start detonating lightly (14psi) at WOT in 3rd gear. Once the car ran dry, I popped in a bottle of Octane Boost and pumped the car to 1/2 tank. Same knock was there. Once that tank ran dry, Did the same thing, except I used 2 bottles this time. The knock was gone, turned the boost up to 14.5psi knock was back.

So yes, octane boost does work, but it's so insignificant that it's pretty much useless (especially at like $7 a bottle!)

As a comparison, on 92 Octane, I can run a maximum of 13.5psi of boost on my engine. On 103 Octane (VP MS103) I can run about 28psi before it starts to knock (yes, I've hit the limits of 103 octane as well!). With 92 Octane + 2 bottles of Octane Boost, I was able to run a maximum of 14psi. Simple math would show I'm able to run ~1.3psi per octane level (assuming Esso and VP rates their octane levels correctly). Which means 2 bottles of octane boost in 1/2 a tank of gas didn't even boost the octane level by 10 points (or 1 octane rating).
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by speedracer
    12 - 13 :1 would be ideal?
    For the most power in a forced induction environment, 12.5:1 A/F ratio is the sweet spot. Any richer or leaner there will be power loss. Richer will cool the mixture more, combating detonation at the expense of power, leaner will help fuel economy, but increase EGT's.

I run 12:1, I've seen people run 11-11.5:1 just to be safe from a bad batch of gas .

NA guys run 13:1 I believe, or maybe it was 13.5:1... can't remember.

My Ride

Originally posted by 2000impreza
    is this the stuff you get in small bottles?? if so i think the 7-10 points means 0.7 to 1.0 octane increase one point usually means 0.1 octane. but what do i know so i could be worng.
    Do I look like a rookie???? I know my shit.

This is legit 7-10, not .7- 1.0.

They told me not to use it with premium because I would be in the 100 octane range wich would be useless. This is a chemical/fuel company not Canadian tire.

In japan they get 95 octane fuel and it is bennificial to the engines there. For someone to say octane boost is useless just lost my respect as a tuner.

I'm just trying to help people out here, not waisting peoples time. Heaven forbid I help you guys save money and make your car run better.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

There are tons of octane boosters out there, and lots of misinformation when it comes to boosting octane and what it actually does. Not trying to drive away your business, but I think everyone would like to get the most accurate information before putting down their hard earned money.

I'd be more than happy to test a bottle. Honestly, I'm still skeptical... 111mL per tank of gas raising octane from 89 to 100+ octane, that's like 10000x more potent than pure toulene (which is a great cheap way to boost octane). If this stuff does boost octane that much, we can put VP out of business right now.

Like I said, sign me up for a bottle, I'll test it immediately, and post the unbiased results. PM me and let me know where I can pick it up.

Oh, and nobody is saying octane boost is useless, I was merely stating the fact that the octane boosters out there do NOT boost octane levels enough to make a signicant difference.

My Ride

Originally posted by rage2
    Oh, and nobody is saying octane boost is useless, I was merely stating the fact that the octane boosters out there do NOT boost octane levels enough to make a signicant difference.
    Kevie88 was more who I was replying to on that part.

The manufactorer is sending me an email tommorrow about the proof you are looking for. They stated to me for the second time today that they guarantee 7-10 points increase, and not .7-1.0. They said they have no problem sending me the proof, it did not phase him whatsoever.

And Rage i'm with you on the toulene and xylene deal, knowing it takes 10% of you gas tank for xylene to increase your octane to 95-96ish, and toulene is like 15%ish to produce the 95-96. 10% of 60L is 6L and that's a lot of extra liquid to produce the same results as this octane booster, which is way less volume. But I dought they will tell me what's in it. If you look at others you will see that they don't state the ingredients either.

Rage I will see if I can get some test bottles sent to me.
    Last edited by Hollywood; 10-10-2002 at 08:31 PM.

My Ride
    2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

I'm going to call the BS flag on 7-10 full octane numbers (although you're saying 7 - 10 points which like previously mentioned is 0.7- 1.0). I wasn't seeing that doing a 30% xylene mix in with 92 octane premium and xylene is 116 octane.
    For those that don't know, xylene is paint thinner.
    The more compression (or boost) you run the more your AF ratio needs to change to keep knock down (hotter cylinder temps). For race boost (20+ psi) you'd only be able to do 12.5:1 on race gas. Pump wouldn't resist detonation enough.

My Ride

Originally posted by 95TsiAWD
    I wasn't seeing that doing a 30% xylene mix in with 92 octane premium and xylene is 116 octane.
    Actually 30% xylene produces 99.5 octane rating mixed with 92, no where close to 116.

[i] For those that don't know, xylene is paint thinner[/B]
    Actually wrong there too. Xylene is a chemical used in many products, and happends to be often mixed with other other chemicals as paint thinner, wood stain removal, octane boost, and glue removal for floors. So technically it's not a paint thinner but a hydrocarbon.

And toulene is a pure hydrocarbon (C7H8). It contains only hydrogen and carbon atoms. It belongs to a particular category of hydrocarbons called aromatic hydrocarbons

If you look at some paint thinners you will see

*Product contains xylene or toulene

Which means it's not actually xylene or toulene but a mixture of things w/xylene or toulene to make paint thinner.
    Last edited by Hollywood; 10-10-2002 at 08:41 PM.

My Ride
    2009 STi

2L of this stuff for 18 tanks. So thats 111mL of the stuff per tank right?.

Assume each tank of gas is 40L.

So, for 7 "POINTS", say on 87 octane fuel, you say we will see 94 from it?

That means that the octane of the magical stuff is what?

40L * 87 + 0.111L * x
    ----------------------------- = 94

x = 2616

So its octane rating would have to be AT LEAST 2616 (remember, I assumed it only added 7. Your saying it could go up to 10 "points", meaning it would have to be 3700 to reach this)? uh huh.

Now saying that it adds 7 OCTANE POINTS (i.e. 0.7)

40L * 87 + 0.111L * x
    ---------------------------- = 87.7

x = 101

Actually plausible

Actually 30% xylene produces 99.5 octane rating mixed with 92, no where close to 116.
    70L * 92 + 30L * x
    ------------------------ = 99.5
    100L

x = 117

From this statement you made, it means xylene is 117 (which IS close to 116). So why is 95TsiAWD wrong?

EDITITED : For my horrible ENGRISH
    Last edited by tulit; 10-10-2002 at 10:24 PM.

My Ride
    2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

Thank you, at least someone reads the whole post. The xylene is 116 or 117, not the mixed gas.
    I actually found it as cheap to run race gas though by the time you pay $20 or so for xylene and $20 for premium you could get a few gallons of C-16 and actually have 117 octane.
    Plus there is all the nasty side effects of mixing xylene and getting it on your skin.
    I bought xylene at General Paint in the paint thinner section, I don't care what you do with it or what other uses it has. Use it to brush your teeth and lube your rubbers if you want.
    Where can I get some of this 3700 octane additive? I think I may just run it straight. That would be mad tight dawg. Will it make my NAWS sound like Stealth Boy's BOV too?
    (man I am right grouchy after 10pm.... )

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Excellent math tulit, I was going to do the same but was way too lazy to do type it out =).

My Ride

Ok here is the latest. They 100% assure me that it does raise the octane levels 7-10 points. The specific mixing volumes are 2ml of octane boost per 1L of gas. So that changes the math slighlty, but not by much. He said the chemicals that they use possess the power to raise the octane levels that much. They would not divulge the ingredients, but I did not think they would.

He said try a bottle and if I did'nt feel an improvement by using the 87 gas and the octane boost, instead of 92 gas that they would gladly give me my money back. They said they guarantee the products efectiveness.

So rage I will snag you a bottle too, we will test it out. With our high perfomance turbo engines we should be able to notice the difference.

When the tests are done I will post the results. No more skeptical posts till then please.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast