Quantcast
Side-Exit Exhaust - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Side-Exit Exhaust

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Default Side-Exit Exhaust

I was reading a muscle car mag, and they reviewed the new Viper SRT-10. I've been into cars all my life, but recently I've only really got into cars. I have a question that I hope some people may answer.

The SRT has side-exit exhaust on both sides. The magazine said if the pipes didn't cross over under the car, it would sound like a car running to I-5s. Why?

My Ride
    KA-T S13

Because a V-10 is essentially two inline 5's placed together at an angle (commonly 45degrees). Since you have headers coming off each side, and you have 5 cylinders on each side of the engine, its like having two inline fives, and if the exhaust manifolds are seperate from eachother, then yeah, thats what it would sound like. By merging the two exhaust flows, it will likely sound twice as deep. Or so the mag could theoretically claim.
    Last edited by Scat; 04-22-2004 at 06:12 PM.

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Thanks, I'll have a few more questions once I remember them (I'm forgetful )
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

Originally posted by Scat
    Because a V-10 is essentially two inline 5's placed together at an angle (commonly 45degrees). Since you have headers coming off each side, and you have 5 cylinders on each side of the engine, its like having two inline fives, and if the exhaust manifolds are seperate from eachother, then yeah, thats what it would sound like. By merging the two exhaust flows, it will likely sound twice as deep. Or so the mag could theoretically claim.
    Whoa I never knew that. So is that why a lot of manufacturers have a connecting pipe in the middle, thus not a true dual exhaust? I was always under the impression that a trure dual exhaust would give more power on a big enough engine so I wonder why some manufacturers join the pipes in the middle then split again at the end? Doesn't make sense to me. It can't only be for a better sound right?

My Ride
    Turbod Honda

you guys got it wrong, the way the viper engine works, is it fires 2 cilenders at exactly the same time. So with out the cross over pipe, and a good quality exhaust, you Viper is going to sound like a Tractor, lol.

The reason why there is a H pipe(X-pipe, cross over pipe, etc) is to equalise the flow and give better power.