Quantcast
whats the best synthetic oil???? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: whats the best synthetic oil????

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Castrol

6 7.41%
  • Mobil 1

55 67.90%
  • Royal Purple

9 11.11%
  • AMSOIL

10 12.35%
  • Shell

1 1.23%
  • Torco

0 0%
  • Hi-Tec

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: whats the best synthetic oil????

My Ride
    Soon: 97 GC8 w/EJ22 Stroker

Mobil 1, Good Reviews.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Originally posted by Weapon_R

If someone really wants me to dig up some information on Amsoil, i'll do so. It takes a simple search to uncover some of their claims. They are overpriced and do not perform accordingly. I wouldn't hate on them if they worked well, but they simply don't. If you really want to spend more money than its worth, by all means, order a case of Royal Purple or Redline. I still will stand by Mobil 1, however, as it performs just as well, and sometimes better, than the premium priced oils. Besides, like it was already mentioned, if Mobil 1 is good enough for the world's most demanding vehicles (ie Porsche), they are more than enough for most of our vehicles too.
    Please can you dig this up and post it here or pm me? I put AMSOIL in my car the last change, and my mechanic swears by it. I would like to know whats wrong with it? Supposedly they have 12k km drain intervals.. i have 1000kms left till i replace my oem filter on this change...
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

im gonna say mobil 1

My Ride
    1988 Isuzu Trooper

O.K. I'll stir the pot. Why synthetic oil anyway? ALL name brand multi-vis oil is a blend of pertolium and synthetic anyway, so why pay the cost? I have a 1992 Explorer 4.0 with 225,000 miles with only an intake reseal performed and NO engine work, only good 3K LOF's. It burns no oil, only leaks a little (4.0L typical). The only oil used in it since day one has been 10W30 whatever is on sale!

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Yeah, and what's the compression and leakdown?

That's where you will see the difference between conventional and synthetic.
    Not in how much it leaks or any of that. Don't expect mileage gains from running synthetic (if you get any, they are minimal).

Not all name brand is a conventional/synthetic blend.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    You Crazy

Amsoil

Originally posted by Khyron
    Anyone found Mobil 1 5/40? 5/30 is everywhere. I know Mobil 1 Delvac has 5/40 but that whole "specially for diesel" keeps scaring me off from putting it in my 1.8L turbo.

Khyron

No need to scared. Delvac 1 only have extra cleaner addictive for diesel.

Delvac 1 5W-40 Product data sheet

I will go for 0W-40 for your 1.8T
    0W-40 Product data sheet
    x = way too fast
    y = bump in the road
    z = oh shit

x + y = z

Sorry to bother you. What is difference between "synthetic oil" and regular oil that I change for $15?

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by aopen
    Sorry to bother you. What is difference between "synthetic oil" and regular oil that I change for $15?
    Synthetic oil is way more resistent to breakdown in hot temperatures and flows better in cold/extreme temperatures.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Synthetic oil is way more resistent to breakdown in hot temperatures and flows better in cold/extreme temperatures.
    How often should I change "synthenic oil" ? Every 2k miles

My Ride
    335i

Synthetic oil lasts far longer than conventional oil. Some claims, such as those made by Amsoil, say that oil changes need to occur only as little as every 25k miles. I am highly suspect of this claim, but its safe to say that 5-7k miles is safe for most good synthetic brands.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Synthetic oil lasts far longer than conventional oil. Some claims, such as those made by Amsoil, say that oil changes need to occur only as little as every 25k miles. I am highly suspect of this claim, but its safe to say that 5-7k miles is safe for most good synthetic brands.

What you have to remember is, that as far as OIL TECHNOLOGY has come in the way of Synthetics and Synthetic Blends, is that the actual filter technology hasn't progressed very much if at all from the older days...so yeah regular change intervals still kinda do apply with Synthetic versus Mineral Oil...

I still change mine every 3500KMS though...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    83 Mercedes Benz 300SD & 93 Ducati 888 & 71 Ducati

Amsoil sells a Dual Filter setup for $180 that fikters particulates to.005, whereas your stock filters (Typically, Fram's, Kralinator, Motorcraft, Mann, Hengst, etc.) filter particulates to .030

I directly attribute the aprox. 440,000 Kms longevity (& it is still going strong) on my Mercedes to this dual filter system.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .

ok, without getting flamed too bad here...

if youre looking for a cheap, quality synthetic, go with

UFA Polar Plus synthetic oils.
    5 liter jug can be had for ~$20, depending on the weight.

Its the same as the Esso synthetic (forget the name) but rebadged for UFA.

Im running it in my diesel, and have been thrilled with it so far.

rico

see my other post on it here:
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.p...=&fpart=1&vc=1

My Ride
    1991 HDJ81 Land Cruiser

Originally posted by Ducati
    Amsoil sells a Dual Filter setup for $180 that fikters particulates to.005, whereas your stock filters (Typically, Fram's, Kralinator, Motorcraft, Mann, Hengst, etc.) filter particulates to .030

I directly attribute the aprox. 440,000 Kms longevity (& it is still going strong) on my Mercedes to this dual filter system.

wow thats a awsome system i checked it out on there website and now i want to buy one.... i never knew they had such a thing is there any other companys that make this dual filter possible???
    where will the road take me?
    Certified Vale PDR Technitian

My Ride
    Volkswagens

Motul 300V Competition 4T 15W50

Ester-based, 100% synthetic.
    Winner of the most famous endurance events: Bol d’Or, 24 hours of Le Mans, 8 hours of Suzuka, Daytona 200 Miles.

RACING (high performance engines and intensive riding) The 300V range is specifically designed to withstand both the severe conditions inherent in racing and the demands of a rider pushing his machine to its limits. This range of lubricants is perfectly suited to competition conditions from road-racing to endurance, motocross to six-days enduro.
    Because they are ester-based and enhanced with highly efficient and specialized anti-friction additives, the 100% synthetic 300 V lubricants need no or little viscosity improver additives. An exceptional resistance to shearing from one oil change to the next is therefore maintained.

The main performance figures common to the whole range are:

-A drastic reduction of friction within the engine, that results in better performance and reliability, a lower noise level and less wear on moving parts.
    -Reduced engine running temperature.
    -Exceptional coking resistance (i.e. carbon build-up) at high temperatures.
    -Low volatility (i.e. very little high temperature evaporation).
    These characteristics make 300 V Racing 15W50 and Sport 10W40 (the viscosity depends on the hydraulic pushrods) the lubricants that are recommended and used by leading racing teams. They ensure engine reliability and increased mileage.

That is probably one of the best synthetics available as it is used by many race teams (car and motorcycle). I would not use it in your daily driver as it is just not needed. Not to mention it must be very expensive. I would just use Mobil 1 as it can be found in most automotive stores and you can get it at a reasonable price.

Since most on this site are from Calgary, check out this Calgary company's website

www.motrlube.com

They are a true synthetic that have characteristics of a pure PAO (polyalphaolephin for those that don't know) that outpreform all synthetic motor oil that is either a blend of carbon base or made with esters. Guaranteed for 60,000 km between changes.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by doublepeel
    Since most on this site are from Calgary, check out this Calgary company's website

www.motrlube.com

They are a true synthetic that have characteristics of a pure PAO (polyalphaolephin for those that don't know) that outpreform all synthetic motor oil that is either a blend of carbon base or made with esters. Guaranteed for 60,000 km between changes.
    Ahhhh, good ole Sonny Stone's company..... How's selling oil recovery to the Arab's going?

It's just an additive is it not, not a motor oil?

Not sure about oil recovery... definately not an additive but a true 100% synthetic not a blend like Mobil 1 or Syntec. Gentleman that is looking after the store is Jim.

Question Amsoil Jury Is Out

I have sent an Amsoil oil sample in to an independant lab. I'm using the 7,500 mile or 6 month change interval oil. I'll let you know the results. (The sample was taken @ 7,000 mi.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast