Quantcast
Fixing Garage Door - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Fixing Garage Door

Default Fixing Garage Door

Does anyone else have a metal garage door? When I used to do a flyer route a long time ago, I knocked everyones garage door and they were all wood, mine was the only metal one in about 200 houses!

Anyways, the door is broken...two problems.

1) One brace that holds the door firmly so that it can retract up is broken. It used to be held on by bolt, but it has broken off.

2) The motor that pulls up the door is fine, but the part where the door attaches to the motor has come loose.

So the door still works if I push the door up a little so it catches the motor, and push one part out (due to the broken brace) while its going up.

Anyways you don't need to know what I told you to answer my question really...

1) broken brace: This metal brace has been snapped off. What should I do? I was thinking if I could somehow rivet it or something it would be fine, but I'm not sure how to do it.

2) I have two interlocking pieces that do not interlock anymore. They fit together, but I think there was some material to hold it in that worn off. What can I use that would be strong enough?

I don't mind buying a new motor because they are pretty cheap, but my motor is fine. My door sucks...and I don't want a new one because they are expensive.

Any suggestions?

Okay new question..

I have a piece of metal about 3inches by 15inches, flat. pretty much rectangular cept for a couple grooves...I need a new one. Where can I bring it to and get something made?

Also the glue material that wore off looks almost like the black silicone gel stuff you get out of those calking tubes. Are they strong, or do i need somehting stronger?

Ok, I am not an authority on fixing garage doors, but ours has busted twice.
    First check the tension springs on the door. Chances are, if the door has come off the brace arm, the springs have uncoiled, and if so you are fuxor as you either have to get new springs (assuming they snapped) or recoil them to set the tension again.

Secondly, you cant rivet the support brace arm. It needs to be physically welded, so you have to take it off and take it somewhere that can weld it for you. This arm holds the brunt weight of the door (over 500lbs).... So I would assume that you dont want it breaking again and falling on you or your cars...

As far as the interlocking peices. ..... Well it could be something as simple as a pin, or glue. I dont know what you are reffering to so I cant suggest a fix.

Next, you cant use regular silicone from a tube to fix the job. You need ________ silicone, I am not sure of the exact name, but it is meant for load bearing jobs.

As far as getting another peice made. If your motor is from Sears, just go to their parts department and you can buy new individual peices. The rest would have to be made at a metal fabrication shop...

I hope I helped a bit, keep us updated.

Dave

Well I don't think we are talking about the same brace, as mine doesn't suport THAT much (or at least I can't tell if it does).

Anyways, I'm opening the door by hand for now. I'm calling in a real garage repairman tomorrow to see if it can be fixed.

Recommend anyone? Or did you do it yourself?

I'm certain our motor is fine, but the door is on its deathbed. Been fixed a couple times already for I don't remember what.

Yea repair men are good. They will know what to do.

My old man fixes whatever breaks, he is handy. I am only handy with electronics.