Quantcast
wheel spacers, how thick untill i need new wheel studs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: wheel spacers, how thick untill i need new wheel studs

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Question wheel spacers, how thick untill i need new wheel studs

so i picked up a set of fiero rims with intentions of using them on my spirit so i could use 245's up front and 225's out back. the fronts (backs for the fiero) are 15 X 7, the rears (fronts for the fiero) are 15 X 6.

both will fit on the back, but rub on the front callipers because i went with the daytona 11" vented brakes. i went and picked up some skinny wheel spacers (2-3mm) and tested them on a spare spindel/calliper assembally i have and they did clear (it was close though).

ARP makes wheel studs that are significantly longer and stronger, plus they are pretty cheap at 13 bucks a wheel (i only need these for the fronts), but they aren't made for my car so drilling, cutting, etc. is required and i might not be able to use wheel studs unless i cut them down (i'll probably have to anyways, they are 2 inches longer than stock).

my question is, do i need to go with the arp studs. or is 2-3mm nothing to worry about? this car will see track use and probably slicks, and it will be a high torque application (trying for over 300 to the wheels).

any input would be appreciated.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

It depends on how much thread goes in the hub before and after spacers...check with tirecraft or tunerworks...

My Ride
    85 Fiero

I'm not aware of what a FWD spirit has for a suspension setup, although couldn't you take off your hub and pound/press the new studs in?

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by 4CylFiero
    I'm not aware of what a FWD spirit has for a suspension setup, although couldn't you take off your hub and pound/press the new studs in?
    yes the hub assembally is bolted in so getting it out wouldn't be a big issue, but arp doesn't make a set of studs for the turbo dodges to the best of my knowledge, so modification of the hub might be required

My Ride
    Cayenne TT

Optimally you should get at least about 6 full turns, anything under that is like walking on thin ice...

but 3-5mm spacers should be ok, we carry a variety of spacers/wheel hardware In-Stock so come by if you need anything and we can help you out!

Thanks,
    Bobby

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

okay, checked it oput a little further, apperantly arp's for late model GM's will work on my car (PN 1007720) but i have to go to an inperial style thread instead of standard.

hopefully after i install the brakes tommorow i'll be able to tell if i need the studs or not.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

If they are stock studs, you should have about 10 rows of threads (maybe more, depends on the car) inside the lug nut when properly tightened. Adding a 2-3mm spacer will reduce it by maybe 1 or 2 rows of threads. If that is all you are adding, I would not worry, the rule of thumb is 6-7 rows of threads inside the lug nut.

The easiest way to tell is, tighten (snug, not properly torqued) all but 1 lug nut, then tighten the last one by hand. You should get 5-6 full turns. And usually 1-2 more with a torque wrench (if your studs are clean, you may get all but the last 1/2 - 1/4 turn by hand).

That is the rule I have used, and have never run into problems. Although, I would appreciate knowing if this method is not safe.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    03' SVT Cobra 10th ann vert

Originally posted by WBB6
    Optimally you should get at least about 6 full turns, anything under that is like walking on thin ice...

but 3-5mm spacers should be ok, we carry a variety of spacers/wheel hardware In-Stock so come by if you need anything and we can help you out!

Thanks,
    Bobby
    concept 1 told me it has to be 7 threads and up

Adam Adam Adam, get the car running first, then play with that stuff!!!!