Quantcast
Help - 1990 ford taurus - smoke from water pump??? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Help - 1990 ford taurus - smoke from water pump???

Default Help - 1990 ford taurus - smoke from water pump???

Hello
    HELP ANYONE!

I am about to purchase a 1990 ford tauras from a private owner. All seems to run well, however she said she has noticed a bit of smoke from undre the hood over the last 6 months, but did not affect driving. It apparantly isn not a lot of billowing smoke or she could not have conitnued to drive it for the past 6 months.

She had a mechanic look at it and he told her it was awater pump going bad and possibley burning surface oil from small normal oil leaks.

My question is obvious... does anyone know if this smoke problem is indeedd froma bad water pump, or if i should check swomething else out first. If i just have to replace the water pump no prob, but i dont want to risk having a head going bad or something.

ANY IDEAS?

Thank you,
    Nick

My Ride
    1988 Isuzu Trooper

If it's a 3.8 engine, be sure and check VERY closely in the timing cover gasket area. They are a well known failure spot. The gasket will "pooch" out on the side, and coolant will evaporate on the hot engine block. And yes I have seen water pumps start to leak too, and not "wobble" or be noisey. If yours is a 3.8 engine, the head gaskets will go eventually. If you do end up replacing the timing cover gasket, be sure and get the FoMoCo "updated" gasket, and be VERY carfull not to get debris into the oil passages in the engine. (Direct feed to the oil pump). NO gasket "cookies" are to be used!! Many rod bearings have failed due to this procedure.

Once again Thank you. I will definitely check that gasket area for leaks. I did not know htat was a popular failure spot. It is at 95,000 miles right now. Just trying to decide which of these to purchase, this or my other post. Both have a porblem that need fixed, i am trying to decide which is the better problem to fix (ie-- cheaper and easier for me to do on my own). I reallly appreciate your advice Jerry... .Thank you.

Nick