Quantcast
bmw 330 questions . . . - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bmw 330 questions . . .

Default bmw 330 questions . . .

got a few questions with regards to the 330
    1. any difference in performance between the 330i and the 330ci? i know they use the same engine but not sure about weight difference if any
    2. is the m suspension worth it?
    3. what year did they come out with the 340hp e46 M3? was it 2000 or 2001???

thanks

or was it 2002?? with the 340hp M3?

thx

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Re: bmw 330 questions . . .

1.no
    2.yes
    3.2001 - 333hp not 340hp

My Ride
    '15 GTI

i think the Ci maybe a little quicker just cus less weight of 2 doors, but the new bmws are pretty heavy either way

Clem is offline FLAMESFAN 4LIFE-Canes in 4
    My Ride
    Turbo AWD Sled

1. no
    2. no (aftermarket is better)
    3. 2001 333 HP for North America

Clem is offline FLAMESFAN 4LIFE-Canes in 4
    My Ride
    Turbo AWD Sled

Originally posted by three.eighteen.
    i think the Ci maybe a little quicker just cus less weight of 2 doors, but the new bmws are pretty heavy either way
    They weigh the same, sedans are slightly more aerodynamic.

330i Unladen lbs 3285 (3362)

http://www.bmwusa.com/site_layout/mo...2_techdata.cfm

330Ci Unladen lbs 3285 (3362)

http://www.bmwusa.com/site_layout/mo...3_techdata.cfm

My Ride
    BMW E70

I think the 3 series sedans actually look better than the coupes

thx . . . i like the e46 sedans also, but i'm liking the 333hp in the 2001+ M3, one more question for you guys

heard the 328 engine was an easier engine to mod as opposed to the 330 in terms of gaining overall power, i'm wondering about gaining peak power (hp and tq) not just proportional gainage (if that's even a word) . . . something about there being more torque in the 328, making it easier to free up hp . . . is that bullshit? i would figure that having .2L more displacement would definitely be a bonus

thanks

My Ride
    NC1

www.e46fanatics.com
    Something you should definitely check out

330 compared to 328, go for the 330, extra power is awesome
    225hp vs 193hp, torque figures are similar

Slap on a supercharger and oh shit!!!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Originally posted by max_boost
    [url]330 compared to 328, go for the 330, extra power is awesome
    225hp vs 193hp, torque figures are similar

Slap on a supercharger and oh shit!!!
    I agree. Adam (Bol) had a 330ci, and man, that thing was quick, VERY quick! Very easy to spin the tires too... and it was an auto!! LOL

If you like showing pride in your ride... get a coupe with a 3.0L motor, if you don't really care... get whatever!

Cheers!

Peter

Personally, if you are looking at a new car, I'd buy a 325i. I think that the handling characteristics, balance and power are a great combination. If you are planning on tuning it anyways, you might save yourself a lot of money in the long run.

On the other hand, if you want a ton of power out of the box, and the best dialed in suspension on the platform, the M3 is definately worth the money. You will never replicate the power, smoothness, reliability and handling of the M3 with a tuned 330i.

In any case, I am rambling on, but I think that the 325/328/330 comparison is a lot more reasonable than a 330/M3 comparison. There is a reason that there is a massive price difference.

With any 3 series ever made, you can't go wrong, and that is the bottom line. Depending on your skill level as a driver, there is a very good chance that a 325 is more than enough car.

Just my two cents.

My Ride
    BMW E70

For our weather in Calgary, I am looking at a 325ix

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by E36M3
    In any case, I am rambling on, but I think that the 325/328/330 comparison is a lot more reasonable than a 330/M3 comparison. There is a reason that there is a massive price difference.

With any 3 series ever made, you can't go wrong, and that is the bottom line. Depending on your skill level as a driver, there is a very good chance that a 325 is more than enough car.

Just my two cents.

You forgot the 320 and 323 haha

Anyway, your right, any 3 series is bang for your buck, amazing car I just wish my car had more power
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Looking for a new FD Project Car

Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
    For our weather in Calgary, I am looking at a 325ix
    Doesn't the ix series 'nix the sport suspensions and a few other mods in favour of the AWD?
    -Tux

there was never a comparison between the 330 and a m3 due to the incredible price difference, what i really like and what i can actually afford are two completely different things haha . . . anyways, i was quite interested in your comment of buying a 325 as opposed to a 330 . . . throw the m3 out of the door because unless i am hit from behind by some dumb ass driver, there is no way i'll be affording that now . . . with regards to the 3 series, i also have been comparing the 325/28/30, mostly because i'm lookin for the e46 body style and i really do think the 4 doors look better . . . IMO . . . anyways so overall what do you suggest? i'm by no means an expert driver . . . but i do enjoy speed . . .help me out

thx

ps - MAXBOOST, i know you used to drive a S/C prelude, give me some insight on the 323 vs. NA prelude . . . handling, accel, that type of shit . . . cuz i compare the 328 to my prelude with basic IHE and it feels like it could take my prelude for sure

thx

I highly recommend starting with a 325i. It is definately a huge step up from a Prelude (not sure which generation you are talking about, but from any of them) and will most likely be more than enough car for quite some time.

The things that make the 330 great are also present in the 325. Fantastic brakes, great suspension, a jewel of an inline six and excellent interior/exterior build quality. The shifter is wonderful, and the clutch is as good as it gets in that price range. Best part of all is that you can upgrade the 325 to our liking, customizing it for exactly what you want to get out of it.

Not enough power? Through on a Dinan Supercharger (emissions legal + doesn't void your warranty) or go into a big turbo kit. You can easily push 400hp if that is the route you want to go.

Brakes aren't strong enough? Borrow from the BMW parts bin and upgrade to the M3 brake kit. You'll have to throw on bigger wheels more than likely, but you could always go with the E36M3 kit if you want to keep 17s.

Handling not flat enough? There are some amazing suspension packages available for the 3 Series, everything from slightly sporty to competition ready.

In any case, good luck.. you're very fortunate to be able to have such a great decision to make.

Originally posted by bksze
    there was never a comparison between the 330 and a m3 due to the incredible price difference, what i really like and what i can actually afford are two completely different things haha . . . anyways, i was quite interested in your comment of buying a 325 as opposed to a 330 . . . throw the m3 out of the door because unless i am hit from behind by some dumb ass driver, there is no way i'll be affording that now . . . with regards to the 3 series, i also have been comparing the 325/28/30, mostly because i'm lookin for the e46 body style and i really do think the 4 doors look better . . . IMO . . . anyways so overall what do you suggest? i'm by no means an expert driver . . . but i do enjoy speed . . .help me out

thx

ps - MAXBOOST, i know you used to drive a S/C prelude, give me some insight on the 323 vs. NA prelude . . . handling, accel, that type of shit . . . cuz i compare the 328 to my prelude with basic IHE and it feels like it could take my prelude for sure

thx

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by bksze

thx
    Ok, handling, the BMW is better, RWD is where its at
    acceleration, the 323 is heavy and slow, you have some low end torque but its still slow, maybe its different with 5 speed but my auto 323 is slow as shit and that is why I am considering upgrading to a 330.......

but at the end of the day, i'm more into making my car look pimp instead of going fast.....but I would not start with a 325, just go straight for the 330, if you have even more money, go buy the M3

I've test driven the 323, 325, 328 and 330 and the 330 ownz man!! It also comes down to money and how much you want to spend.....price will vary

hope that helps
    I am user #49

My Ride
    NC1

One more thing, my evaluations are purely based on stopping and going in a straight line, I can't offer much of an analysis on cornering etc. lol

You can pick up a 323 under $35K, 325 or 328 around $40K, 330 will cost ya about $50K......these are used car prices, new will be much more depending on model
    I am user #49

My Ride
    '15 GTI

are they selling the 330Ci Clubsport in canada? its like 40kg lighter (less sound deadening) and has a different aero package, maybe tighter suspension?

My Ride
    Grand Am GT 99

get the snitzer package

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast