Quantcast
EGR VALVE /RPM Power loss ON 1993 LUMNA EURO BAD - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: EGR VALVE /RPM Power loss ON 1993 LUMNA EURO BAD

Default EGR VALVE /RPM Power loss ON 1993 LUMNA EURO BAD

I am told the EGR valve needs replaced. Check engine light goes on when going fast, and car has stroke prolbmes and high RPMS at hgiher speeds, losing power pickup quickly.

Is this power loss/rpm problem sound like it is also caused by the EGR Valve?

Thanks.
    Nick

My Ride
    1988 Isuzu Trooper

Nick, we had one in the shop the other day that the tech replaced the egr valve on and the ses light came on the next day. After quite alot of investigation, we found that the passage in the manifold was all but plugged with carbon. Also it's common for chunks of carbon to get stuck in the seat of the valve. Hope this helps.

Yes it does Jerry. I appreciate that. I am about to buy this car since he only wants $300 for it, and this prob is the only problme he is experienceing. I know how to change and/or clean the egr valve. Just was curious about the powerloss abouve 4 rms, it sounded to me like that is also the egr valve, or as y9ou say a clog in the manifod is a good bett. If that happens ill take the time to clean out hte manifold. He says he does not have a fuel leak or fuel injector leak, but I am wondering if he just doesnt realize it. Well see.

Nick

something don't jive here ,the reason for the mil coming on maybe the egr problem ,however this should not effect the vehicle operation at high rpm ,because that is when the egr is supposed to open .may have a couple problems there .

Thanks appolo. interesting. I wonder if the egr could possibly be stuck closed at the higher rmps instead of stuck open? Im not sure.... Possibly another valve of some sort in the manifold area is locked shut.

My Ride
    Really FAST Ones

However after extended period of being stuck wide open at WOT depending on the manifold it could heat soak the intake manifold causing a severe loss in power. If it was me I would manually close it disconnect it and then hit the road and see if the power returns it will definately set a MIL but you will know if that is what is robbing your power. Possibly a plugged cat cinverter also the increases back pressure may be setting an EGR code because the EGR sensor will look for a pressure drop in the exhaust if it has a PFE sensor ( most Fords) or lack of manifold drop. Best way to test that is to use a infrared heat gun and check the cat temps front and back looking for the differance. Another easy way to test plugged cat is simply to remove the O2 sensor and see if the vehicle has an increase in power of course this will set another MIL but at WOT you will be able to test this. Hope this helps in your decission.
    Lookin Good is Goin FAST
    "HOME of the AWD DYNO"

Thanks Dr Lightspeed...

I will check those... one question... do you have any suggestion how best to "plug off the egr valve" to check for popwer increase. This car has an egr valve unit as one piece that bolts off the engine with a piston stile plug that springs in and out. no hose to be able to plug... just lining up 2 metal to metal holes in the unit and engine.

any idea how to plug it to check for responsiveness?

nick

My Ride
    Really FAST Ones

are you shure there is no vacuum going there at all on a taurus.
    Lookin Good is Goin FAST
    "HOME of the AWD DYNO"

My Ride
    honda civic

I've been having a little problem with the EGR also. I have a honda, but I assume both systems are about the same. From what I read up on is that the EGR system works off idle, and mainly when the car is curiseing. If this s correct then the car should be fine at wot right? Thanks for any help
    Deals on performance tires check out www.mytires.ca

My Ride
    03' SVT Cobra 10th ann vert

i belive you have to find the PCV and plug one of those hoses