Quantcast
Using cell phones from overseas - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Using cell phones from overseas

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Using cell phones from overseas

Does anyone know what's the possibility of getting a cell phone from somewhere like Hong Kong and unlocking it to use here (particularily on the Telus network)? Are the phones over there relatively cheap?

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

i think you need to buy a Tri-band.. and when i was in Hk over the summer.. the only tri-band they got was

T68i
    V60
    V66
    -- some crap phone---

the T68i was 3088
    v60 was 2800
    V66 was 2500

In HK dollar... im not super if u need to unlock it

My Ride
    a nice pair of and1's

i think most cell systems overseas use GSM phones, so unfortunately if you want to use it on the TELUS system, you're going to be SOL...

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

I have a motorolla v-8160 from hong kong that came from hong kong. its a digital vader, but when i used it under telus, it became analog only...
    omgwtfbbq

Phones aren't cheaper in HK, just cooler. Also, even if you can get a phone unlocked, the software Telus has to install onto your phone most likely will not work. I know a few people who tried to bring phones over, all they have is a neat looking toy that collects dust.
    Damn +44411's

Finding a phone from overseas that will actually work on the telus network is gonna be next to impossible due to the fact that they all operate on different software that has to be in the phone. If telus does not carry that phone then there isn't gonna be a telus software that is gonna make it work and if it does work, it's gonna be roaming all the time cause you can't write in the Telus preffered roaming list.

If you're gonna get a phone from overseas, just get a GSM and go off Rogers or Fido, just pop in the SIM card and you're ready to go. It'll save you the headache

My Ride
    2Look slk

I've brought back every single one of my phones from Hong Kong except for the V70. The only reason I didn't get the V70 from hk was b/c I was too impatient to wait a month to get it there.

If you are the type of person that likes to sign on contracts, then phones are cheaper in Canada since the operator network absorbs most of the cost of the phone.

However, if you were to buy the entire phone out with no contract, then phones in Hong Kong are a lot cheaper. As well, they always have the latest phones that aren't available in Canada yet.

As for using the phone in Canada, it is best to buy a world phone (GSM- tri band) or a GSM phone with 1900 mhz, which means using it on a GSM network (Fido, Rogers).

The costs to unlock a phone in Canada are ridiculous. They charge about $200. You can unlock it at one of my dad's factories in hk and he only charges $2!! (let me know if you need to) When I go back next month I am unlocking two V70's for use with the Fido network. Rogers GSM sucks!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Thanks for the responses everyone. I won't even bother than. I figured if it was cheaper and it worked over here, why not? I'd prefer to stick with Telus anyways, but maybe I'll look into what Fido has to offer since my contract will be up next year.